What to offer?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

Name: Ciaran
Trailer: Currently shopping
Ontario
What to offer??

I want to make on offer on this trailer I spotted a few months ago. Stupidly, at the time, I never peeked inside (as at the time I'd no inclination to make such a purchase - however, now I do!). All I know is, it's a Trillium - don't know age or anything. If it were in good condition (interior), what would be a fair offer to make? If in bad condition, what would be a fair offer to make?! Would really appreciate any advice as I'm planning on revisiting next month. Thanks, Ciaran
Attached Thumbnails
trillium2.jpg  

Old 04-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Go to Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and take a look at the photos of all the current Trilliums for sale and also look at the sold listings to get an idea as what to offer.

A great deal of course depends on its age, condition inside (everything working) - note a none working fridge could be a costly item, frame and axle in good condition or do they need replacing? I do not see a propane tank or battery up on the tongue.... which may or may not mean something. You may want to take a full propane tank and a changed battery with you when you go to check it out in order to check out what works and what does not.

Also take a look in the Documents Centre - the link is on the home page and print off the buyers check list when you go to look at it.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
This one looks like it's been sitting for a long time and it will probably cost a bit just to move it. I'm thinking a flatbed trailer or perhaps at least tires and bearings if you choose to tow it. Then you're going to have to drop some serious cash to bring it back to a useable state.

As Carol suggests, take a look at what a similar Trillium would sell for if it was in excellent condition (which this one isn't), but then start deducting for parts and labor to restore it to something that you'd be willing to sleep in.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Under 1000 fantastic deal, under 2000 great deal, under 3000 good deal,it' looks like a 1300 and after a little clean up and zep it will look like new.if you pass on it send me a pm and I'll go get it
Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The exterior may not reflect the inside at all. It could either be a whole lot better or a whole lot worse. Without knowing if it's been sitting and leaking for years, I would hazard a guess at what you should offer. That gets down to you... what is it worth to YOU to own it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #6

Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Registry
If you do end up buying this little trailer, be sure to come back and let us know. Sitting there, it looks like it will require some major TLC to bring it back to life. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
And now for the minority opinion:

Unless your are a skilled mechanic, body repair person, electrician, interior decorator and/or have money falling out of your pockets, this might not be a good choice as a first FGRV.

Often newbies see a trailer like this and jump into it without a clue about the complexity and costs of rebuilding, put a ton of time and money into it, and then find out after their first weekend out that they can't stand the FGRV life style.

Unless this is a rare example, where it's as pristine as can be inside and needs little more than an outside clean-up and minor mechanical repairs, I'd look for something a little more ready-to-go for a first FGRV.

BTW: That patch looking thing at the bottom may be covering significant fiberglass damage.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #8

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
If it was me. $500.00
Old 04-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
I might even be tempted to 'offer' to tow it away free. ;}
Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Does the seller have clear title to this ?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Mine wasn't that bad looking but these trailers are magnets for mold on the exterior. It cleans up with a bit of javex and water and some elbow grease. Then wax it up. Go low with the price , like the $500 suggested and if the interior is bad , then either its a project for you or clean it up a bit and sell it for 4x what you got it for
Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Ciaran

There are a number of things to consider with a project like this.....

A. cost of purchasing trailer

B. cost of repairing and fixing it up the way you want it. (beware of things you can't see or realize) and or unexpected costs.

C. time and effort it will take to accomplish this

D. value of the end project when the work and effort is completed.

Weigh this against the cost of buying one that is in good shape, road ready, and ready to camp.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
I don't think you'll have to worry about finding anything 'good' on the inside. Considering the front rock guard is gone, plywood over the frig vent and missing caps over the ports, whatever is stuffed in one of them, the front window also looks like it has wood over the escape hatch and one of the panes missing.......

This will be a complete make-over. But if you have the skills.........
Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I think that almost every one is suggesting that it might not be a good fit for an FGRV Newbie.

But often I have found that owners of rigs left setting like this think that they have an antique goldmine, and are letting it grow in value as it ages. Don't be surprised if the sellers start price is over $5000 because he/she will say "I saw one just like it on Kijji last month for $10,000 and it wasn't near as old, rare, classic, antique, collectable and as much desired as this trailer."