What Would You Buy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Kent, that's the exact same vehicle we have; a 97 legacy wagon. Great car for most things. (My husband OTOH wonders how I managed to buy a car in the one year they weren't available turbo-charged!) I forgot about the space under the table. We're going to look at the Mity-lite in Surrey tonight so I'll take a measure. We have a lean Rhodesian Ridgeback and he folds up surprisingly small.
A lean ridgeback of normal size would be too tall to be comfortable under the table. It would have to slither in and out and not be able to raise his head. I know because we have one. A travel crate of less than 26 inches in height would be considered cruel. Remember that your table is lowered when it is used as your bed. A 120 lb ridgeback would be far too large for that space no matter how small he is when "folded"

Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #16

Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
A lean ridgeback of normal size would be too tall to be comfortable under the table. It would have to slither in and out and not be able to raise his head. I know because we have one. A travel crate of less than 26 inches in height would be considered cruel. Remember that your table is lowered when it is used as your bed. A 120 lb ridgeback would be far too large for that space no matter how small he is when "folded"
Carol Ann, you are absolutely right. We looked at a Mity-lite last night and I quickly realized it wouldn't work. we shall have to go to a traditional egg and he can have the front bed. He would love that anyway. Our last trip we joked about how he couldn't wait to get back to his love-seat at home; even though he had a very comfortable, warm bed and even jammies!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
We just sold our little lees-ure-lite tent trailer and want to get into a little fibreglass trailer. We're thinking a 13'. It's just me and my husband and dog. We don't want a bathroom, or maybe even a kitchen (although the idea of a fridge is growing on me, no more ice!) We do need to try and keep the weight down, as our tow-viehicle is an under-powered Subaru Legacy. My husband is 6' tall, so we're trying to figure out wich would have the biggest bed (our tent-trailer was a queen size).

My question is: if you wanted a light, roomy 13' trailer, what would you buy? Boler? Trillium? Scamp? Anything else?

Thanks,
Linda.
As far as towability is concerned, the Scamp is a great choice. The Escape is like the Trillium {exactly like} , which is a very well made trailer , but you have a tow vehicle with a small frontal area and the Escape is square and presents a large frontal area with very poor aerodynamics.
The Scamp and it's ilk are far more Tow friendly, especially when attached to a smaller TV.
The Escape is also several thousand dollars more than the Scamp[if buying new].
Judging from our experience, any small fiberglass trailer could last a lifetime with reasonable care.
So buy the one that you like the most and you will take the best care of it!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
we shall have to go to a traditional egg and he can have the front bed.
Note that if you remove the couch back (the bit that flips up to make the upper bunk), you'll get an even roomier spot for your dog. This is especially true in the Boler/clones because the front of the trailer bulges out (due to the roundness) and the couch back cuts straight across that when it's installed, making you "lose" that space.

It's just a matter of three screws to take the couch back off, and it's easily re-installed too.

In my Boler the couch is about 28" wide in the middle area with the back removed, for example. And the rounded shape is cozy for a curled up dog.

Of course you can get the same benefit by just flipping the couch back up into a bunk, and then you also have a place to toss bags and stuff. I bet your pup would like the slight "den-iness" of that too. OTOH, with the couch back removed, you gain a lot of visual roominess.

Raya
Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Linda,

My husband sleeps on the larger dinette and I sleep on the front bunk with the back removed in our 13 Scamp. So I thought about adding a dog and my first thought was the floor space along with the porta potty for the dog. But....then one would have to climb over the dog, and using the porta potty would be difficult.

So who gets to sleep together? Not my husband and me. One of us would have to share with a dog. Other couples don't seem to mind as much as we do. There is no way I want to climb over someone in the middle of the night.

BTW, our Scamp 13 weighs around 1500 lbs for traveling. We keep it as light as possible, do not carry water (no water tank), do not have air conditioner, fridge or furnace.Made for us for our purposes.

Since we bought ours Scamp has gotten taller, a plus for your husband. But that means it must also have added a few pounds.

We looked at the new Scamps and are really happy to have one a few years old that is short, we are short too. We travel long distances and that extra height just looked like less miles per gallon.

Happy hunting.

Nancy
Old 09-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Of course you can get the same benefit by just flipping the couch back up into a bunk, and then you also have a place to toss bags and stuff. I bet your pup would like the slight "den-iness" of that too.
Our female ridgeback comes in at just under 70 Lbs. and matches described breed standard. She prefers the bunk down for getting in and out. I can quite imagine Linda's male that is 50 Lbs more would find even more troublesome jumping up between the bunks. Amazing breed though. They can spread out and fill a full sized living room couch at one moment and roll up into a tiny ball at the end the next.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Our female ridgeback comes in at just under 70 Lbs. and matches described breed standard. She prefers the bunk down for getting in and out. I can quite imagine Linda's male that is 50 Lbs more would find even more troublesome jumping up between the bunks. Amazing breed though. They can spread out and fill a full sized living room couch at one moment and roll up into a tiny ball at the end the next.
As long as they are ON the couch right? Never on the floor for this breed, too cat-like.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #22

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Sounds like you'd want to just remove the couch back then (were you to end up with a Boler 13/clone). Six screws... bingo!...roomy dog bed with a rounded back wall
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #23

British Columbia
Thank you everyone for your input. We're renting a Boler weekend after next and hopefully a Trillium soon after so we'll figure out which style will fit our needs better.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Great idea! Have a great time and good luck figuring out what you want.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #25

British Columbia
Well we had our first Boler experience and really enjoyed it. What a cute little unit. Towed very well (my husband said he only noticed it on hills), and although the bed is a lot smaller than what we're used to, we both slept very well both nights. Even the dog. We tried the bench down the first night and he had the option of the bench or his dog bed on the floor; he preferred the floor. The next night I put the bunk up (that was better for storage anyway) and he spent all night on the lower bunk. He's so tall he can just step/crawl onto the lower bunk. If it was ours we'd make a few mods but really it was very good as is. Now we're looking forward to our Trillium trip next month.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
We just sold our little lees-ure-lite tent trailer and want to get into a little fibreglass trailer. We're thinking a 13'. It's just me and my husband and dog. We don't want a bathroom, or maybe even a kitchen (although the idea of a fridge is growing on me, no more ice!) We do need to try and keep the weight down, as our tow-viehicle is an under-powered Subaru Legacy. My husband is 6' tall, so we're trying to figure out wich would have the biggest bed (our tent-trailer was a queen size).

My question is: if you wanted a light, roomy 13' trailer, what would you buy? Boler? Trillium? Scamp? Anything else?

Thanks,
Linda.
We're not sure how we are going to react to a small fiberglass trailer. We have a tent trailer and when it is up it is very big inside compared to these smaller glass ones.
Of course we already know the drawbacks of our camper. But still I am a bit worried about the crowding. It's not like you can rent one and try it out
Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
We're not sure how we are going to react to a small fiberglass trailer. We have a tent trailer and when it is up it is very big inside compared to these smaller glass ones.
Of course we already know the drawbacks of our camper. But still I am a bit worried about the crowding. It's not like you can rent one and try it out
David, I haven't heard of any rentals in your area, but there are rentals out there. But wanted to ask your camping needs, as to suggest what kind of "glass" to look for. How many people will be sleeping in the glass with you? Any Pets? Why are you considering a fiberglass trailer? Honestly they may not fit your needs but thats not to say there isn't a couple of options (brands) that wouldn't give you that crowding feeling that your worried about. But even they may be tooooooooo small for your needs/wants. A little info, and maybe someone can give you some ideas on what to look for. Tent campers are amazing with the room they provide, and yes there are limits to that type of camping unit. But molded fiberglass are a different breed of camping unit. We went from a 35ft Class A to a Casita, but because of our special needs, fiberglass was the option that best fit our needs and still kept us enjoying the great outdoors. Yes their small and cozy, but that is the advantage for a lot of us. There are bigger more open "glass brands" that might offer you the openess you are wanting. Robin
Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #28

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape")
California
Registry
Quote:
David, I haven't heard of any rentals in your area, but there are rentals out there. But wanted to ask your camping needs, as to suggest what kind of "glass" to look for. How many people will be sleeping in the glass with you? Any Pets? Why are you considering a fiberglass trailer? Honestly they may not fit your needs but thats not to say there isn't a couple of options (brands) that wouldn't give you that crowding feeling that your worried about. But even they may be tooooooooo small for your needs/wants. A little info, and maybe someone can give you some ideas on what to look for. Tent campers are amazing with the room they provide, and yes there are limits to that type of camping unit. But molded fiberglass are a different breed of camping unit. We went from a 35ft Class A to a Casita, but because of our special needs, fiberglass was the option that best fit our needs and still kept us enjoying the great outdoors. Yes their small and cozy, but that is the advantage for a lot of us. There are bigger more open "glass brands" that might offer you the openess you are wanting. Robin
Escape was renting trailers. However, I do not know if that is happening any longer as they are getting busy. Perhaps they can put ou n touch with someone, if they no longer rent.
Good Luck.