what staples do you keep in your trailer ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
what do you keep in your trailer during the times you know your going to be camping in the spring and winter...
I mean .. like coffee.. sugar.. salt .. pepper... ? I have those in there in containers, but wondering if some prepared foods would be ok? I sure dont want mice trying to get in ..
I have taken Mac n Cheese. "completes the prepared dinners" to stick in the microwave for lunches... but I dont want to keep packing and unpacking that stuff...

Any other foods you could store in there for a quick get a way?
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Canned goods, they are heavy but store well. Chile, soup, tuna, chicken, hash, spaghetti sauce, canned veggies.... that sort of thing. Crackers, and cookies stored in zip lock type freezer bags. Coffee, tea bags and instant hot chocolate mix. Boxed mac and cheese, rice a roni, and noodles.

With the above I can mix and match and come up with several different meals.

Edited to add I rotate the food out of the trailer by replacing stuff now and then and bringing stuff into the house to use it and replacing it in the trailer.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: "STAPLES" Duct Tape maybe but never had a need for staples??? Now coffee...well thats another matter. Mice seem to like most everything. Red Squirrels like green grapes, ask me how I know???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #4

ALF" LOL you must feed the squirrels ?? Duc tape is a 'must" for sure!! cant leave without it!

Lizbeth.. thanks... oh dont forget the popcorn! I like the 'mini' bags..
Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Not much lasts in my trailer. If I have to go UP to the car to go to the store for a forgotten item.. well, the trailer is next to the car..

you get the idea.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We virtually strip our trailer at seasons end at the end of October, including bedding, mattresses, curtains and any batterys left in any appliances. Restock completely like we have spent all day doing today for the Egg Meet this coming weekend.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
After fighting tons of black ants in our trailer - the morning we were all packed and ready to go camping... we don't keep anything stored in the trailer that isn't in cans or plastic containers.

This ant problem set us back about 3 hours.. loss of $$'s for everything that wasn't secured in a container.. even things in boxes never yet opened.. They were everywhere, and what a mess. It only took one time to teach us that lesson. Our first stop was the market.

Now I put everything not in containers together in one spot in the house and it doesn't take much time to take it to the trailer.

Hint: I found if ants are crawling everywhere - use your vacuum and they are sucked up with no spray residue. Empty your bag and you are done. They evidently are deaf because they don't scatter.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
We virtually strip our trailer at seasons end at the end of October, including bedding, mattresses, curtains and any batterys left in any appliances. Restock completely like we have spent all day doing today for the Egg Meet this coming weekend.
doug.. darn i meant spring and summer....Winter I do the same thing.. everything comes in the house.....Have a great time at the Egg Meet....
I am hoping the weather will be nice for this weekend also... will head out for 3 days if I can....
Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #9

Registry
never try to eat the can of mandarin oranges after it feezes a couple of times.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
One can of ant spray to spray the bases of stabilizers, around the tires and the 120 volt power cord when there are hook-ups. Not usually necessary when only stopping overnight, but doing a walk-around looking for ants, trash, nails or glass, etc. is never a bad idea!
An ounce of prevention is worth...!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 17 ft Bigfoot
Quote:
what do you keep in your trailer during the times you know your going to be camping in the spring and winter...
I mean .. like coffee.. sugar.. salt .. pepper... ? I have those in there in containers, but wondering if some prepared foods would be ok? I sure dont want mice trying to get in ..
I have taken Mac n Cheese. "completes the prepared dinners" to stick in the microwave for lunches... but I dont want to keep packing and unpacking that stuff...

Any other foods you could store in there for a quick get a way?
After one little go-round with an ant invasion, there is absolutely nothing that goes into our trailer that isn't first transferred into a plastic container that has a secure and tight lid. And other than that one unhappy experiece we haven't had any problems with food storage even though we leave basic dry foodstuffs in the trailer all year long. We've got small containers of several spices and sugar plus larger ones of noodles, hot and cold cereals, rice, dried beans, sun-dried tomatoes, tea and a pancake mix that only requires water. We rotate them out each year but we've done this for as long as we've owned a trailer. Many times it's given us an option to stay an extra unplanned day or two at some more remote camping area - though those pancakes do taste a lot better when mixed with an egg and some milk!
Pat B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #12

Registry
Kurt.. doggies and ant spray don't mix.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I keep peanut butter (because I use it to give the dogs their pills.) I also keep coffee though I would usually not drink it without milk so I also keep those non-refrigerated milk boxes (single serve.) I usually have a can of chili and one of hash, and some other goodies like smoked salmon in a can.

