What should we bring? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

Name: A&H
Trailer: Scamp std 16
Wisconsin
What should we bring?

Heading to Backus in a couple days to pick up our new Scamp 16! We will be camping the first night in the neighborhood for a shakedown. Any recommendations for supplies to bring? Thinking chocks, hose, cord . . . Any ideas for quick window darkening?

They are only four hours from home so we aren't going on a huge road trip.
birchbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
You don't need to be too practical. Bring some bedding, some food you can easily prepare. Paper plates, a knife and forks. Maybe a bottle of wine and plastic cups to celebrate. A flashlight, change of clothes, some bottled water and a few towels.
Maybe a small container of instant coffee so you can feel like real pro and survey your surroundings in the morning, cup in hand. Have fun and start making your list of things to stock the trailer with.

Just in case you need to level it bring a few pieces of 2X6 to drive up on to, or place under the leveling jacks. You might not even need to disconnect and might level it by driving the TV onto the blocks.

The most fun I ever had while camping in a trailer, was a windy night in the desert in a small trailer owned by someone else who lent it to us. All we needed was to get out of the wind and a comfortable place to lay down. All night the wind howelled and the trailer rocked in response. I was so happy to be inside. The power and magic of the desert was on full display. A little cocoon, somehow secure in the maelstrom, as we listened and felt its power.

As soon as you begin to overthink it and pack everything you can imagine, the magic begins to fade. Go simple. You can always bring things you forgot on the next trip. You don't need to have everything with you on the first night. In fact, you'll have more fun if you don't.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by birchbark View Post
Heading to Backus in a couple days to pick up our new Scamp 16! We will be camping the first night in the neighborhood for a shakedown. Any recommendations for supplies to bring? Thinking chocks, hose, cord . . . Any ideas for quick window darkening?

They are only four hours from home so we aren't going on a huge road trip.
quick window darkening....grab some bath towels from home.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
darken windows

You can put windshield protector/reflectors for cars, accordian fold up type. i stand them up between mattress and wall behind curtains. They will reflect heat, or cold and keep your camper more comfy if the temps are extreme.
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Tire iron and jack in the unlikely event...
Coupler lock and hitch pin lock

EDIT: And we always carry a few tools just in case.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Mosquito repellent
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Bring MONEY. Cash almost always works when you have a need. Bring credit cards for those OTHER expenses.

Remember, whatever you don't use will keep until next time! No refrigeration needed, even if it is COLD cash.

BEST
Kai

And--P.S. CONGRATULATIONS! HAVE A SAFE AND WONDERFUL TRIP!
Old 07-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Depends on where you are camping and what your new camper will be equipped with.

CindyL
Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
I think that ix excellent advice from John. Keep it as simple as possible-immediate needs- or you could be overwhelmed. You'll find out what you need as you go along. When we picked up the Scamp about a year ago we had little with us and did just fine. The past year I have found I am packing way too much junk. My most recent camping trip I have scaled down considerably and enjoy camping so much more. I am discovering what the minimal needs are as we gain experience and it just takes some time to figure out what works well for you.
JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We have not had a RV trailer in 35 years, went camping for the first time and to our surprise we were only out about $8.00 at Walmart to get what we forgot to bring. One was a flashlight, but I refused to buy one when we must have had 25 at home, other was some cooking items of some type. I can say we brought items that we didn't need and removed them from the trailer when we got back home, probably 10 pounds worth. My wife has a list which she made and the inside of the trailer is hers and I take care of everything outside, so far so good.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #11

Idaho
I remember we did get 3 things when we headed off to camp after picking up Scamp and I think we were gone for 2 weeks
1)Essential-small 2x4s for leveling-a local lumberyard by Backus gave us a bunch for free
2)nice to have but not essential-bought white water hoses at for about 4 times as much as walmart at a hardstore in Grand Marais
3) great to have but not essential-bought rubber gloves for emptying black water tank (actually essential when you are new at black water tanks!)
course you will need camping stuff for cooking, sleeping but not RV specific
Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #12

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Be careful to unplug the 7 pin connector from the TV..I hear leaving in in place can drain the batt of some TVs..wh means jumping the truck off in the AM. FWIW Learned this at Casita factory
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #13

Idaho
Yes, the Scamp factory told us this as well before our initial departure.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #14

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Don't forget TP!

Mark
Old 07-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Be careful to unplug the 7 pin connector from the TV..I hear leaving in in place can drain the batt of some TVs..wh means jumping the truck off in the AM. FWIW Learned this at Casita factory
Also, be careful to unplug the 7 pin connector before you pull the tow vehicle away when unhooking. I learned this the hard way, which is why I now have a list...
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Mark; that is so true! While you can buy TP in every town and probably every mini-mart, nevertheless, if you forget it you'll might well be reminded of that fact at the worst possible moment.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Yes, towels and Reflectix (mylar bubble wrap available by the foot at hardware stores) can black out windows. We used dark, lightweight, fleece blankets hung over the curtain rods. If it's extra cold, I prefer to use them as blankets rather than blocking out the sun although they do insulate the windows. Later, you may want to make hand-rolling window shades as in my previous posting. Search in FGRV forum for the Google drop-down for "Gilda window shades".
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote