What size Quilt? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
What size Quilt?

I'm going to see if I can find somebody to make a quilt for the trailer. My question is how much bigger than the mattress should the quilt be since you dont need as much "hangover" as on a normal bed. The quilt will be tucked in at the foot and one side and probably want a little over hang on the front edge. Dont want a lot of quilt bulk tucked under the matress so is there a rule of thumb as to how many inches to allow extra or those that have made custom bedding for your trailer remember the size and do you like it?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When my wife makes a quilt she goes to a store that sells quilts and looks at the measurements on the wrapper of the size she wants. She's on the brink of starting a quilt for the full size bed in our Egg Camper. We've bought a number of tee shirts from places where we've been especially for a quilt top. She made the same kind of quilt for our queen size bed in our Kodiak. With an instruction book you could make your own. Think of the pride in doing that. No special talent needed. Everybody who anything starts out knowing nothing and learn by trial & error, by a book, or with help from a friend.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Ya, I was contemplating attempting one. Dont think I'd want all the extra quilt bunched up under the cushions though for sleeping if I went by the store bought sizing since the beds in the trailers are much smaller and we dont need the overhang. I was hoping for some rule of thumb like 24" wider/longer than the bed etc. There are some really pretty star patterns I like but they look intricate so I'd better start off simple. Wish I had somebody local to teach me. I've taken the beginner classes at our local JoAnns but sewing a pillow or a pair of elastic waisted shorts isn't going to help much, lol. My local Community College doesnt offer any kind of sewing or even cooking classes as we looked into it for my daughter awhile back. Guess these are dying arts.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Smaller quilt...look at the, for example queen size specs in the store and, on the package, look at the finished size. Use that for a guide and add the extra to the size of your bed. Maybe there's a quilters club near you. Lots of those around the country. Friends of ours live in Belen, NM (not a big town) and she belongs to two or three clubs. Or find a quilting store. They usually give lessons. Good luck.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #5

Thanks! Didnt know about Quilting Clubs!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Debbie said that she made this one square since there is no need for overhang at the ends, Our bed is 54"X78".....
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 006.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I am a quilter and have made quilts for my kids, grandkids and i own a 1984 uhaul and a 1946 teardrop that I have also made quilts for, its not cheap, to make a double quilt with good fabric, not jo-anns fabrics but quilt shop quality, 100% cotton, the fabric would cost at least $100, plus you put what we call batting in the middle, another $30, backing another $50 and then you have to machine quilt it around $80 and i was told by my quilt teacher you should at least double your cost for labor so a double size quilt would cost around $550.00 to have one custom made. but you can go into pennys or llbeans and buy one from china alot cheaper. For the size you want to keep in mind your body will take up some of the width so dont think if your mattress measures 54 you need a quilt 54 because you have to take in consideration your body will take some of it. I also teach quilt making up here in n.y. and have a good sewing machine, bernina and a jonome and all the tools such as rulers, cutters cutting mat etc so there is much more to quilting than people realize. my machine cost me $3300.00 alone.
mary
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
nice quilt debbie
mary
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #9

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Hi; an easy way to make a quilt is to go to Walmart or a fabric store, buy the fabric that is already laid out in blocks and just put a back and some batting between. Put right sides of the front and back together with the batting between, pin it and sew around the outside edges leaving an opening to turn it right side out. After it is turned tie it with yarn or thread in rows about 6 to 8 inches apart. Also you can take two pieces of that soft velor type fabric. Cut in 3 inches around all sides of both pieces then lay one on top the other and knot the top one to the bottom one. This could also be used as a blanket, and you will not need to put a quilt on the bed, it saves time when making up the bed. As for the size of the quilt. I would measure the top of the bed and add about
8 inches to the width, so it can hang over the one side. It is difficult to tuck blankets in against the wall side. For the length it depends on if you want to cover the pillows so you will need to figure out how much extra it takes to go around the pillows. Also if you do a google search on quilt making you will find a lot of instructions out there. Good luck with your quilt
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #10

Thanks, Floyd! So if your bed dimensions are 54X78, how much bigger did she make the quilt?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Melissa, when I did my bedding I made it the length of the bed - if you dont want the quilt it to go all the way up to the head of the bed when the bed is made up this leaves you enough to tuck in at the bottom to keep your toes warm. To the width I added on each side the thickness of the bed plus another 5" each side (in my case that was an additional 20" to the total width of the bed) . This give me enough to tuck it in on the wall side as well as the open side & it allows for a bit of tossing and turning without loosing all the covers -its not to bulky to tuck in. In Floyd's photo the quilt is tucked under on the open side - I do the same on mine as I think it looks better and if left hanging it can get in the way when sliding the storage cubes in and out under the bed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Debbie said that she made this one square since there is no need for overhang at the ends, Our bed is 54"X78".....
How cute - Debbie has nice taste Floyd!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I would suggest taking a queen sized sheet and making up the bed as you would with a quilt. Then turn the edges under until you get it to the length and width that you are happy with. Don't forget to get in bed under the cover to check that you still have enough once the bodies are in place
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

Thanks Carol Ann, that's an easy solution and I already have queen sheets!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use queen size, but since Kevin steals the covers, I usually have my own too.

We use king-sized sheets, since we use memory foam. They tuck under the foam and cushions nicely.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Melissa,
Our bed in our 13' Scamp is a cozy 45" x 74". My standard queen/full comforters (not homemade quilts) are 90" x 74". When leaving the bed in place during the day we fold the comforter in half along the long edge making the comforter fit the top of the bed perfectly resulting in a neatly made bed. At night we open the comforter all the way having the 90" side laying crosswise to our bodies. This leaves plenty of loose overhang for each side making for marital peace as we are both known to "hog the covers". This works for us.
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Glad to be of help.
In our Trillium, it's a double/queen quilt that works perfectly. It was a bit too big in the Boler.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #18

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Melissa please post a pic and show us your finnished product. I made a quilt once. Notice I said once. I love the whole idea of quilting but the actual process of sewing things makes me cry. I get so discusted when I set down to a sewing machine. Good luck with your project.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #19

Well Shelly, not sure when/if that will happen. I havent had much luck teaching myself to sew either which is why I gave up and taught myself to knit instead, LOL. You'd think sewing would be easier but noooooooooooooooooo. I may take a quilting class and see if that makes things easier although I dont know if I have the patience to cut out those little squares/shapes and sew them together, lol. I love the idea of being able to personalize e'thing myself but like you the actual process is daunting. Maybe I'll just knit a blanket instead, lol.