I don't really keep too much in the trailer. What I keep is either in case I forget an essential (coffee and peanut butter) or in case I didn't plan enough food (the cans.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #14

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Since I don't use my icebox as an icebox, it keeps items pretty secure when used as a pantry. Even insulates stuff that you don't want frozen in those early spring campouts.

I woke up to 12 degrees Saturday morning and there was ice in the dog water bowl. Brrrrr. Couldn't get that coffee going fast enough. Sadly my dog made sure that there was no room for me to crawl back in to bed after the coffee was started. Anyway, things in the icebox/pantry were still fine. The only way ants would be able to get in is through the water tube that the melted ice goes down.

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Once camping season starts, I keep the pantry pretty well stocked (I don't seem to have the ant problem (probably because it's so wet around here the tires are always sitting in a puddle - like a built in moat )
Salt/pepper
Assorted seasonings
tea, splenda, coffee
gin, tonic
powdered milk
gatorade powder
sugar
oil
vinegar
rice,
oatmeal
nuts
raisins
Peanut Butter
a bunch of canned food (soup, tuna, evap milk, etc)
packaged meals like mac-n-cheese, or those 1 box Indian or Thai dinners
Power Bars
Chips and other snack type stuff

I have a special small tupperware container in my fridge that I keep stocked with small jars of mayo, etc - so it's easy to grab and throw into the camper fridge. Then I decide what fruit, vegies to bring.

I try not to keep chocolate in the camper - I did last year for s'mores and they all melted.

A friend came camping with me last fall and commented that I had more food in my camper pantry than she had in her whole house!! (Probably not too far off).
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We have quite a lot of staples stocked into our trailer, much of it stored in IKEA plastic storage bins.

The neccesities: those little vaccu-pack ground coffee packets that make one 12-cup pot of coffee (or two somewhat weaker 8-cup pots, which is what we do), coffee filters and powdered Irish Cream coffee creamer (my vice, not Lynne's . . . she takes hers black).

Other stuff:
  • There'e always pasta meal makings. We keep dried cheese tortilini and sphaghetti noodles and (at least) two small tins of pizza sauce to smother the pasta.
  • A couple single-skillet box-meals.
  • Pancake mix.
  • Granola.
  • Various canned goods: soup, some veggies, stewed tomatoes, chili, Spam & tuna (to add to box meals).
  • Single serving rolled oats with rasins, nuts, brown sugar and other oatmeal dopings stored in plastic yogurt cups (Toss into bowl, add one y-cup of water and microwave. Simple. I can do this before coffee.)
  • 10-Minute Brown rice.
  • Couscous.
  • Sun-dried tomatoes and dried mushrooms.
  • Cooking oil.
  • Spices, salt, pepper.
  • Bullion packets.
  • Tea bags.
  • S'more makings.
  • Granola bars.
  • Microwave popcorn.
  • Little restaraunt-size packets of jam and (sometimes) peanut butter.
  • And some other stuff I've forgotten.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bye all, I'm off to eat dinner at Peter and Lynn's trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Quote:
Bye all, I'm off to eat dinner at Peter and Lynn's trailer
Peter and Lynn have more staples in their trailer than I do in my house!! When can I come shopping?
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
My Scamp's spice rack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Oct29SpiceRack1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	13050

--Peter

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Quote:
My Scamp's spice rack.

Attachment 13050

--Peter

OMG Peter that spice rack is fabulous!!!! I was thinking today how I was going to organize a spice rack....and what do I see in the background ginger and curry powder....what are you chef'n up over there.YUM
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote