What size water heater ? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

Name: Allan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Oregon
What size water heater ?

We have a Lil Snoozy on order.
It comes with a 4.0 gal. hot water heater.
Thinking about two of us to shower, is 4.0 gal enough or should we look into upgrading to 7.0 ?
Experience ?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Take a Navy Shower.
How to Take a Navy Shower: 5 Steps - wikiHow

Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We used a 4 gallon Ariston electric water heater as a point of use water heater for the kitchen sink in our lake home . We would get about 2 1/2 gallons of hot water and then the water was barely warm .The water heater held heat well but was slow to recover with only a 1500 watt heating element . If you follow Kevin's advice it will suffice but if you want to take a long hot shower neither heater would fulfill your needs. .When we camp in cooler weather and use a shower to warm up as well as cleanup ,we use the campground's facilities.
Propane water heaters have a much higher recovery rate.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
We have a Lil Snoozy on order.
It comes with a 4.0 gal. hot water heater.
Thinking about two of us to shower, is 4.0 gal enough or should we look into upgrading to 7.0 ?
Experience ?

It is very possible for 2 to take quick showers using the on and off switch normally found on the spray handle. But if upgrading the hot water tank you would need to make sure you have the grey water tank equipped to hold that extra water as well.

But the big question is when & how often are you going to actually be using the shower in the trailer? If I am not mistaken the Lil Snoozy hot water tank is electric which means you will need to be camping in a campground that has power in order to use - correct? If thats the case I suspect you will find most of camp grounds with power also have showers and its been my experience that the majority of folks that have small showers in there trailers regardless of the size of the hot water tank tend to use the campground showers rather than the trailers. Helps with keeping the amount of water going to the grey tanks manageable (don't need to drain off the grey tank if staying for more than a few days) and you get a much longer shower and don't need to wipe down the whole bathroom after! ;-)

I use my trailers shower often but that is due to camping off the grid and the hot water tank runs of propane but I can think of only 3 occasions in the past 6 years (well over 500 days of camping with electrical hook ups) where I have used the trailers shower instead of the campground shower - once due to the bad state of the shower (read dirty), another due to the campground power being out and they had no hot water and the other while camping in Washington State & the ranger station did was not open up early enough to get the special coins needed to shower.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I'm looking at a tankless installed. (Richard is really easy to work with.)
SCR2 N-10 Electric Titan Tankless Water Heater, 3.2 KW, 110/120V, 29 AMP - Amazon.com

I've used this heater in four houses, and have had no problems with it.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #6

Oregon
BUT.......................29 Amps?
Seems a bit much on 30 amp service.....
Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #7

Oregon
I guess we want to make the shower as usable as possible because very few, very few, campground showers are as clean as we would have them.
State campgrounds being the worse.
(except Arizona and Virginia which are immaculate)
The "navy shower" idea certainly makes sense, and cutting down on gray water storage is a good point. We are aware of water conservation and can make adjustments. I guess we'll try to adjust our wants to the 4 gal. unit and expand if needed. Thanx for all the input.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Campground showers are no less sanitary than any other public restroom, especially since no part of one's body except the feet need actually contact a potentially contaminated surface.

Wearing swimming shoes to a campground shower provides plenty of protection.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Campground showers are no less sanitary than any other public restroom,
Like campground showers there are varies degrees of clean and not so clean public restrooms Having said that though most campgrounds I have stayed at are kept pretty reasonable.

Yup wearing something on your feet while using public facilities no matter where is a good idea.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I'd almost bet that a 29 amp hot water heater will blow a 30Amp service breakers in most RV parks/campgrounds simply because they are a) Old and b) often used as ON/OFF switches. Both a & b will reduce the trip point for most breakers.

I guess that speaks loads towards having an LP gas water heater. We have hot water in less than 10 minutes and a 4 gallon heater is more than enought for 2, remembering that water is scarce and showers may not be appropriate for recreational use, esp in the West.