what to buy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Viking
I have been looking at eggs for a couple of mounths now. Thought I had it narrowed down to what I wanted. We have two children who like to go camping with us. I talked to scamp the other day I like the bunk beds in the front but the bed for my wife and me is only 44in to get the 54in bed it would be another 2,000 dollars for the delux. I also like the 17 foot sd by Casita but I think that will be to much hitch weight for my van to pull. I have a Pontiac Montana. Than I came across the 17 Foot Burro from what I see you can get the bigger bed in the back and the bunks up front. Does anyone have a Burro and what is the quality like. From the specs it lighter than the Casita and would be easer for me to pull. I am still new to the fiberglass trailers and I want a quality trailer that I can keep for a long time. The bath and shower is also important to us with the children.
mark Gustof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Mark, and welcome.

I have a Burro 17. First, let me ask.. did you actually find one or are you thinking of new? Burro has been out of business for almost a decade, but the website lives on... new is not an option.

Now, that said, It would be great for a family. I have had a few kids in the back of mine, which is set up without the table as a "living" room and they were playing with my cat quite comfortably.. so daytime "squeezies" during rain is bearable and doable. Lots of room for games and tv watching etc.

If you get one with a side bath, the "hallway" to the back is also reasonable for people to pass next to each other. The bed up front is just barely shy of a twin wide, and I actually sleep on it instead of the football field in the back. I do not have bunks.

Get one without the bath, and it becomes the "Dance Hall Edition".. truly a large and seemingly massive room.

Mine has ALL the bells and whistles and then some.. Air, funace, 3 way fridge, awning bath.. you get the idea, and it weighs in at 3k on the axles. I haven't done the tongue, but it squats my Jeep Liberty a little, so I added weight distibution to it.. problem solved.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Viking
The Burro that I have seen on the web have been used. I would like to buy something that is as new as possible. But an older one in very good shape would be fine. I was also just looking at eggcamper. That would be closer to my home. The big thing right now is a bigger bed for my wife and me like a little room.
mark Gustof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's going to be tough to find a trailer with a single large bed, plus sleeps two children and has an bathroom, all in a package small enough to tow with your vehicle. Not impossible though and it's probably going to require some modifications to suit your needs.

Mark, we have an entire topic devoted to your particular question: Family Friendly Floor Plans. Perhaps you'll find some answers there.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Mark,

I'm fairly certain my wife would take issue with my making public any of her dimensions but at 6'3" and the wrong side of 250# I'm a bit less modest. We have an 02 S16 side bath Scamp with front bunks and the rear bed seems plenty big for the two of us even on the rare occassions our grown daugher comes along (she sleeps on the upper bunk). At home, we have a king sized water bed (still clinging to the 60's and my long hair days) so its not like we're used to tight sleeping quarters. We did upgrade to a good mattress which is much more comfortable than the factory cushions.

I think this model would be ideal for someone with younger kids and would suggest you take a first hand look at one before ruling it out. I will say the shower/john is a bit tight for me.

Good luck in your search and let us know how it goes/

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Hi Mark
Check out the Escape trailer. Their 17 footer would accomodate a family of 4. They also have a couple of fairly new used ones for sale on their website.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
we are camping family of 4.. We have the Casita Liberty Standard.. King size bed in the back, and bunks up front.. with a pack a potie stowed.. Works great for us..

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pa...-12-12_0019.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pa...-12-12_0024.jpg

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z250/pa...t=112607034.jpg

more pics in my sig link
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
i also agree, if you are wanting a big bed for you and the wife, bunks for the kids and a full bath, you might want to consider a Scamp 5th... But that would require a different tow rig..

Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote