What to offer?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #21

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
If it were me to buy it-with all diy project( electrical, plumbing, reinforcement frame welding, axle bearing replacement, ebrakes, flooring, new propane lines, body works, and also painting whole trailer....ect...)- I would pay...300USD, not more than that. Just my thought. One more thing, to be completed and ready for camping I would say at least 6 months of ..hobby works...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Right now there are 3 trailers in my driveway ...
In 10 years I might have gotten 2-3 that were looking to steal from an unsuspecting seller. Maybe because of the number parked out there at times, the flippers just drive past.
That must be a geographical thing.
When I park both in the driveway, the knocks on the door increase. Even with the lack of a For Sale sign, they automatically assume I am selling at least one of them.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I get lots of knocks at the door. I'm just saying that I don't get many that are looking to flip or that know the "right" questions to ask. If they are interested at the real prices I give them a sheet with a few links to sites that list FGRV's and to this site as well.

In SoCal, interest in FGRV's dips to "High" in the winter, before returning to "Outta Sight" in the summer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #24

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Go to Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and take a look at the photos of all the current Trilliums for sale and also look at the sold listings to get an idea as what to offer.

A great deal of course depends on its age, condition inside (everything working) - note a none working fridge could be a costly item, frame and axle in good condition or do they need replacing? I do not see a propane tank or battery up on the tongue.... which may or may not mean something. You may want to take a full propane tank and a changed battery with you when you go to check it out in order to check out what works and what does not.

Also take a look in the Documents Centre - the link is on the home page and print off the buyers check list when you go to look at it.
Thanks so much for the great advice - never thought of bringing a propane tank or battery with me - great tip - will check out that link to see what similar ones are going for - thank you!
Geartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #25

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
This one looks like it's been sitting for a long time and it will probably cost a bit just to move it. I'm thinking a flatbed trailer or perhaps at least tires and bearings if you choose to tow it. Then you're going to have to drop some serious cash to bring it back to a useable state.

As Carol suggests, take a look at what a similar Trillium would sell for if it was in excellent condition (which this one isn't), but then start deducting for parts and labor to restore it to something that you'd be willing to sleep in.
Thanks for the advice - are they really that expensive to restore - this may sound dumb, but I posted the same query on a similar facebook page seeking advice - general consensus was to offer $300 for it, and then spend $1200 doing it up - so a toal budget of $1500 - do you think that is too unrealistic??
Old 04-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #26

Ontario
Funny thing is the house where it's parked looks abandoned - so I'm not even sure if I'm even going to get to meet someone to put an actual offer in for it - going to leave them a note asking them to contact me. I posted a similar query on a facebook page for vintage travel trailers and the general consensus was to offer $300 for it and spend another $1200 doing it up - does that sound nuts to you??
Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #27

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
If it were me to buy it-with all diy project( electrical, plumbing, reinforcement frame welding, axle bearing replacement, ebrakes, flooring, new propane lines, body works, and also painting whole trailer....ect...)- I would pay...300USD, not more than that. Just my thought. One more thing, to be completed and ready for camping I would say at least 6 months of ..hobby works...
Wow - that's exactly the price I was hoping to offer! Will let you know!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #28

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
Great - that's what I was hoping to hear!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geartos View Post
Funny thing is the house where it's parked looks abandoned - so I'm not even sure if I'm even going to get to meet someone to put an actual offer in for it - going to leave them a note asking them to contact me. I posted a similar query on a facebook page for vintage travel trailers and the general consensus was to offer $300 for it and spend another $1200 doing it up - does that sound nuts to you??
Costs to fix? Depends on what it needs. A new 3-way refrigerator and an axle together will run you more than $1,200. You can always just clean it up, don't worry about if any of the appliances work. As long as it's clean and safe to go down the road, it can be used as a hard-sided tent.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #30

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
The expensive things that have been mentioned (fridge & appliances. frame, axle, floor. electric & plumbing) and what they will cost to repair or replace are a big factor. Followed by your ability to do the work without the expense of paying for labor.

If it's been sitting for several years expect to need tires and to grease your bearings before it can be towed. Year of manufacture on tires should be on the sidewall. How long it has been sitting is hard to tell from appearance, that black crud can build up fast.

Which is sort of the conundrum. If it's basically sound and with tires and some grease you can drive off price should be higher. If it's rough it is worth less but you have a load of work ahead of you.

You might want to find out prices for all of the items that people have mentioned and be prepared to subtract value based on the price of the things you will need to replace.

Looking inside would not answer the question of "condition" that will require a through inspection. Rotted floor around the edges under the cabinets is going to require some digging to find. Assume anything you can't test don't work so as someone mentioned take battery and propane tank.

Expect if the gas line has been left open to the weather that water has gotten into the line, frozen and split the line. Won't be able to test propane if this is the case.

