What to See Between El Paso and Big Bend NP? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What to See Between El Paso and Big Bend NP?

OK, so it is not a camping request, as I'll be driving a rental car from El Paso to Big Bend National Park, but I know that the well traveled here will have some suggestions as to what I should see on the way there and back. Observatory? Marfa?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
A whole lot of West Texas! Check out Balmorhea SP. millions of gallons of water coming out of a spring in mostly arid country. Fort Davis, and Alpine are interesting stops. Marfa if there's something going on in the art community otherwise kinda sleepy.
Plan a lot of time since everything is pretty far away from everything.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
It's been awhile since we were down in that area, but I second Brian in recommending all of the above. I seem to remember Alpine as being particularly charming. When you go through El Paso try to stop at the big rest stop/visitor centes there and pick up some information. One thing we found was that the Texas rest stops/visitor centers are well staffed and have tons of information for the traveler. Big Bend is fabulous! Have fun!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Well, if you're there in the evening there's always the Marfa lights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There seems to be some debate about whether it's UFO's or ghosts. Hopefully you can sort it out for us.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I've not been, but you might want to check out Chinati Hot Springs, near Presidio.

Also, the drive from Presidio to Study Butte (west side of Big Bend park) follows the Rio Grande and is nice. It goes through Big Bend State Park...

Of course, if you go through Alpine, you can visit my sister.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Be sure to see the wave of immigrants heading north.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I plan to make the drive in one day, but I'll have some time to stop off at interesting diversions.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Ft Davis, Davis Mtns SP and nearby McDonald Observatory, Guadalupe National Park is not far from Ft Davis as is McDonald. Lots of miles and small mountains to traverse. I envy you. Came through there last year and hope to go back over again this year. Too bad the Terlingua Chili festival isn't on now.
Attached Thumbnails
ScreenShot002.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Very nice rest area by Sierra Blanca (I believe it is)....shelters are (were anyway) in the shape of Teepees. On Westbound side, maybe Eastbound as well. Sierra Blanca a small rocky mountain, only one for miles around.

Another rest stop before getting into Van Horn, seems it is near the Time Change Sign (Mountain/Central Time Zones), also near Border Patrol Stop....after perhaps. But on the Westbound side. It has a Vista Over Look, I believe.

Just before getting to Alpine, Westbound side, a nice rest stop in a "canyon-like" area. Nice trees, small mountain/hill rocky area as I remember.

Between Alpine & West Entrance, many vistas, nice drive. Get gas in Alpine before going on.....should be less expensive.

Between Van Horn & Alpine you will find Marfa famous for being the area where the movie "Giant" was filmed and for the Marfa Lights. Not that I have seen the Marfa lights, never traveled in the night time along there for one reason. But remember seeing a lot of Pronghorns along the way.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Very nice rest area by Sierra Blanca (I believe it is)....shelters are (were anyway) in the shape of Teepees. On Westbound side, maybe Eastbound as well. Sierra Blanca a small rocky mountain, only one for miles around.

Another rest stop before getting into Van Horn, seems it is near the Time Change Sign (Mountain/Central Time Zones), also near Border Patrol Stop....after perhaps. But on the Westbound side. It has a Vista Over Look, I believe.

Just before getting to Alpine, Westbound side, a nice rest stop in a "canyon-like" area. Nice trees, small mountain/hill rocky area as I remember.

Between Alpine & West Entrance, many vistas, nice drive. Get gas in Alpine before going on.....should be less expensive.

Between Van Horn & Alpine you will find Marfa famous for being the area where the movie "Giant" was filmed and for the Marfa Lights. Not that I have seen the Marfa lights, never traveled in the night time along there for one reason. But remember seeing a lot of Pronghorns along the way.
Thanks! Great suggestions.