What would you do? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
the only night we have ever felt anxious about boondocking, we were awakened at 3 am....by the walmart parking sweeper!
Pretty sure a Wallmart parking lot does not constitute boondocking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #42

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have been reading this thread with some amazement. What would I do? I would assume that there was something that required my attention. I would probably ask who it was before I opened the door though.

I can't help but notice the differences in answers between Canadians, and most of our friends south of the border. Why the fear? I assume that it is experience based. As opposed to the fear that the media is always pumping out.

After my parents divorced, I lived with my mom, and two siblings in a large, low income housing project. All that concentrated poverty, and we frequently did not lock our door. In the five years that we lived there, the worst thing that happened was a pair of native folks, came in one night an passed out in our living room. We called the police, but when they tried to wake them up, it was clear that they had been drinking. I think they spent the night in the drunk tank.

I am sure that I am being a bit naive here, but I just don't live in fear of something out of Deliverance. (do I hear a banjo?)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #43

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have been reading this thread with some amazement. What would I do? I would assume that there was something that required my attention. I would probably ask who it was before I opened the door though.

I can't help but notice the differences in answers between Canadians, and most of our friends south of the border. Why the fear? I assume that it is experience based. As opposed to the fear that the media is always pumping out.

After my parents divorced, I lived with my mom, and two siblings in a large, low income housing project. All that concentrated poverty, and we frequently did not lock our door. In the five years that we lived there, the worst thing that happened was a pair of native folks, came in one night an passed out in our living room. We called the police, but when they tried to wake them up, it was clear that they had been drinking. I think they spent the night in the drunk tank.

I am sure that I am being a bit naive here, but I just don't live in fear of something out of Deliverance. (do I hear a banjo?)

David..
My opinion it news and NRA fear induced. The NRA (National Rifle Association) is mostly supported by gun and ammunition manufacturers. The more fear you can create the more you can sell. The threats are no more real than they have been for years, in fact violent crime has been on the decrease the past few years.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #44

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I have had many knocks at my door - the house mostly but also the camper a couple of times. I check to see who it is before opening the door. Never had a problem yet, and don't expect to in the future.

There are no intentional weapons in the house or camper - unless you count the ordinary items like kitchen knives and sewing scissors.

The campgrounds we have used have been very friendly places that felt safe enough - kids wander around unattended.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #45

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
The last time I was awakened by a lot of noise outside the camper was when a pack of coyotes came ripping the campground at 3:00 AM ! Woke me straight up out of bed, and had my poor dog laying there shaking like a leaf next to me. Man alive....THAT will get your attention....
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
(do I hear a banjo?)
Ya better start paddlin' harder.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #47

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
David..
My opinion it news and NRA fear induced. The NRA (National Rifle Association) is mostly supported by gun and ammunition manufacturers. The more fear you can create the more you can sell. The threats are no more real than they have been for years, in fact violent crime has been on the decrease the past few years.
Wrong. It is mostly supported by individuals. Individuals like me. Individuals that want every available option to preserve life - if it should ever come down to it.

Don't buy into the medias portrayal of the NRA and it's supporters. Yes, there are nut-jobs out there. There are violent people out there.
There are peace-keepers out there- I am one.
We greatly outnumber all the others and we are responsible.

I love life and my family and will do anything I can to protect both and bring glory to my God.
Anything less would be irresponsible.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #48

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Exclamation

Sorry folks,

This thread has been closed to avoid contention and hot-button topics. If you do wish to discuss topics like gun control and/or religion there are many other venues a mouse click away.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Matt