Offer what it's worth based on research into what they sell for and what it will take to get it in the condition those trailers sold for. Don't hurt to find out what they are asking and if prepared you can give them reasons for a much lower offer.
Wow - thanks for all the great advice - will do as you suggest..
Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #31

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I bought pretty much that exact trailer for $500.
It actually had tree fungus and moss growing on the outside!
Helpful hint...
I used purple scotchbrite in a STRONG solution of carwash soap with squeaky clean results and a fairly shiny finish.
Good luck and have fun with your project!
Below is it, after the scrub...
Cool - very nice! And clean!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #32

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Costs to fix? Depends on what it needs. A new 3-way refrigerator and an axle together will run you more than $1,200. You can always just clean it up, don't worry about if any of the appliances work. As long as it's clean and safe to go down the road, it can be used as a hard-sided tent.
Great - thanks a lot - getting some fantastic advice here
Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #33

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Ciaran

There are a number of things to consider with a project like this.....

A. cost of purchasing trailer

B. cost of repairing and fixing it up the way you want it. (beware of things you can't see or realize) and or unexpected costs.

C. time and effort it will take to accomplish this

D. value of the end project when the work and effort is completed.

Weigh this against the cost of buying one that is in good shape, road ready, and ready to camp.
Gotcha! Thanks for the advice - appreciate it..
Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #34

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Wow - that's exactly the price I was hoping to offer! Will let you know!
...That is just my opinion based on an all diy Trillium1300 I bought as a very first camper trailer. If you are interested, you could look into my statistic of this forum and see all kinds of my posts with tons of photos. This Trillium1300 is still being modified when I got the time....Share with you..
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #35

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Fis-Up Expenses

Quote:
Thanks for the advice - are they really that expensive to restore - this may sound dumb, but I posted the same query on a similar facebook page seeking advice - general consensus was to offer $300 for it, and then spend $1200 doing it up - so a toal budget of $1500 - do you think that is too unrealistic??
Without knowing anything about it's condition or your repair skills, $1200 could do the job or disappear like a puff of smoke.

The biggest factor will be labor. If, as I mentioned earlier, you already possess all of the skill sets needed, $1200 might work, but if you have to farm almost anything out to the local garage/rv shop, labor costs will eat you alive.

For example: If the refrigerator doesn't work and needs replacing (90% that don't work usually can't be repaired) A new refrigerator, installed, is about $1400. If you can scrounge up a used one and install it yourself, about $200. If there is any rodent damage to wiring, and you aren't able to do those repairs, that alone can eat up that budget if the damage is extensive.

Gotta say, this isn't the best way to get into FGRV's. Abandoned fix-up projects hit the For Sale ads almost every day.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #36

Ontario
I see your point about labor - thankfully though I have a very 'handy' cousin who has offered his services in fixing it up should I ever get my hands on it!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I see your point about labor - thankfully though I have a very 'handy' cousin who has offered his services in fixing it up should I ever get my hands on it!
You have gotten some great advise but keep in mine that the cost of that trailer will depend a great deal as to the supply and demand in the area the trailer is located.... for example here on the West Coast of our fine country if the trailer was located within a few hundred miles of Vancouver it sure as heck would not be sold for $500 - more likely closer to $2000 maybe more. Even though it is a fixer upper. Being able to purchase a fiberglass fixer upper trailer for $500 would be right up there in odds with winning the Lotto Max - a rare event indeed About the only time you will see a fiberglass trailer no matter how bad of shape it is in going for under a $1000 in these parts is if someone has lost the Owners Registration for it and no serial number can be located on it to trace its ownership, so the trailer needs to be parted out as a result.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #38

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Carol raises a good point on price being regional and as some others have noted in earlier posts personal. Some people think it should be valued like antique of great worth, others may be willing to let it go just to see someone fix it up and use it.

Be prepared to walk away if it is not a good deal. That is why I stressed the "do your homework" on prices.

Be prepared to pay the "fools tax" that almost always accompanies fooling with something new. It's the price one pays for gaining knowledge and experience. None of was born knowing how to repair or rebuild campers. Most of had a need or desire at some point and so we learned. Sometimes the lesson comes at a cost in either time or money.

Don't ask me how I know not to tear apart the brakes and wheels on both sides when I don't really know how they go back together.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Don't ask me how I know not to tear apart the brakes and wheels on both sides when I don't really know how they go back together.
LOL something I have found handy (also learned the hard way) is when pulling something apart take picture as you take it apart so you have a clue as to how to put it all back together! Comes in very handy especially when replacing lights etc - to keep tabs on what wires where attached to what!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #40

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL something I have found handy (also learned the hard way) is when pulling something apart take picture as you take it apart so you have a clue as to how to put it all back together! Comes in very handy especially when replacing lights etc - to keep tabs on what wires where attached to what!
I used the picture approach when I was taking off the old scamp seam tape so I would know what pieces went in first and were overlapped by other pieces. Digital note taking.... it's a beautiful thing.

Have some wiring in my future will have to remember to do it then.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote