What trailer sleeps the most? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #1

Name: Kirk
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
South Dakota
Question What trailer sleeps the most?

I am wondering what molded fiberglass trailer has the most sleeping accommodations to accommodate a growing family (5 currently), due to which we drive a minivan with 3500# towing limit (closer to 3000# with passengers). If absolutely necessary, we could upgrade to a minivan with 5000# towing limit.

• We tried a 16' Scamp, layout 4. This was ok for us, but with 4 in the family. It probably needed a WDH. The minivan front wheels would spin on gravel/wet pavement.
  • We tried the Livin Lite Quicksilver 14XLP. It towed great and has the sleeping room, but the setup/teardown can be inconvenient if we are stopping every night, and/or in inclement weather.
  • We looked at TrailManor, but I am worried about leaks and longevity. Also, although it has hard sides, it seems a similar hassle to setup/teardown. People indicate they weigh much more than the official weight, which would be a problem for minivan pulling.
Some options we considered:
  • Scamp 16' with layout 7, but this gets only 1 additional bed. It would be nice if we could add a bunk/cot above there afterward.
  • Something like Lil Hauley or other empty shell with Disc-o-bed or similar bunk beds, that can convert to bench seating during the day.
  • Casita 17' Independence standard, if the twin beds could also have back cushions that flip up to make bunks (giving 6 bunks). Or some sort of after purchase cot/bunk arrangement.
  • Escape 19' with cot option, and if they could put 1-2 cots also above the large sleeping area in the rear. But weight will be too much with current minivan.
We do not need fancy fit and finish: Disc-o-bed bunk cots and a basic kitchen island and a cassette toilet would be fine. What I am wondering is if there are any molded fiberglass trailers (current or past models) that would fit our needs, or could be easily modified to do so. Thank you!
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita 16’ Spirit standard with side bunk option has six berths: front and side bunks plus rear dinette bed. You can get the same thing in the 17’ length, but it will certainly be too much for your minivan. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that configuration used in either length, so you’d probably have to order new.

You will likely have the same FWD traction issues as the Scamp. I experience it occasionally towing our 13’ Scamp behind our FWD Pilot with four on board. FWD is a compromise that comes with some limitations.

Your trailer and tongue weight ratings are based on only two people. They decrease as you add more people. The limiting factor is the rear axle weight rating. You may have already exceeded it with the 16’ Scamp hitch weight and 5 on board. As the kids grow, eventually you certainly will. Something to start planning for...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, FWD is not a good layout for towing.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #4

South Dakota
Per the manual, our current towing limit is 3050# with 5 passengers (150# ea + 15# cargo). With 6 it is 2900# but then it drops off after that (hits GAWR and/or GCVW, I imagine). We hope to get more use out of this van before moving up to something like a Mercedes Metris, which has has higher towing capacity and is rear-wheel drive. But maybe sooner would be better than later, if it helps with towing.

That is interesting that the Casita Standard can come with two sets of bunk beds. I thought I had pored through the websites of all the manufacturers, but I didn't catch that. Thank you! Are there any other makes/models of molded fiberglass that have similar "hidden" layouts with two sets of bunk beds?

Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
That is interesting that the Casita Standard can come with two sets of bunk beds. I thought I had pored through the websites of all the manufacturers, but I didn't catch that. Thank you! Are there any other makes/models of molded fiberglass that have similar "hidden" layouts with two sets of bunk beds?
Nope. It's the only.

This is what I'm seeing on the Casita website. The 1st column is the 16' standard and the 3rd column is the 17' standard. The "Front Couch/Bunk Beds" are standard and replace the front wet bath; the optional "Couch/Bunk Beds" replace the side dinette.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita Bunks.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	130973

Didn't think about the Metris. Nice choice! It might even handle the 17' length, which gives you a more usable dinette/bed (54" vs. 45"), along with a number of other design improvements, like a flat door with screen and a rear window that opens for more ventilation. Hmmm...

Cost-wise the Metris puts you in the same territory as a Ford Transit, which gives you more drivetrain options and payload/towing capacity, though you sacrifice drivability in everyday use. It would certainly handle a Casita 17 with margin to spare.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

Mid Left Coast
yeah, I thought the max in a casita non-deluxe was the main bed, the double bunk in front, and the dinette turned into another single bed, which is 6' long but only 24" wide.

in a 16 or 17 foot casita, if you get stuck inside on a rainy day, there's nowhere for 5 to sit, short of the beds.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Friends of ours have an older 19 ft Scamp 5th wheel.
It has a sign by the door that says: "SLEEPS 8 ………. 2 AT A TIME"

A side room tent for the kids works. they need to learn how to rough it.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Pop-up tent trailer. They are VERY roomy and everyone will have an enjoyable trip. Save the egg for empty nest time.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #9

South Dakota
Wow, those Casita options would be clearer if they said "Side Couch/Bunk Beds"! I imagine the kids will want to go out in a tent at some point (maybe 8-10yo), but we aren't there yet.

We really, really wanted the popup trailer to work. It tows wonderfully. It has a lot of room. When we camp, we stay for 2-3 days; so once it's set up, it's great... assuming no hailstorms!

But we also used the Scamp to travel, and would pop in to make/eat a meal, let the kids play, take a quick nap, use the facilities, etc. It made travel more leisurely, and we could take in more of the things along the way. That sort of thing is totally out of the question with the popup, and we miss it.

So it's a bit of a trade off between room while set up vs. actually using the camper more often. Thus the inquiry...
Old 08-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
What about a hybrid trailer? That would give you the main body of the trailer to do as you mentionned---have lunch, use the facilities, nap etc.

The fold-out beds at either end could be deployed for sleeping upon arrival, giving lots of room.

Our son has one and with 2 kids and a huge dog, they find it perfect.

Something to consider.....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The trailer that sleeps the most... is the trailer that travels the least. (So it sleeps in the driveway all the time.)

If you can use a light duty weight distribution hitch, it will put more weight back on the front axle and cut the wheel spin. Other than that, I see a more capable tow vehicle in your future.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

South Dakota
The hybrid trailers sound interesting. It would solve some of the challenges. Are there any lightweight ones? K-Z Escape and Jay Feather seem to be 2700-2900# dry in their lightest configuration, which will be really pushing the towing limit with water, propane, etc.

A combination of the older Northern Lite trailers, with the tip out bunk, plus the cot over the rear bed in the Lite House trailers, seems perfect. But nobody makes this.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
What trailer sleeps the most?

Living Lite did make some layouts with optional tip-out beds in their Camplite line of all-aluminum travel trailers and small toy haulers. The smaller ones might be doable with your minivan. Personally, I feel like Thor ruined that brand, and finding a pre-Thor unit with tip-out beds could be a challenge.

For me, I’d rather deal with the challenges of a small space. We’ve had all four of us inside our Scamp on a bad weather day more than once. Thanks to the convertible beds, there’s plenty of room. Kids’ll eventually get bored no matter how big the trailer. Jump in the car and visit a nearby town, or... horrors!... put on raincoats and take a walk in the rain. It’s camping!

Smooth, leak-free, solid fiberglass walls all around on a wet and windy night... priceless!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
The hybrid trailers sound interesting. It would solve some of the challenges. Are there any lightweight ones? K-Z Escape and Jay Feather seem to be 2700-2900# dry in their lightest configuration, which will be really pushing the towing limit with water, propane, etc.

A combination of the older Northern Lite trailers, with the tip out bunk, plus the cot over the rear bed in the Lite House trailers, seems perfect. But nobody makes this.
You won't find any appreciably lighter conventional travel trailers. I suppose one could build a trailer out of foam and cover it with muslin cloth and paint it... that would be lighter. .

Maybe look at a cargo trailer. Build some bunks and shelves in it.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #15

South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Living Lite did make some layouts with optional tip-out beds in their Camplite line of all-aluminum travel trailers and small toy haulers. The smaller ones might be doable with your minivan. Personally, I feel like Thor ruined that brand, and finding a pre-Thor unit with tip-out beds could be a challenge.
Thank you! After browsing the old spec sheets with archive.org, I was able to find that the Camplite 13BHB sleeps 4, 5 with an optional fold down bunk, or 7 with both the fold down bunk and a tip out bunk. Now I just have to decide if I want to drive halfway across the country to get it.

Quote:
For me, I’d rather deal with the challenges of a small space. We’ve had all four of us inside our Scamp on a bad weather day more than once. Thanks to the convertible beds, there’s plenty of room. Kids’ll eventually get bored no matter how big the trailer. Jump in the car and visit a nearby town, or... horrors!... put on raincoats and take a walk in the rain. It’s camping!
Yes, I agree. I'm mainly interested in having enough room to sleep without somebody sleeping in the aisle, etc. Willing to consider hammocks, cots, etc., but there tend not to be a good way to support them in the molded fiberglass trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Maybe look at a cargo trailer. Build some bunks and shelves in it.
Yes, a cargo trailer (like Lil Hauley, or a partially finished Lil Snoozy) would be a great option. Again, I'd have to find one... A lot of them, understandably, seem designed to be pulled by trucks.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
So you found one. I had my eye on the Camplite 13BHB at one point. It’s a good family layout in a small size, and unlike the Casita “bunkhouse” you get a wet bath. It was out of our budget range, though, and that’s how we ended up with the Scamp.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #17

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
I had my eye on the Camplite 13BHB at one point. It’s a good family layout in a small size, and unlike the Casita “bunkhouse” you get a wet bath. It was out of our budget range, though, and that’s how we ended up with the Scamp.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!
I can't find any 13' model on their website, but even their 11 foot has a GWR of 3500 lbs, and the 14 is 4400 lbs, way out of your weight budget.

also note, their 11 is actually a '16' in fiberglass terms (we measure hitch to bumper, while the stick trailers measure just the box size), and their 14 is 19' long overall.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
John, I think the pre-Thor units were lighter, but it’s been a long time since I researched them. Models and specifications have likely changed since then as a result of the acquisition.

You could still be right about the weight, though, and that’s why I said the smaller units might work. The OP seems conversant with the owner’s manual and weight ratings, and he's looking at the older spec sheets for the 13BHB, so I feel confident he’ll make a sensible decision.

If an 11’ box is 16’ overall, they’re unusually long in the tongue and bumper. A 16’ Scamp has a 13’ box.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #19

Mid Left Coast
per https://www.livinlite.com/products/c...fications.html the '11' is actually an 11'7" box and is 15'7" overall.

so I was rounding some.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #20

Oklahoma
I was rounding some, too, but then I lost a few pounds...