What would you do differently? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Learning about trailers
Oregon
What would you do differently?

I’m new to having a travel trailer. The dream goes back many years! Lol I had a photo of a Scamp stuck to the wall of my cubicle in 2004. But, the reality of owning one is only a real option recently. So, jumping in fresh, I’d love to know what you wish you’d known before you bought your first fiberglass trailer.

A little about us... I’m a small gal in my early fifties. My sweetie is a big guy in his yearly 60’s. He’s thinking he wants to hold out for the king sized bed. I don’t think it’ll matter that much to me. We have two little dogs and no kids at home, anymore. And, we’ll tow with a 2002 Chevy Silverado. We’d like to keep to 16 -17 foot trailer.

Thank you in advance for your input. Random thoughts welcome!
LauraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How to ask this delicately... "big" as in tall, broad, both? If tall, how tall, because many molded trailers have limited headroom and short beds. Bed size is more important, as you've already identified.

On first impulse you seem like good candidates for one of the Hymer GT trailers that are being sold for a pretty good price due to the bankruptcy of the manufacturer. You can find more information on a couple of other recent threads. King-sized bed and a pop-up roof extension should make them very roomy, but not too large or heavy. Being a handy is a plus, since you'll have no manufacturer support, but even if not, most things on any trailer are pretty standard stuff.

In answer to your larger question, the only real surprise when I transitioned to a towable RV was a slower pace. You can't drive 75 or 80 mph on interstates (65 mph tops, less in some states), and everything takes just a bit longer: turning or changing lanes in traffic, finding a parking space, maneuvering in a gas station, getting underway after a stop... So allow more time and schedule fewer miles per day. We used to drive from eastern Arizona to the beach in San Diego in one long day. With the trailer we break it up into a day and a half.

Trailer-wise, no regrets. At times I think I’d like to have this or that feature, but it was the one we found that fit our limited budget and tow rating at the time. It’s simple and basic, cozy, but comfortable. Whenever I’m tempted to want a bigger trailer, I remember two things: (1) how my arms feel after washing and waxing our little 13’ Scamp, and (2) how much travel we could pay for with the money we’d spend on a different trailer.

Best wishes as your pursue your dream of trailer ownership!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

Arizona
Registry
Agree regarding the rally!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Oregon
Thank you for the advice! Jim is 6’2” and about 250. Standing is important. We are super lucky, we live in Bandon Oregon. So, there is a gathering scheduled in our town this month. We’ll learn more about which one’s he can stand up in.

I’ll look up the brand you mentioned. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree try to attend a rally
Somewhere on this site is a list of all of them
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Laura,

I highly recommend the Oregon rally at Bandon. It is a large gathering and most, or all, of the trailers will be open to see. You can check the floor plans, the headroom, the bed sizes, etc, and talk to the owners about how everything works and see the tow vehicles they are using. Fun and well worth it.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have no regrets.
I bought what I thought I would like as a cheap and old version.
Remodeled and towed it for a few trips and sold it.
I then bought something closer to what I thought I wanted, again a cheap and old version.
Remodeled and towed it for a couple seasons and sold it.

The small profit I made on these trailers helped me put some of the money toward what I was now certain was the ideal choice and just what I wanted..
I was right, it has now been 15years and that choice still echoes true over time.

Even if you get the right one for now,it may be not quite right later on.
Go ahead and jump in anyway. You can always sell and buy another trailer as you learn. With most fiberglass trailers your loss will be small or non-existent.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The older Scamps mostly have a narrow bed, something like 48" wide at the widest part but the curved corners eat about 4" out of that width at the head and foot. Many newer ones are 54" wide, less the corners. BTW, if the person near the rear (you?) wants to get out of bed, they have to crawl over the other person. Some are ok with all of this, some aren't.

Casita makes one that allows for lengthwise sleeping (heads near the rear wall) at the expense of kitchen space.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #9

Oregon
takes the pressure off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have no regrets.
I bought what I thought I would like as a cheap and old version.
Remodeled and towed it for a few trips and sold it.
I then bought something closer to what I thought I wanted, again a cheap and old version.
Remodeled and towed it for a couple seasons and sold it.

The small profit I made on these trailers helped me put some of the money toward what I was now certain was the ideal choice and just what I wanted..
I was right, it has now been 15years and that choice still echoes true over time.

Even if you get the right one for now,it may be not quite right later on.
Go ahead and jump in anyway. You can always sell and buy another trailer as you learn. With most fiberglass trailers your loss will be small or non-existent.

Very helpful. That takes the pressure off of trying for a one and done mentality. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #10

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
My thoughts on Bigfoot

Our first FG trailer was a Bigfoot 17.5’ that worked great until 3 grandkids wanted to join us camping. i bought it for $15,000cdn and sold it for $25,000cdn to the first caller who had been looking for this trailer for 2 years. I then bought a 21’ Bigfoot with that money and have enjoyed it immensely. If you don't have grandkids wanting to camp with you the Bigfoot 17.5’ towed by a Silverado would be my ideal. Also shop in BC Canada as your dollar goes 35% farther. A Canadian dollar will cost you .65 us. I will be selling my 2002 21’ Bigfoot sometime in the fall when our Motorhome is ready. i will be asking $25,000 usd for it. Buy quality and cry once.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
LauraP and Floyd: Yes, agreed. A number of us have been through several versions of the "perfect" camping rig for us...only to switch later. I know we sure have. Our Peanut Amerigo FG-16 (16' long from hitch to back bumper) is our final trailer. This one we're keeping but it took most of our lives to get to it.

At least we never borrowed huge amounts of money for a giant new rig only to find out we didn't love it and lost big money on not keeping it.

We started smaller and ended up with 16.' Plenty of room, two beds (both narrow but fine) plenty of storage, but we're not full timing and don't want to. We packed for 28 days last year and managed 24; plenty of storage room. Of course we shopped along the way for food...

We've arranged it with beach towel interior divider curtains so that we can have two "bedrooms," one back and one front side. The beds serve as couches during the day. Quite nice as our sleeping hours are different. I'm up at 5, Paul is often awake by . So I can quietly poke around, read, wiggle, go in and out, take the dog for a walk, while he's still snug in his nest.

The big Bandon gathering should be super for an exploration of so many types of trailers! We went a couple of years ago...literally tons of fiberglass trailers, old and new and in between.

BEST hunting to you!
And happy trails.

"K"
Old 07-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #12

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've had my 17 foot Bigfoot for 8 years now its a 1991 and have no regrets the only thing it didn't have was air conditioning that I added later.

At the time I focused on fiberglass only because of the long term value, I had looked at Escape and Scamp till I got inside the Bigfoot and was sure it was what I wanted the price was firm it works well for me.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #13

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation Doing the Job Right

Laura,

The best thing you can do right now is to make a list of all the applications and capabilities you want in a trailer and then purchase and equip accordingly, which will avoid the hassles, disappointments and expense of learning the hard way.

For example, did you know that the frames of nearly all small trailers are not strong enough for boondocking? They are only for rolling down a paved highway. More aggressive applications will require a stronger frame or damage to the entire structure will result. The axle quickly approaches overload as you add provisions which will require a stronger axle, bearings and brakes to take the load of more than a few hundred pounds. Small trailers are only 3 season at best. They become quite uncomfortable beyond normal temperatures whether heated or air-conditioned. Additional insulation is needed to approach 4-season capability. Without 4 season capability, you'll live in constant fear of weather changes, lose the use of your trailer for the winter months and be forced to take it out of service by "winterizing" it. That means winter sports and desert camping in comfort via trailer are not feasible. Small trailers nearly always lack enough water-carrying capability to be livable for more than a few days in remote locations and provide no provision for accessing it if power fails. Small trailer electrics offer no protection from shore power defects and lightning strikes which will have to be added if you want to avoid damage to your electrical system.

Sorting out these issues BEFOREHAND will go a long way toward providing the utility you hope for in your new trailer the first time.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #14

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I agree with a lot of what Stephen says in the post above, but let me add a few mods to them, if I may. We have a 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe, which can be set up with a king bed - but you will not concurrently be able to set up a table (we have it in the two single bed arrangement, with 6" extensions for extra width.
* Frame strength - We've been OK with short distances - a few miles - on Cascade and other gravel roads. We have had three broken rivets, which were fairly easy to fix - I think I know when that happened - we had to pull off a paved road quickly, and hit some potholes. Other than that, 17,000 trouble-free miles in a couple of years.
* Axle overload - Indeed there are limits and tradeoffs, but we are able to carry two bicycles on the back, and food enough for two weeks, and other items in/on the tow vehicle (inflatable kayaks, for example). You will be towing with a truck, so you should be able to carry things in the bed. We did use all of our 4Runner's rear axle capacity on our last long trip, but that's what it's rated for.
* Heating and AC - Our furnace has worked well in temps around 30-40 degrees, and we have had enough propane for a couple of weeks. The furnace fan burns a lot of juice, but a 100W portable solar panel has so far kept up. The AC requires that we be plugged in somewhere or run a generator; on the West Coast, we have not needed AC much. We have spent nights in desert RV parks where the temp was 100 in daytime; the AC kept up without a problem (this may not be the case in the SE).
If you ski and plan winter sports, Bigfoot makes a true 4-season fiberglass trailer. If not, given where you live, Casita, Scamp, or others without lots of insulation will work just fine. I'd be surprised if you had to winterize in Bandon, being so close to the coast.
We just spent several weeks traveling through Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and California, in periods of rain, snow, and thunderstorms, without a hitch, and almost entirely without being plugged in anywhere. I think it's easier to do this in the West, because the weather is not as extreme.

In any event, I also encourage you to visit the rally and ask lots of questions. You'll see a wide variety of trailers from 8'-10' up to 25' Bigfoots, set up according to each person's different needs.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
Laura,

The best thing you can do right now is to make a list of all the applications and capabilities you want in a trailer and then purchase and equip accordingly, which will avoid the hassles, disappointments and expense of learning the hard way.

