What TEMP (High and Low) stops you from camping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #15
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Yesterday, in Dallas, it was 107 degrees F. This was the 70th day this year over 100 degrees (a new record). Even with air conditioning, we've not been camping this summer. But, autumn will be great!

1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
High temp varies depending on humidity. 70 with high humidity can be miserable and 90 with low humidity can be pleasant. Instead of camping in cold weather we snowbird in Arizona. Going out tomorrow for 2-3 days (Michigan) and highs probably going to be in the 50s with lows 30s or 40s. No issues there. Years ago some friends told us what they did for sitting out when it's cold. They lit some charcoal in an aluminum pie pan and put it under their chairs. Haven't tried it but sounds ok.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Years ago some friends told us what they did for sitting out when it's cold. They lit some charcoal in an aluminum pie pan and put it under their chairs. Haven't tried it but sounds ok.
Gives a whole nuther meaning to 'hot crossed buns.'
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
That is why I bought a trailer with A/C and a furnace. Anywhere I can be comfortable in my portable "man-made" environment is fine. If I can do it at home, I can do it anywhere else too. Weather? What weather!
"Government doesn't have an answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #19
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
We used to snowshoe into the back country and tent camp in the Northern Ontario bush in the middle of winter. Now my arthritis dictates that we camp in the summer time or with a heater. Besides, I don't feel comfortable towing a trailer in snow.
Attached Thumbnails
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I really don't like camping when it's hot and crowded so we avoid summer camping from about the middle of June to right about now. Most of our fall, winter and spring camping will have nights down to or below freezing. That is why I need a heater that works to keep me warm at night. As for the day I don't mind it cool because we are usually moving and bundled up.
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring

Dido on the snow camping however mine was done in the Army and Not so pleasant.

We Have camped in the camper in the coldest to hottest weather.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I am doing this for retriever dog training.

Hot and humid vs hot and dry must be taken under consideration. Basically, if it is unsafe for the dogs or me, I won't train. Having said that, I can train in the very early morn and then take the rest of the day off.

However, if it is too hot for the dogs to be safe in the car or trailer, I'll just stay home.

Cold ... I like training in 40plus degree temperatures. I am fine at night in the trailer. But will start later in the morning to let the temperature rise.

MY best training temperature is low 50s to mid 60's. Partial sunshine as opposed to rain.
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Our temp range has been from 115*F to 3*F. As long as we can have electric, the airconditioner keeps us just fine in Southern Arizona. we can do with just a small electric heater down to about 12*F, but below that we need both the heater and the furnace.

But you must consider our Philosophy of Use, ..... If we can't have electric power, ... we won't be there. Our Casita is more of a "Personal Motel" than a "Camper". We don't Camp.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #24
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
well for example, right now at our fall trailer meet, asI type this it is a balmy (not!!!) 63 degrees. Our 'circle (Salamander) will fill up today.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
I don't like temps over 85, nor under 40, but it doesn't stop us.
Temps over 90 something will remind me why we have wheels, though. Why bother? But then, I don't like a/c and using electric to run it.
We've camped in the teens, without issue. I favor that over high temps. Probably the Scandinavian genes... far more comfortable in cold temps than hot.
Rain... after a few days is really, really monotonous in tiny trailers. Yet another reminder of , yes, the trailer has wheels.....
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #26
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
we don't care what the temps are....we've spent many nights using our furnace in temps as low as -15C and were toasty warm...and some--but not nearly as many---nights when the temps have been over 30C. by choice, i prefer the cold ones..because i can add layers....but those warm ones--they sure make it "tight" without A/C and only a fan or two.
in fact, we are heading out again in the morning---the temps are supposed to be into frost levels at night but that won't stop us, as long as the sun shines all day!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
About 10 degrees was the coldest, we had no heat in the trailer and the dog got inside my sleeping bag, that is how cold it was. Made it memorable...I like from 20 degrees to around 80- been to Florida when it got to 95 and 95% humidity, that was awful.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #28
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Last February was the coldest I've ever camped. Joshua Trees NP, Jumbo Rocks CG. Elevation is about 4,000 and I awoke to 23 degrees inside my trailer. A 2 inch icicle was hanging from the faucet. Nothing would work. The propane barely ran enough to get one burner lit, the furnace wouldn't light and the generator wouldn't work. Have no idea how cold it was or had been outside. I cranked up and left.

If I'd had electric hookups I'd have stayed but it is dry camping, not!!

I've camped with outside temps in the neighborhood of 30 degrees and that was fine. Any higher temp. is OK with me, I have no high max.

Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote