What to offer?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #41

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My 1988 Scamp 16 looked like that outside when I went to see it. The inside however was perfect. I crawled under the trailer to check the condition of the floor which was also perfect. Still, the trailer had sat for a long time and almost nothing worked. The axle (and then tires/rims) had to be replaced, as did the refrigerator, A/C, roof vent lid, cord port door, all the interior light lenses, couch seat back upholstery, all the rivet caps, black water drain valve (came with the trailer), exterior door handle, running lights did not work, etc., etc. Even a clean and tight trailer can be a money pit. Considering the cost of the items I had to replace I paid too much for my Scamp. That “fool’s tax” previously mentioned. The only thing that saves me from being hurt too bad is I have all the tools and can do all the labor myself so I may end up with about what the trailer is worth invested in it. There are a lot worse things than being right on the money in something, with new major components you know were installed correctly (but I still paid too much).<_<
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #42

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I bought pretty much that exact trailer for $500.
It actually had tree fungus and moss growing on the outside!
Helpful hint...
I used purple scotchbrite in a STRONG solution of carwash soap with squeaky clean results and a fairly shiny finish.
Good luck and have fun with your project!
Below is it, after the scrub...
Floyd,
You got a screaming deal on that trailer! What year is it? Looks like a 77 or later. It has the door window option as well. The rock guard is intact. I bet it also has shelves, a fridge, and probably a furnace.

The trailer in question looks to be in far worse shape:
Missing lower fridge vent
Missing rock guard
Broken front window
Never had a furnace
What is hanging out of the port beside the missing fridge vent?

The nice thing is that Trilliums tend to tolerant of neglect. The one I got, with a collapsed roof, still has a solid floor. The pontoons on the side help to protect the floor. But I would bounce up and down in front of the kitchen. If it feels spongy, just walk away. I am not aware of any way to change out the plywood in the floor. The trailer at that point becomes just parts.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #43

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
My 1988 Scamp 16 looked like that outside when I went to see it. The inside however was perfect....

.....with new major components you know were installed correctly (but I still paid too much).<_<
Not paid to much, just have to do more camping to recoup your investment! Works for me.

I may have to sink some money into mine so I have an excuse to do an extra long weekend or two this summer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #44

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
My 1988 Scamp 16 looked like that outside when I went to see it. The inside however was perfect. I crawled under the trailer to check the condition of the floor which was also perfect. Still, the trailer had sat for a long time and almost nothing worked. The axle (and then tires/rims) had to be replaced, as did the refrigerator, A/C, roof vent lid, cord port door, all the interior light lenses, couch seat back upholstery, all the rivet caps, black water drain valve (came with the trailer), exterior door handle, running lights did not work, etc., etc. Even a clean and tight trailer can be a money pit. Considering the cost of the items I had to replace I paid too much for my Scamp. That “fool’s tax” previously mentioned. The only thing that saves me from being hurt too bad is I have all the tools and can do all the labor myself so I may end up with about what the trailer is worth invested in it. There are a lot worse things than being right on the money in something, with new major components you know were installed correctly (but I still paid too much).<_<

Thanks for all this - I'm going back to the area in two weeks so will have a proper look at it then - will certainly check for a lot of what you have mentioned - thanks!
Geartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #45

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RogerDat's reply reminded me to mention:

Missing marker light lenses can be a major entry point for water and, if you see any, be sure to inspect inside behind them for water damage all the way down to the floor.

I am just finishing up refurbishing a tent trailer and although it was parked unused for over 5 years, the only water damage, and it was substantial, occurred directly below where water entered at a marker light who's cover had broken.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Floyd,
You got a screaming deal on that trailer! What year is it? Looks like a 77 or later. It has the door window option as well. The rock guard is intact. I bet it also has shelves, a fridge, and probably a furnace.

The trailer in question looks to be in far worse shape:
Missing lower fridge vent
Missing rock guard
Broken front window
Never had a furnace
What is hanging out of the port beside the missing fridge vent?

The nice thing is that Trilliums tend to tolerant of neglect. The one I got, with a collapsed roof, still has a solid floor. The pontoons on the side help to protect the floor. But I would bounce up and down in front of the kitchen. If it feels spongy, just walk away. I am not aware of any way to change out the plywood in the floor. The trailer at that point becomes just parts.
I know it was from the 70s... I recall it as a 73 but it could be a 77...It's been a while and it was one of many rehab projects.
As I recall, it had an Icebox, I repaired the stoneguard frame, and the DOT wiring was all new in the picture including those sidelights. It did have those neat shelves all around though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #47

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I know it was from the 70s... I recall it as a 73 but it could be a 77...It's been a while and it was one of many rehab projects.
As I recall, it had an Icebox, I repaired the stoneguard frame, and the DOT wiring was all new in the picture including those sidelights. It did have those neat shelves all around though.
The door logo is the reason I said 77. In 77 they eliminated the line under the logo. Also it has a Bargman L400 door latch, another later addition.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geartos View Post
Thanks for all this - I'm going back to the area in two weeks so will have a proper look at it then - will certainly check for a lot of what you have mentioned - thanks!
Don't forget Ciara's I get 1st dibs if you pass on this trailer. I just brought home a lovebug ( a boler clone ) in far worse shape than that trill and paid 800 for it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #49

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Check for a license plate. With that you will know it has a title in someones name. If not try to get the serial number. The Trillium people may be able to help if not the DOT in the province it is in, where it should have been licensed at some point. If the property doesn't have an occupant the local government should have record of the owner.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #50

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Be prepared to walk away if it is not a good deal. That is why I stressed the "do your homework" on prices.
Be prepared to be treated like a telemarketer if you go in with an unrealistic lowball offer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #51

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
If not try to get the serial number. The Trillium people may be able to help if not the DOT in the province it is in, where it should have been licensed at some point. If the property doesn't have an occupant the local government should have record of the owner.
Yes the governments may have the owner information but may not release it without meeting certain requirements due to privacy laws.

I picked up an 42 Chevy from a farm years ago. It was in the field when the current farm owner bought the property. Could not get a registration without the original owner getting a replacement first. Could not get any contact info for the original owner because the vehicle was not "abandoned" on the property of the current farm owner. Therefore I was not following the prescribed process for seizing abandoned property. Provincial laws said the vehicle had to through a process involving wrecking yards over a couple of years.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #52

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The door logo is the reason I said 77. In 77 they eliminated the line under the logo. Also it has a Bargman L400 door latch, another later addition.
Sounds like you are probably right, I sometimes forget my own age, let alone that of an old trailer... but "Old" seems to work just fine for both!

I got my federal "Senior Pass" last month and nobody has questioned me about a senior discount or menu for some time now
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #53

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Don't forget Ciara's I get 1st dibs if you pass on this trailer. I just brought home a lovebug ( a boler clone ) in far worse shape than that trill and paid 800 for it
Ok- will let you know what happens - going up next weekend so will take a second look at it then
Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #54

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I paid $4k for a '19 scamp in better shape, and that was plenty. I'll probably have another $6k in it by the time it's all said and done.

If the cushions and upholstery are usable, floor is good, I wouldn't go over $2k myself.

I don't know how its equipped, but you can probably bet on it needing a new axle, tires, possibly windows, cushions, flooring, wiring, plumbing, etc. there's a fair chance any furnace/fridge/ac that's sat that long is wrecked.

I'm not saying don't do it, just beware what you're getting into. I wouldn't rely on a handy friend, they may not be a friend by the time the thing is fixed.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #55

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Under 1000 fantastic deal, under 2000 great deal, under 3000 good deal,it' looks like a 1300 and after a little clean up and zep it will look like new.if you pass on it send me a pm and I'll go get it
I'm going up to our cottage this weekend where it's located so plan on checking it out on Saturday - not sure if the owners will be around as it's in the garden of a cottage, which looks fairly run down. But will check and let you know. It's located just north of Huntsville Ontario - about 40 minutes past Huntsville
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #56

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I paid $4k for a '19 scamp in better shape, and that was plenty. I'll probably have another $6k in it by the time it's all said and done.

If the cushions and upholstery are usable, floor is good, I wouldn't go over $2k myself.

I don't know how its equipped, but you can probably bet on it needing a new axle, tires, possibly windows, cushions, flooring, wiring, plumbing, etc. there's a fair chance any furnace/fridge/ac that's sat that long is wrecked.

I'm not saying don't do it, just beware what you're getting into. I wouldn't rely on a handy friend, they may not be a friend by the time the thing is fixed.
Wow - that would be beyond my budget - going to check on it this Saturday though - not sure if the owners are even around as it's located a a fairly run down looking cottage - hopefully will be able to get a good look at it though and take it from there.. will let you know..
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #57

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A lot of the most expensive stuff critical for use can be examined from outside, axle down angle, frame and floor come to mind. And of course shell. Some stuff like fridge and other appliances can't. And looking for leak damage is more effective from inside.

Probably worth the trip just to determine if major structural stuff looks OK to determine if it is worth pursuing further.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #58

Alberta
Registry
The windows are most likely fixable.
The fridge is cheaply replaceable, but that bottom vent is going to be difficult to find.
The furnace never existed, so no problems there.
I am willing to bet the cushions need to be recovered.
If the Ensolite is separating, it can be fixed.
The front window rock guard is difficult to find, but there are alternatives.

I would offer no more then $500. Renovations could add up to $2000 to $4000. That is if you do all the renovations your self. Getting a shop to do it would not be worth it.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #59

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The fridge is cheaply replaceable, but that bottom vent is going to be difficult to find.

Really? whats your definition of "cheaply replaceable" ?

If its a simple ice box then yes that can be pretty inexpensive to resolve but if its a 2 way or 3 way fridge one would be best to budget about $500 to $600 to replace if the buyer does not wish to go with an all electric fridge.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #60

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Really? whats your definition of "cheaply replaceable" ?

If its a simple ice box then yes that can be pretty inexpensive to resolve but if its a 2 way or 3 way fridge one would be best to budget about $500 to $600 to replace if the buyer does not wish to go with an all electric fridge.
I have obtained two RM211 fridges for free. I think of that as cheap.

This trailer probably had an RM24 to start with, but an RM211 can be made to fit, or there are also RM24's around, but I like the RM211 more. I have seen several RM211's go for $100, or less. I have two spare RM211's, (for my 1300's) and two RM36E's, (for my 4500's). I have not paid more then $100 for any of them.

In a quick scan of kijiji in Ontario.
Here is an RM24 for $100:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-parts...ationFlag=true

Here is a 12 VDC only model for $75. Looks like the right size:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-parts...ationFlag=true