What size FGRV to get? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
What size FGRV to get?

So, I am going to buy a trailer early next year and I am wondering which ones i should be looking at. Right now I am thinking about the 13 foot Scamp. The only thing I am worried about is space. My wife and I will have 3 year old and a newborn next year, so this needs to fit our growing family. Is the 13 footer enough space? We are going with no bathroom in which ever we decide, but would a 16 footer be more practical? If we were to need a bigger trailer I was also thinking of the Parkliner, which setup seems real spacious. We are outdoor people and would cook mostly outside and have a dining fly up over a table to eat and hang out a lot. The trailer would be for naps, sleeping, hanging out some, and hanging in the rain. Does anyone gave experience in a similar situation? I know once our kids are bigger we can kick them out to a tent What have people found? Thanks, sorry for the long post.
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hi Nick, welcome.

For every camper there is a different solution, depending upon needs and desires. You will find lots of varying opinions from members here, much of it driven by there decisions and purchases.

With kids, I personally would think that a 13' would be too small, but some have done it. There are many people on here who use a 13' for one or two people. Once you get to 15', you have more options available.

Are you looking to buy new, or for a used trailer? Have you also considered Scamp and Escape?

You could always look for a decent used trailer and just give it a try for a year. You could gauge from it what you really do want and need, then resell it for near what you paid for it, and then look for what suits you better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Nick,

My favorite fiberglass for a family who can do without a bathroom is the Scamp 16 foot layout #7. This assumes you have a tow vehicle that can handle a 16 foot Scamp. Also, there are very few #7 Scamps made. This would be very difficult to find used.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroo...-trailers.html

A Scamp 13 without a bath is used by families too, depends on your family.

Try to visit a gathering to see different units, however I doubt you will see layout #7.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know a family of four, two adult parents and 8 year old girl and 6 year old son and they LOVE their 13' Scamp. Now, their "love" might not be yours... but if all things were equal, you'd know your kids can grow into a 13 footer. I've got some links to cool mods for the front gaucho area for kids... if you decide a 13 footer is the way to go.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
Donna,

I would love to see links, I think the 13 is perfect, but it will really be my wife's decision. I will be laying it on pretty thick this winter. I have been looking around this site for a while now and see that you reply a lot. Thanks for your help.
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nick these are my two favorites:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-24663.html

This one is on Facebook, can you see it?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9709377&type=3

That's a start and might get your own idea juices flowing!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...The more water-related equipments are there in a trailer, the more head-aches and prones to leakages, ans worst in particularly non-fiberglass trailer. Take a few trips to the park's bath facilities would beat the...head-ache. I have 2 kids, 11 and 12 years old and we...love our 13-foot Trillium. ...On top of nonstop going up price of fuel then spend a few weeks per year of camping, I would stick with the...Trillium 1300.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
For some families of four, the 13 footer would be perfect; for others, it would be uncomfortably, unbearably small. Only you know what will work for your family. We are a family of 6 and many, many people would say our current trailer is too small for a family that big. Keep in mind, however, there are a lot of years between newborn and when you can kick the kids out in their own tent. If you haven't already, I would suggest you try to find a 13 footer somewhere near you and take the whole family to spend some time sitting inside it. Then imagine it with the baby, too.

On a different note, having had trailers both with and without a bathroom, I will not again have a trailer without a bathroom with kids. It was great having our own, clean bathroom when the kids were potty training and I've been grateful for it when, for example, I have had a kid get sick in the middle of the night on a trip. And we have literally hosed down some very dirty kids a time or two on extended camping trips.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Take a look at the floor plans on the Scamp web site. Look closely at the difference between a 13' and 16'. Look for where the extra 3' is located. That should help make the decision.

For 2 of us the 13' is plenty big enough. The options available are about the same for either with out the toilet/shower.