For example, did you know that the frames of nearly all small trailers are not strong enough for boondocking? They are only for rolling down a paved highway. More aggressive applications will require a stronger frame or damage to the entire structure will result. The axle quickly approaches overload as you add provisions which will require a stronger axle, bearings and brakes to take the load of more than a few hundred pounds. Small trailers are only 3 season at best. They become quite uncomfortable beyond normal temperatures whether heated or air-conditioned. Additional insulation is needed to approach 4-season capability. Without 4 season capability, you'll live in constant fear of weather changes, lose the use of your trailer for the winter months and be forced to take it out of service by "winterizing" it. That means winter sports and desert camping in comfort via trailer are not feasible. Small trailers nearly always lack enough water-carrying capability to be livable for more than a few days in remote locations and provide no provision for accessing it if power fails. Small trailer electrics offer no protection from shore power defects and lightning strikes which will have to be added if you want to avoid damage to your electrical system.

Sorting out these issues BEFOREHAND will go a long way toward providing the utility you hope for in your new trailer the first time.
Laura, Bandon will be a great place to see a variety of trailers. I will be there and you are welcome to take a look at our trailer, but it won’t work for you. Some Casitas might though.

Stephen made small trailers sound scarier than they are! Boondocking does not mean off-roading in my opinion, it means not being hooked up to electric. Generally, that’s how we roll. We have camped in fields for events quite often. Just slow down and watch for potholes. We carry drinking water and usually an extra 5 gallon jug we rarely need. With LED lights, and keeping the water pump off when not running water, we can go five days easily (we have a 25 gallon water tank). If our battery was to go too low, we have little battery lanterns we can use and we could turn on our outside faucet to drain water into a container to wash or flush or whatever. I’ve never worried about being struck by lightening. The few times we’ve camped with electric in over 100 degrees, our AC has kept us comfortable. I’m not taking my trailer up to the snow in the winter so I don’t worry about that. Our nights can fall below freezing here quite often in the winter, but warm right up during the day. I hardly have a clue about winterizing and you probably won’t have to worry about it either. I’ve had my trailer 12 years with very few issues. It may be my forever trailer or I may get something different down the road. They hold their value and sell easily so don’t worry about being stuck with a trailer that doesn’t work for you. Good luck!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Being over 6 foot narrows down the choices of fiberglass trailer's with accommodating interior height. Just look at the specification pages of each brand and it will tell you interior height.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
My escape 21 has an 80" long bed (56" wide, I think), and a 6'2 tall person can easily stand in it (although you might need to duck just a bit at the air conditioner. I'm 6'0 and 223-230 lbs, and its way roomy. the bed is longitudnal rather than traverse, so either can get out of bed without climbing over the other.

I'm *very* happy with it, just got home from the 2nd trip in the same month

oh, a chevy 1500 would have no trouble hauling it... my 2014 is 4500 lbs GWR, and has around 500 lbs hitch weight unless I put heavy bicycles on a rack on the back bumper, then the hitch weight is around 400 lbs (a touch light, but its still very stable).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 I regularly boondock without leaving pavement. Many state and national parks have no hookups. Last trip was Colorado National Monument, Bryce Canyon NP, Cracker Barrel, Walmart, Flying J truckstop. All on pavement, all no hookups.

Just finished upgrading the electrical on my Trillium so it can camp without hookup.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #19

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I think East Coast weather is much harsher and unpredictable than in the West, generally speaking. And severe weather may not be as easy to escape out East. When we came back from Prescott, AZ a couple of weeks ago, the desert was very hot. We chose to stay up high (Kingman, 4000') to stay a bit cooler, and then drive the desert in daytime, staying in Tehachapi (also 4000') the following night. We could have stayed up higher in both spots, if we wanted to go out of our way a bit.
To me, there are four limiting factors for how long the two of us can boondock: Fresh water, electricity, propane, and tank capacity.
In our case, we have a 22 gallon tank and 7 gallon jug, to cover water. That's good for 5 days at least, with reasonable care (shower every other day). We can run on the battery for a minimum of 3 days with no charging, running the furnace - we did this in AZ in cold rain. Once the sun is back, solar charges things back up in one day, sometimes two. Propane lasts minimum a week, if the furnace were running continuously. The fridge will run on propane for a couple of months on a single 20# tank. Finally, tank capacity can be stretched - grey water can be drained off (using biodegradable soaps) and black water can be limited by taking a hike, if necessary.
All of this assumes absolutely no support systems (vault toilet, water, dump, electric) nearby.
All of this said, if I were 6'2" and 250#, I would likely be looking at an Escape, Bigfoot, or Oliver 19' ish trailer, for comfort's sake. I could probably get by with a 17' Casita - it works for us and our two dogs. Everyone's needs are different - the good thing is that you'll be able to see lots of trailers that you may consider owning. We personally think about a larger trailer from time to time, but always (so far) decide that what we have works best for us.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
What would you do differently?

Semantics... I tend to call it “boondocking” when you’re alone in a remote location far from paved roads and services and “dry camping” when you’re in a developed area but without power or water at site.

Whatever you call it, the two situations place somewhat different demands on a trailer.