What would you do? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
LOL! Nothing says go away like chambering a round with a pump action 12 gauge.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Darwin, my point was that you are at a far greater risk walking down the street of being killed than while boon docking. A man shot six members of a family camping back in 1982 in a Provincial park but that park is still a very popular place to camp and gratefully that horrifying event had not happen prior or since. I am just suggesting that if we were all to stop going to camp sites whether it be boon docking or at a state or provincial park, with no statistical grounds for such fears and simple on fear of the "what ifs" or due to something bad having happened to someone there once, I don't think many of our trailers would leave the driveway all to often.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We have had this happen to us while at home and in the camper.....both places I did almost the same thing(1) ask who is it ( 2) turned on outside light while I punched in 911 without pushing talk (3) ask who is it again,because now I can see the person (4) did Not unlock door untill I saw ID as to who it was.

At home it was a neighbor tilling us there was a house on fire 1 door down from us. Out camping it was the park owner & then local law enforcement telling us to get out because the river was about to Flash Flood.

Never open the door without following thse steps at night....no mater where I am.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Important Safety Tip For People That Like To Beat Me To My Favorite Campsite(s):

The fact is, everyplace that I like to camp is very, very, very dangerous.
I recommend that absolutely NO One should camp where I camp.
Ever.
Because, as I mentioned, it's much too dangerous for anyone to camp there.

Hope I've made myself clear....
Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Francesca if you want to be very sure to keep the users down at your fav spots, do a google to come up with some scary event that happened there or close to there once and post it .... cant promise you I might not call your bluff though!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Francesca if you want to be very sure to keep the users down at your fav spots, do a google to come up with some scary event that happened there or close to there once and post it .... cant promise you I might not call your bluff though!
Why, Carol-

I think you suspect my motives in posting the above warning when in reality I'm merely very, very, very concerned about the safety, peace of mind, and camping experience of my fellow campers...

Everyplace I camp is very very dangerous, believe you me. And that's true even BEFORE I get there, as evidenced by this real true picture showing evidence of the Kind of Creature That Lives There:

I'm only telling you all this for your own good............................
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #22

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
That happened to us about 41 yrs ago, before cell phones. We were in a farmers field camping by the lake and about 2 AM there was a knock on the door asking if my sister in law was in there. Needless to say being out in the boonies we were frightened. They said they were the local police and there was a family emergency at home (over 1000 miles away). No we did NOT open the door, told them we would check it out and waited for them to leave. We waited awhile before finally leaving the trailer to go donw the road a few miles to the pay phone. We were really frightened over that early morning knock. We thought it was someone out to get us and very afraid to open the door.
As we looked back we should have known that only my folks could have sent them to the location with a message like that (my parents knew exactly where we were). The cops had our names, etc, Still no way we were opening the door to anyone in the middle of the night, cop or not. We had no way of seeing outside without them seeing us.
I sure am glad for cell phones, but once again, they usually don't work out in the boonies.
And for those of you who wonder why I just don't go camping alone and enjoy my camper more ---------I am so very afraid that I will break down on the road, or have a very frightful meeting with some weirdo somewhere along the way. I dream of camping and yep, I am afraid to venture out on my own. You are right, the chances of something happening in my own safe zone is probably greater, but I am really frightened of the unknown.
By the way there was a family emergency that night, so we packed up and headed to Pennsylvania with my sister in law who's husband had passed away in his sleep.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Important Safety Tip For People That Like To Beat Me To My Favorite Campsite(s):

The fact is, everyplace that I like to camp is very, very, very dangerous.
I recommend that absolutely NO One should camp where I camp.
Ever.
Because, as I mentioned, it's much too dangerous for anyone to camp there.

Hope I've made myself clear....

The same way with where I camp. If it's not the bad guys, it's the bears, or cougars that'll get you. Maybe a stray wolf or coyote will get you. At night every little noise is something out to get you. A knock on the door is the worst is probably a bear too lazy to rip the door off or maybe it's "Big Foot" that thinks I might make a good dinner.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Now to answer the original question.. I first ask through the door what they wanted. I would assume that there's some sort of problem that needs my attention.
I also assume that if it was a bad he would be inside the trailer before I was awake, so a knock wouldn't be assumed to be a bad guy.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Many years ago while camping @ Algonquin Pk in Ontario we met a young lady (Knockout) camping in a tent on her own. We ask if she felt safe camping alone. She said look here-- she produced a pair on well used size 14 muddy work boots and said " I just put these out side my tent door each night". Ya that would work.

Ron
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
2500 nights camping and not one weird event. I believe one must be prepared but the probablities are low for negative events while camping or actually most anywhere.

Take Carol's number that 5000 pedestrians were killed by cars in 2010 inthe USA Assume 350,000,000 citizens walking 150 times a year. That amounts but 5000 out of 5,000,000,000 walking events in 2010. Maybe 1 in 1,000,000 chances of getting hit while walking.

By the way pedestrian deaths are highest for those 5-9 year old and lowest for those over 65.....

Life is generally safe though one should always be paying attention.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Many years ago while camping @ Algonquin Pk in Ontario we met a young lady (Knockout) camping in a tent on her own. We ask if she felt safe camping alone. She said look here-- she produced a pair on well used size 14 muddy work boots and said " I just put these out side my tent door each night". Ya that would work.

Ron
Are you saying the young lady was a knockout or that was the name where you were camping?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #28

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
maybe i'm just too trusting,,, but i assume just because 1 time out of the few billion nights of camping that are done something bad happens, that the odds are pretty much in favor thats its just someone asking for help,,,or offering help.

i would not answer the door with a loaded firearm.

i would not carry on in a grumpy uncivilised manor.

i would offer my help if i could, or thank the person for their concern if needed.

seriously,compared with all the nights people have camped, how many times has anything bad happened ? aside fromn that ignorent so and so that refuses to pick up after his dog. and as much as you want it too,,,a loaded handgun does not provide the answer to that problelm.