What to do about mail AGAIN! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Cool What to do about mail AGAIN!

I read all the posts about mail on the full timing forum, but we are not full timing it, Just going for 10 weeks or so. Therefore, buying a service from exscapees would be too expensive for such a short time, but they only hold your mail at the postoffice for 4 weeks....We are left not knowing what to do exactly. I don't think we will get anything too important as I do all my banking etc...online..so forwarding isn't neccesary, just what to do with the additional 6 weeks we are away?

IF anyone has suggestions, please bring em on!

ps. every time I try the search option on this forum, I get every post!! AS in, it doesn't work! So if this has been covered, other than the one I read on full timing, let me know where.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have no experience with this, but... since you can forward mail, what about having it forwarded to a nearby friend's or relative's house? Someone who would hold your mail for you. Or rent a large mailbox at a Mailboxes Etc or similar service, just for short term, and have the post office forward your mail there?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Friend or relative to pick it up at the post office once a week or every two weeks is what we do. Post office will keep holding it for the three months we are away, but it can't accumulate there for more than 30 days. My aunt picks it up weekly, sorts out anything that looks important or is on the list I left her of what to forward, stuffs it into a priority envelope that I have already stamped and addressed to "General Delivery" with the town and zip code of where I will be and mails it. Works great in our situation where we spend the winter months mostly in one location. My local post office did not recommend that we have them forward all mail for that short of a time period. If you don't need anything forwarded, is there someone that you could authorize to pick up the mail at the post office and hold it for you or leave it at your house. Now see the thread of what to do when leaving your house empty in the winter.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We did exactly what Mary & Bob suggested when we full timed for a year in 1978 and it worked perfect then as it will now. All you have to do is be able to guess where you will be in two+ days. Never missed a single mailing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What about renting a BOX at the postoffice then Let them worry about it. Dont tell them B 4 hand, just do it.

Forward your mail to the PO Box.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
I was thinking of renting the box as you say Darwin, but wasn't sure how they would handle the amount of mail piling up.

We live in a very rural area and it's a mile to our mail box, ha ha...so It's a lot to ask someone to do for almost 3 months, which is why it would be nice to have it at a mailbox rental. hmm....I think if they will hold it for 3 months as long as it's picked up once a month, I could ask a friend who goes into town to help out and pick it up for me a couple of times.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into your other post Mary and Bob.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I took a 2-month sabbatical a couple of years ago and had to deal with exactly what you are describing. We already had a post office box, since there is no home delivery in our area. We arranged with friends to visit every 3 weeks or so and collect everything. It was only twice during the 8 weeks we were gone, so it wasn't a huge burden. I think you are on the right track. Rent a box, have your mail forwarded to the box, and arrange for someone to empty it periodically.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #8

New York
If having it sent on to General Delivery like we do I would allow 4 to 5 days lead time from sent to received. My aunt just sent a priority envelope Monday and we didn't get it until Friday. This was from upstate NY to Georgia. Longer distances may vary delivery time. Although I have no complaints about the US Postal Service, delivery times can vary. Not only us travelers do this but hikers, such as those hiking the Appalachian Trail in the eastern US and other long distance hikers use General Delivery to receive supplies on their route.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #9

New York
We also live in the country and our mail comes rural delivery. My aunt picks it up at the Post Office that the rural carrier delivers out of. Fortunately all this, aunt, our house, and PO is in a 2 mile radius so no inconvenience for my wonderful loving aunt.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We went to the post office in our small town .The postmaster there said he runs into this problem all the time (we live in a cold climate and many retired citizens in our area head South in the winter) He had us fill out the form for holding your mail but had us leave the starting date blank. The reasoning has something to do
with the postal authority doing an audit . They held our mail for 7 weeks one time. Don't know if your postmaster is willing to help you in the same way
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I live in the country, have my mail delivered to my neighbor. I do not go through the post office to arrange this. I talk to my carrier unofficially and he puts it in her box. I tell her what to look for and she notifies me when it comes and I give her a forwarding address. I've been away for three months and 4 pieces needed to be sent to me. I told her what they would be. Works like a charm.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote