What Would You Change? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr 1973
A question for the group from some newbie's:

IF you could change something about your fiberglass trailer(s) design/functionality or comfort level and money was not a problem what would change?
Yecats 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Change??? Well first, I'd change the color of the f'glass that ours was formed from to Snow White (as it is now) from the 'dated' Pea Soup Green it was born with, also since now I have sciatica, maybe a 6 in. wider bed, just so I wouldn't be waking the Trailer Goddess every time I struggle to turn over in bed.

Other than that, IF I wanted a different trailer, I'd just go buy one
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'd have a sliding window in front so as to have 4-way ventilation, and a roof fan/AC that was still low enough to allow me to park in the garage. (Or can I have a new garage, too?)

I would probably have a 3-way fridge.

I think I'd like an oven. The Campster didn't come with one and I'm more of a baker than a stove-top cooker.

I haven't used mine enough to have any other druthers yet. I already redid the bed the way I'd like it, but new cushions to fit the new setup would be nice...

I definitely like the idea of reaching the under-bench/bed storage from outside.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Shower in the lav, please.

Change "hamper" storage bins on couch/bed and table/bed so that is was just big enough to hold a glass of water up top, to improve legroom.

No square corners, sharp edges!

No particle board!

Sliding window rather than crank-out window on curb/firepit side: we walk there and could bump our heads, eh.

And then I would like a sparkly evening gown and some place to wear it.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
IF you could change something about your fiberglass trailer(s) design/functionality...
In my Compact Jr, the floor was only 3' wide, under the central area, and only 1/2" thick plywood. The area under the bunks, kitchen cabinets, and closet/ice box had the fiberglass walls curve under. I replaced the floor with 3/4" plywood, and extended it wider, cantilevered out over the fiberglass curve under. This created a floor in the corner closet/ice box area, where I created a "privacy room" (with an accordion door) for the porta-potty. I moved the replacement for the ice box to the kitchen cabinet under the sink, and just omitted a closet.

Name:   trailer10.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  25.5 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer01.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	10044
Attached Thumbnails
trailer02.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
No particle board!
Boy, now I can agree with that! Not only is the stuff ugly, it's heavier than most real-wood and furniture-grade plywood alternatives, too. I found that I could replace our particle board upper cabinets with larger ones made from 3/8" cherry plywood and poplar wood cabinets with aluminum mesh insets that weigh less than the original.

Attachment 8904

Over time I plan to replace all our particle board cabinets and doors with cherry plywood (which I got cheap at a factory-seconds shop because the finish on one side was scratched or marred in some way) and poplar/aluminum doors. The catch is that I don't think you can order a trailer that uses thinner, lighter plywood over heavy 3/4" particle board or 3/4" plywood; you have to do this mod yourself.

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Being in our first "season" I don't have the wealth of experience some of the other folks do, but the changes we wanted we built in the gut and redo. If there is something we encounter as we camp, we just build it out between trips. Initially, we couldn't find the right awning/canopy that fit our needs and the Scamp as well, but the First Up has been a fantastic solution and took care of that. Just got an awning mat from RV Awning Mat that looks like it is the perfect solution to go with the canopy room. Now we'll have to get on the road again and test it.
If I wanted more features like bigger beds or shower, I now know which one's have what and I'd sell this one and get that one. For the time being we are extremely content with the one we have and the features we've added make it very functional. We spent almost half of the summer on the road and with two kids that is a trial by fire.....
So long answer to short....wouldn't change a thing. (unless I can ever figure out that stove mod, eh Brian)
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd like the sink to be "under counter" style and also the stove and both to have covers. Reason, I'd really like a much bigger countertop when fixing sandwiches, etc. More electric plugins... especially one outside so I could plug in my tacky patio lights without the need of an extension cord. Electric tongue jack. Welded on scissors jacks on back. Outdoor patio light that can be turn on/off inside the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I'd like a thermostat on my furnace and a front dinette; right now the interior area forward of the door is under-utilized. Oh yeah, what Donna said about covers for counter space...
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #10

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
2 more feet (and an oven)

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
My Burro could use a real FULL SIZE bed.
A permanet toilet would be nice.
And outside accessable storage for under the bed.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
(some parts deleted here......)

Sliding window rather than crank-out window on curb/firepit side: we walk there and could bump our heads, eh.
And then I would like a sparkly evening gown and some place to wear it.
CharlynnT, I have taken ONE too many hits from the curb side crank open window on our Trillium, so I have taken a file/small grinder and gently rounded the outside corners on that window. IT doesn't stop me from bumping into it, it just reduces the amount of body damage to myself (and others). Also we have a small plastique foldable table which we now place under the window after we get camp set up. This usually means we HAVE to 'work around' the open window!!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Most of my 'complaints' can probably be fixed by a trip to Camping World - but here goes:

- Gauges!!!!
- A gauge to tell me how much fresh water I have (had this on the Westie and loved it)
- Propane gauge
- How much battery is left?

- Step for the door and an assist handle.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I wish at least one of the under-the-seat storage bins had front (inside) access, like the cabinets in the galley.

I wish my batt'ry was on a slide out tray.

And of course, I would love my Casita even more if it had the galley window, and 10 gauge wiring to the fridge so it would actually work on the DC setting.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
This is great!

Good idea to sand down the sharp edges on crank-out window, fab idea to have plastique table underneath. (If I can't have sparkly, I'll take plastique!)

Plus, I now appreciate my porch light that can be turned off/on inside and out, my step and handle assist, and my under-the-seat storage accessible from inside.

(You don't know what you've got til it's gone... pave paradise, put up a resort condo!) Oops, wrong thread
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #16

Registry
Hay Char.....
My porch lite twinkles, just for yew!!! Ask others who attend our meet this weekend, LOL!!!!!