What to offer?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
What to offer??

I want to make on offer on this trailer I spotted a few months ago. Stupidly, at the time, I never peeked inside (as at the time I'd no inclination to make such a purchase - however, now I do!). All I know is, it's a Trillium - don't know age or anything. If it were in good condition (interior), what would be a fair offer to make? If in bad condition, what would be a fair offer to make?! Would really appreciate any advice as I'm planning on revisiting next month. Thanks, Ciaran
Attached Thumbnails
trillium2.jpg  
Geartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Go to Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and take a look at the photos of all the current Trilliums for sale and also look at the sold listings to get an idea as what to offer.

A great deal of course depends on its age, condition inside (everything working) - note a none working fridge could be a costly item, frame and axle in good condition or do they need replacing? I do not see a propane tank or battery up on the tongue.... which may or may not mean something. You may want to take a full propane tank and a changed battery with you when you go to check it out in order to check out what works and what does not.

Also take a look in the Documents Centre - the link is on the home page and print off the buyers check list when you go to look at it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
This one looks like it's been sitting for a long time and it will probably cost a bit just to move it. I'm thinking a flatbed trailer or perhaps at least tires and bearings if you choose to tow it. Then you're going to have to drop some serious cash to bring it back to a useable state.

As Carol suggests, take a look at what a similar Trillium would sell for if it was in excellent condition (which this one isn't), but then start deducting for parts and labor to restore it to something that you'd be willing to sleep in.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Under 1000 fantastic deal, under 2000 great deal, under 3000 good deal,it' looks like a 1300 and after a little clean up and zep it will look like new.if you pass on it send me a pm and I'll go get it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The exterior may not reflect the inside at all. It could either be a whole lot better or a whole lot worse. Without knowing if it's been sitting and leaking for years, I would hazard a guess at what you should offer. That gets down to you... what is it worth to YOU to own it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
If you do end up buying this little trailer, be sure to come back and let us know. Sitting there, it looks like it will require some major TLC to bring it back to life. Good luck!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And now for the minority opinion:

Unless your are a skilled mechanic, body repair person, electrician, interior decorator and/or have money falling out of your pockets, this might not be a good choice as a first FGRV.

Often newbies see a trailer like this and jump into it without a clue about the complexity and costs of rebuilding, put a ton of time and money into it, and then find out after their first weekend out that they can't stand the FGRV life style.

Unless this is a rare example, where it's as pristine as can be inside and needs little more than an outside clean-up and minor mechanical repairs, I'd look for something a little more ready-to-go for a first FGRV.

BTW: That patch looking thing at the bottom may be covering significant fiberglass damage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If it was me. $500.00
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #9

Registry
I might even be tempted to 'offer' to tow it away free. ;}
Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Does the seller have clear title to this ?
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Mine wasn't that bad looking but these trailers are magnets for mold on the exterior. It cleans up with a bit of javex and water and some elbow grease. Then wax it up. Go low with the price , like the $500 suggested and if the interior is bad , then either its a project for you or clean it up a bit and sell it for 4x what you got it for
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Ciaran

There are a number of things to consider with a project like this.....

A. cost of purchasing trailer

B. cost of repairing and fixing it up the way you want it. (beware of things you can't see or realize) and or unexpected costs.

C. time and effort it will take to accomplish this

D. value of the end project when the work and effort is completed.

Weigh this against the cost of buying one that is in good shape, road ready, and ready to camp.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #13

Registry
I don't think you'll have to worry about finding anything 'good' on the inside. Considering the front rock guard is gone, plywood over the frig vent and missing caps over the ports, whatever is stuffed in one of them, the front window also looks like it has wood over the escape hatch and one of the panes missing.......

This will be a complete make-over. But if you have the skills.........
Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #14

I think that almost every one is suggesting that it might not be a good fit for an FGRV Newbie.

But often I have found that owners of rigs left setting like this think that they have an antique goldmine, and are letting it grow in value as it ages. Don't be surprised if the sellers start price is over $5000 because he/she will say "I saw one just like it on Kijji last month for $10,000 and it wasn't near as old, rare, classic, antique, collectable and as much desired as this trailer."

Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Under 1000 fantastic deal, under 2000 great deal, under 3000 good deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
If it was me. $500.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Go low with the price , like the $500 suggested and if the interior is bad , then either its a project for you or clean it up a bit and sell it for 4x what you got it for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that almost every one is suggesting that it might not be a good fit for an FGRV Newbie.

But often I have found that owners of rigs left setting like this think that they have an antique goldmine, and are letting it grow in value as it ages. Don't be surprised if the sellers start price is over $5000 because he/she will say "I saw one just like it on Kijji last month for $10,000 and it wasn't near as old, rare, classic, antique, collectable and as much desired as this trailer."
That pretty much explains the knock on the door lowball offers I get every year on my boler American. From the outside she looks rough because I have not gotten to it yet. In all the years of walk up offers I've only had one person ask the pertinent questions. Things like has the axle been replaced? Frame? Wiring? Fridge and furnace work? Plumbing?

That person was the only one to value the trailer within a few hundred of my perceived value at the time. The $500 low ballers look at me in shock when I tell them that would not even cover the cost of the new axle, brakes and tires.

Unless the inside is trashed, floor is shot or the frame / suspension are untowable Mikmay has it about right. The others are the extremes on either end.

Assuming the trailer is in Ontario like the OP, the trailer will have a Registration not a Title.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #16

Right now there are 3 trailers in my driveway and, in times past, there have been up to 5 Toyota motorhomes, so I am accustomed to a knock on the door asking to sell.

For the most part, these peeps are completely unaware of the market cost of these FGRV's and are a little surprised at the current values.

In 10 years I might have gotten 2-3 that were looking to steal from an unsuspecting seller. Maybe because of the number parked out there at times, the flippers just drive past.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I bought pretty much that exact trailer for $500.
It actually had tree fungus and moss growing on the outside!
Helpful hint...
I used purple scotchbrite in a STRONG solution of carwash soap with squeaky clean results and a fairly shiny finish.
Good luck and have fun with your project!
Below is it, after the scrub...
Attached Thumbnails
trillium unfinished 009.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
If the shell & windows are intact you can always replace the frame and axle, I stay with a low bid and the check all features in good shape and then bid as needed.
Trillium bodies tent to stay good unless a lot of water has gotten in. Then the floor will suffer.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The expensive things that have been mentioned (fridge & appliances. frame, axle, floor. electric & plumbing) and what they will cost to repair or replace are a big factor. Followed by your ability to do the work without the expense of paying for labor.

If it's been sitting for several years expect to need tires and to grease your bearings before it can be towed. Year of manufacture on tires should be on the sidewall. How long it has been sitting is hard to tell from appearance, that black crud can build up fast.

Which is sort of the conundrum. If it's basically sound and with tires and some grease you can drive off price should be higher. If it's rough it is worth less but you have a load of work ahead of you.

You might want to find out prices for all of the items that people have mentioned and be prepared to subtract value based on the price of the things you will need to replace.

Looking inside would not answer the question of "condition" that will require a through inspection. Rotted floor around the edges under the cabinets is going to require some digging to find. Assume anything you can't test don't work so as someone mentioned take battery and propane tank.

Expect if the gas line has been left open to the weather that water has gotten into the line, frozen and split the line. Won't be able to test propane if this is the case.

Offer what it's worth based on research into what they sell for and what it will take to get it in the condition those trailers sold for. Don't hurt to find out what they are asking and if prepared you can give them reasons for a much lower offer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What does the inside look like, is the frame solid and is there mold everywhere? The exterior is NOT what you may find inside!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote