What would you do differently? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #21
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
All of this said, if I were 6'2" and 250#, I would likely be looking at an Escape, Bigfoot, or Oliver 19' ish trailer, for comfort's sake.......
Over 6" interior fiberglass trailers:

Escape
Bigfoot
Oliver
Egg
Trillium
Happier Camper
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Over 6" interior fiberglass trailers:

Escape
Bigfoot
Oliver
Egg
Trillium
Happier Camper
All brands of molded fiberglass trailers have over 6inch interiors.

I’ll add Lil Snoozy with a 6’4” interior height at the entry door, and slopes down toward the nose. It has a dedicated full-time inner spring home queen bed.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most Scamps (except pre-2006 13’ers) and all Casita 17’s have over 6’ (but not by much)

Parkliner 6’5”
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:35 AM   #24

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Casita

FIWI we picked the 17" Casita Independence Dlx as our first TT..It has two twin beds longitudinally in back 31"X83" so u can climb out w/o climbing over. Works for us so far, but we don't have dogs
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Well in a 16 to 17 foot trailer you would only be able to take two or three steps before you hit a wall, width wise none. You would be sitting or lying down most of the time. Scamp trailers are 6 ft. 3 inches. Most of the time you would be outside under awning or screen room or hiking touring and having fun. Good luck on your search. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Being over 6 foot narrows down the choices of fiberglass trailer's with accommodating interior height. Just look at the specification pages of each brand and it will tell you interior height.
But just like the manufacture's weight specs, take it with a grain of salt and skepticism. My Scamp roof is spec-ed at a little over six feet, and while it is in places, it is not in places also. Esp with the optional A/C. I'm six even and hit my head on the A/C all the time.

There is no substitute for getting in the camper and walking around, lying down, etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But just like the manufacture's weight specs, take it with a grain of salt and skepticism. My Scamp roof is spec-ed at a little over six feet, and while it is in places, it is not in places also. Esp with the optional A/C. I'm six even and hit my head on the A/C all the time.

There is no substitute for getting in the camper and walking around, lying down, etc.
Of course the ceiling height varies from place to place... Its an EGG!
Square eggs can hurt!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
After 50 years of trailering the most important feature of a trailer for me is the bed. A good day camping requires a good nights sleep the night before. The bed should be large enough and the mattress comfortable enough for you to do that. Many trailer mattresses are shorter that the standard sizes. They may also lack support. If you find the trailer you want you may have to change the mattress to get what you need.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #29

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Hi Laura,

Let me state out front that I have a BF 19 for sale, which may or may not meet your needs. But it is an awesome trailer that has served me very well for several years.

Having said that, definitely plan to go to the Oregon rally. When viewing & asking owners about their trailers, consider the type of camping you will be doing in these trailers. Will you be going away for a week at a time or much longer? Are you fair weather campers or do you anticipate finding yourself in rainy Northern Pacific conditions?

Here are things you should considered:

Tow Vehicle Capacity
We have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe, which is built on a Silverado truck frame. We have just bought a BF 21. Prior to that purchase our Chevy service manager confirmed that it will safely tow a BF21, fully loaded for camping. So my first advice is to visit your Chevy service department to confirm how much weight you can tow. They will be able to give you a computer printout.

Now, BF21s weigh more than the Escapes 19 or 21. My BF19 has a dry weight slightly under 2600 Lbs. The BF 17, weighs less. A BF21, built between 2000 & 2008, with A-C has a dry weight of 4200-4500 lbs. Trailer weight does affect gas milage and the size of any new TV you may consider purchasing. If your husband doesn’t mind bending over, Casitas & Scamps are very light.

So, food for thought.

Trailer Recommendation
I agree that you should be looking at a Bigfoot or Escape (I don’t know enough about Olivers). These are exceptionally well built trailers that keep their value.

Bed Size
Regarding the beds, an Escape 19 has a Queen-size bed. Bigfoot & Escape 21s have double beds. Bigfoot 19s & 17s couples a Gaucho couch/bed & a dinette that convert into smallish, double bed. If you want to share the dinette bed in a BF 17 or 19, you need to love cuddling. Otherwise, you can sleep on separate beds. I do suggest you research length of the dinette bed to determine if you husband can comfortably fit. If you really want to satisfy your husband’s desires, look to a BF25 (weight may be an issue) or a Artic Fox (a well built stick trailer.)

Ceiling Height
Regarding you husband’s height, you need to go online to see cabin height for BF 17 & Escape trailers. But both have high cabin ceilings. Pay attention to headroom under the rooftop Air Conditioner. In my BF 19, the ceiling height is 6’10” & 6’3” under the AC. A BF 21 should also provide enough headroom for your husband. I do believe that cabin height effectively eliminates Scamps & Casitas from your wish list. This is not to say that they aren’t excellent, highly sought after campers.

Storage
This brings us to inside & outside cabin storage, where the Bigfoot rules supreme. I have 2 “basement” storage areas which allows me to access camping & hitch equipment I do not want stored in the cabin. I also have great storage in the main cabin. I have toured Escapes and storage (and price) is what steered me to the BF21.

Price
You have not mentioned your budget. For your first trailer ever, consider previously owned. You are better off with a well built & maintained Fiberglass trailers than “stick” trailers. Accordingly, avoid a “project trailer”. Escape trailers are very expensive to get into. And if you think you will be replacing truck sooner than later, consider if you want to spend $30,000-plus on an Escape. Which leaves Bigfoots.

If you have the physical space to store it, seriously consider a previously owned BF21 or ... BF 19.

Please check out the ad for my trailer. It may very well meet your needs.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-89545.html

Best of luck.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The answer is Bigfoot. What was the question?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #31

Name: Danny
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
I found Stephan's comments quite thought provoking. I am a 71 Year old male who has been a tent camper for 40 years. However, as I grow older I am less tolerant of waking up at night to find a creepy crawly inside my sleeping bag with me. It would also be nice to have a place to cook out of the weather.

For this reason I have begun to consider purchasing an Egg. Although I live in North Carolina, I am an amateur astronomer and many of my spring to late fall travels are taking me out to dark sky sites with rutted roads with primitive or no facilities (boondocking). However, Stephen's comments indicate that most small RVs are not built for these kind of conditions. What do others think? Are there any small Eggs that might be suitable? Thanks! Danny L.
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I've taken my trailers over moderately bumpy dirt roads, I just go nice and slow, and try to steer the trailer to stay out of the ruts. on a trailer like a Casita or Scamp, the high lift option and 15" wheels would help considerably, but also likely woudl require an additional step at the door, and more blocks for cribbing the jack and stabilizers at your campsite, especially if it too is an uneven surface.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #33

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
..... many of my spring to late fall travels are taking me out to dark sky sites with rutted roads with primitive or no facilities (boondocking). However, Stephen's comments indicate that most small RVs are not built for these kind of conditions. What do others think? Are there any small Eggs that might be suitable? Thanks! Danny L.
Danny L., we have been going off-road to camp with our Jeep Club for the last 23 years, first with a 13’ Scamp Standard, second with a 13’ Scamp Deluxe, and now with a 17’ Lil Snoozy. I had added Flexi-Ride axles to our Deluxe Scamp and to the Lil Snoozy for ride height flexibility, as I like it to ride low for long pavement trips, and upped ride height for trail use. Like John stated, just take it slow.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
However, Stephen's comments indicate that most small RVs are not built for these kind of conditions. What do others think? Are there any small Eggs that might be suitable? Thanks! Danny L.

What's your tow vehicle? If it can travel the "road", your trailer ( if it has enough clearance ) will likely follow.
Stephen seems fixated on weak frames.
Take it easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #35

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I wish I had refused delivery on my Snoozy until the bathroom wall vent I had ordered was installed instead of letting Richard refund me the money. It would have made ventilation, especially on rainy days, much easier (can't open windows like a jalousy or my cats will get out and explore.
I wish I would've waited to buy those 2 strongback chairs until I found a way to try them on for size. They came very highly recommended for those with back pain. Both my spouse and myself can't comfortably sit in them- we look like preschoolers perched on an adult chair with our feet dangling. I don't like their size and weight- they are BIG and HEAVY! They no longer are carried in our Snoozy as I have bought small lightweight "director's" chairs.