What to offer?? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #61

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Nice thing about this stuff is all the options available when one goes to renovating.

One gets to decide what works for them, be it brand new state of the art, used, or throwing a cooler in the fridge hole and go camping. While mulling over or looking for that perfect deal or replacement.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #62

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have obtained two RM211 fridges for free. I think of that as cheap.

This trailer probably had an RM24 to start with, but an RM211 can be made to fit, or there are also RM24's around, but I like the RM211 more. I have seen several RM211's go for $100, or less. I have two spare RM211's, (for my 1300's) and two RM36E's, (for my 4500's). I have not paid more then $100 for any of them.

In a quick scan of kijiji in Ontario.
Here is an RM24 for $100:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-parts...ationFlag=true

Here is a 12 VDC only model for $75. Looks like the right size:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-parts...ationFlag=true

That's where a difference of opinion is. I would never spend the time to pull out a bad part and replace it with another part that's just as old, and could be just as bad. The only thing going back in mine is new.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just saying that's where the cost difference is.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #63

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
That's where a difference of opinion is. I would never spend the time to pull out a bad part and replace it with another part that's just as old, and could be just as bad. The only thing going back in mine is new.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just saying that's where the cost difference is.
Oh I totally understand.

But to me, the hour or two it would take to replace like with like is less costly then, as Carole said, $600 plus the time required to make a different sized fridge work. The gas line is probably in a different place, the wiring will need to be changed, The hole is either too small, or too large..... In fact, there are very few fridges that would fit the space an RM211 would fit in. Most don't have any freezer. So even if it stops working, which relatively new appliances sometimes do as well, (usually just after the warranty expires) very little effort and cost is wasted. Plus, I still have another spare.

Also, many old RV appliances are in nearly new condition. As if they simply were not used. One of my spare RM211's fit that description. On the other hand one of my spare RM36's, which does still work, has so much rust, I would not be surprised if it stopped working tomorrow. Lots of them out there though.

For the OP to pay as much for a fridge as the trailer might not seem right to him.

I hope most people don't follow my example. If no one buys new appliances, where would I get my supply of cheep spares.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #64

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Dave
Sure there is no Scottish in you? I have bought 2 RM211's , one for $35 and one for $60. The second one even came with the vents. Both had good cooling units but the first one had a bad door seal(didn't find it until I had swapped out the whole unit). All I have to do up here is look in the neighborhood for old tent trailers that are rotting away. Great source of parts for cheap(yes its the Scot/Irish in me). My 2 burner suburban cook top cost me $10 from a Boler owner that didn't want it. no need to spend a lot on these guys, a bit of looking around will do wonders even if you have to buy the whole tent trailer!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #65

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Ciaran

There are a number of things to consider with a project like this.....

A. cost of purchasing trailer

B. cost of repairing and fixing it up the way you want it. (beware of things you can't see or realize) and or unexpected costs.

C. time and effort it will take to accomplish this

D. value of the end project when the work and effort is completed.

Weigh this against the cost of buying one that is in good shape, road ready, and ready to camp.

Right on MC1. Well put. And then once you have your calculations remember to double your time and money hypothesis As it always takes twice what u figure it to be.......just sayin.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #66

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Dave
Sure there is no Scottish in you? I have bought 2 RM211's , one for $35 and one for $60. The second one even came with the vents. Both had good cooling units but the first one had a bad door seal(didn't find it until I had swapped out the whole unit). All I have to do up here is look in the neighborhood for old tent trailers that are rotting away. Great source of parts for cheap(yes its the Scot/Irish in me). My 2 burner suburban cook top cost me $10 from a Boler owner that didn't want it. no need to spend a lot on these guys, a bit of looking around will do wonders even if you have to buy the whole tent trailer!
I have been told that on my dads side I am of English, Irish AND Scottish decent. I am a U.K. mutt.

Tent trailers are a great source of parts. The ones that are from the same period as my Trilliums are falling apart now. One of the RM211's I got for free, along with a Coleman furnace and a counter top including a sink and three burner Coleman propane stove, (I had to take it all) came out of a tent trailer. The guy was making a quad trailer out of the tent trailer.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool New vs old

A new rock guard is $375.

trilliumrv.com

Go to Parts.

Have you ever seen the program "Dickering?"

Only Geartos can judge his own skill and commitment to a project such as this.
I have a few '"projects" sitting around my house. I hope I have learned not to overestimate my ability nor commitment.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #68

Alberta
Registry
Joe Thoen at Trillium / Outback had an old, (early 70's) style rock guard this year that he sold for $95. It did need some work though.