What year did Scamp dimensions change? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Perris Pacer
We're hoping to buy a Scamp. Would like to think we can get away with a 13', but maybe not be able to depending upon the dimensions of the beds and the ceiling height.

I understand that the ceiling is now 6'3", but used to be 5' 10". Is that correct? If so what year did it change so we know when we buy what to look for. Hubby is 6'2" so the lower ceiling height won't work.

Also, we want something that has the dinette and the couch/bunks up front. Where can I find the dimensions of those (both bunks and the dinette) when made into beds and what the weight limits are, assuming there are some for the bunk at least.

We have 2 kids who would use the bunks, hubby and I the dinette converted and just want to make sure we would fit! I have asked a few people the dimensions when I have seen them on Craigslist for sale and they all say the same thing, "about a full sized bed" or "kid sized." But I need exact dimensions.

Can anyone help? Or direct me somewhere else to find this info?

Thanks so much!
charlene
CharleneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Charlene,

There is a thread on bed sizes that you could probably search out. I think it does actually have the phrase "bed sizes" in it. It gives bed dimensions for a number of different trailer brands.

For the quick answer, I think the "double" in the Scamp will be about 47" x 77" and the couch/bunks about 26" x 77". The corners round in a bit.

As far as I know the Scamp 16 will still have the same basic bed sizes, but will ad a dinette, or bathroom, or what have you.

I think the Deluxe Scamps sometimes have the larger double (more like 54" x 77"); sometimes they are custom too, I think. But the basic Scamps are pretty consistent in bed size (as the bed furniture is molded fiberglass and uses the same molds in both trailers).

The upper bunk is probably rated to about 80 lbs. That said, it could potentially be beefed up if you wanted to do that.

Happy hunting

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Charlene, the bed size is a much bigger deal than ceiling height. I'm 6'5" tall, and I do very little standing in a small trailer. The overhead height just isn't a problem, unless hubby is going to do dishes or do most of the cooking. I sleep in one tho... and if I don't sleep well, the whole trip is a bust. The small trailers are a tad tight for my liking... bed size wise. Probably the best bed size in a fiberglass trailer is in the Burro 17' wide body and the EggCamper.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Bed size is to the best of my understanding the same in them all (Scamp's, execpt the customs, may differ) in 16' & 13'. Ceiling change was after the factory fire in 2005. Therefore, anything newer - 2006 and on. I think the longest the bed would be is right at 6' 3", even in a custom. It would be a tight fit. With two in the bed, it is a tight fit. After almost a month sleeping in our 16' Scamp this summer, we tried sleeping, head to toe, it gave us more elbow room. But have to be careful not to kick one another. Ha! It worked ok for the next two nights, by then we were home.

I'd suggest finding a Scamp, either size and trying the bed out. Roger is right on the mark. Sleeping is more important. But what is comfortable for one person is not to another. How long you will be using it each camping trip, etc.

Now for unasked for advise. My son-in-law is also 6' 3", I am thinking if they were to get a small fiberglass camper trailer I would advise them to get a Little Joe. Or if a Lite House came on the market in good shape, I believe the Little Joes are being made from the Lite House molds. But a Little Joe would be the way for them to go. Not sure of the price on them. They seem to be a new company, not too many used ones, etc. For sleeping comfort, they appear to be the best way to go. All this said, I have never seen one in person, only at the web site.
http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/littlejoe.html

http://www.fivestarrv.com/weis-craft...ejoe/index.htm

http://www.fivestarrv.com/weis-craft/littl...erior-views.htm

Just read you post again, over looked the two kids. Not sure about where they would fit in a Little Joe.

My daughter has a new baby, may not be the best for them either.

As for the Scamp's having a full bed, no, not at all. Almost full, but just a little wider than a twin. Long but narrow, and rounded on one side.

Tent trailer maybe the best for my daughter and family. A hard call. Or one of the small non-molded fiberglass makes. One made with laminated & aliumium frame construction like a TAB or even a Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder T139.

I believe they are thinking Tent Trailer or an A-Liner.
Storage is a factor for them, not a place at their home due to codes.

Scamp's 13' is hard to beat. If the bed works, it works. Good Luck.

I see they have or had a used Little Joe in Medford, OR
http://www.affordabletruckandrv.com/used_trailers.html
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The change to the height occurred after the Scamp major fire... January 2006.

Here's a couple of topics that may interest you. Click the links:
Bed Sizes, there's a couple of good charts

Inside Height by Trailer Brand/Model and Year, What can you add to this topic?

and lastly (from me) Family Friendly Floor Plans

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #6

Thanks for all the quick responses. I think the bed length of a Scamp would be fine for us, but hadn't realized the dinette beds were so narrow. That would probably be a bigger problem for us!

Hmmmm, not sure where to go for a solution now. Our family wants something tiny that can just house us and very, very little stuff. Are we the only family of 4 out there that doesn't want to buy all the fancy extras? Seems we have to jump up to a much larger trailer than we want just to find beds for us. I'm thinking that buying a utility trailer and putting in beds might be the only viable option for us. :-(

Oh, also, what was the old ceiling height 5'10" or 6'1"...I've heard both. Does anyone have a 2005 or earlier who can conclusively answer that?

Thanks so much!

charlene
Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #7

Red face

Charlene, I consider doing that buying a utility trailer and putting in beds, but wanted small with shower & head. Yes, I would think a utility trailer with beds added might work, but may need to add a window or three. As before, good luck in your quest.

Oh, yes, the pre-fire 2005 sales booklet/brochure, we have from when we got our Scamp, listed the 13' as 6' 1".

13' Casitas have the 5'10" ceiling height. I am not sure how wide the beds are in them. Maybe wider than the Scamps.

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/showroom.html

I assume one can or could get one with bunkbeds in front like the Scamps.

Give the folks in Rice a call & ask. 800-442-9986
Casita has a referral program where you can go look at someone's trailer.

Have you checked what is listed for sale on this site:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...p?showforum=52

Such as: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=36949

On the Casita Club website under for sale: This Airstream Bambi Was Made in California in May of 1961. It is in good cond. Would be a great Airstream to restore. It has a very solid floor. It has all original equipment. I can send pictures. My # is 817 313 1783 if you are interested.
Asking Price $13,500.00 -- Condition Fair

Not saying what to do, just giving some options.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Charlene,

Where are you in No. Cal. I'm in Sonora and you are more than welcome to come see my 13 Scamp. I have made the large back dinette into a permanent bed. The front is modified by the couch back being removed but you can see the length and width.

A friend of mine had small children and they slept for years on the bunks in their 13 Scamp. Even as her son got much bigger, nearly High school age, he still slept on the top bunk. It's likely you two might not be comfortable on the rear bed but you'll never know 'til you try it out. If you are near come see mine. You'll also see the shorter interior height as my Scamp is a 2001.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Officially The Scamp thirteen had an interior height of 6'1" until after the fire in 2006.
At that point it was decided to make it the same as the 16 which is and always has been 6'3".
The trailer still measures 80" on the outside on both models, with a bed width of about 77".
The standard dinette bed is 44" wide with an option on the Custom of 54".
I have never yet met anyone who stood to their full height without effort.
Also, it is rare to find yourself doing laps or "ballroom dancing in a Scamp.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #10

Red face

I asked the folks at the Casita Club about the size of the 13' Casitas:
Someone answered:
I think 13 and 16s are the same, 48".........at the center.

Bunks, if equipped, aren't over the rear bed. Either over the side dinette (16/17) or front sofa of a 'standard' model on a 13/16/17. I think the bunks are 22-24" wide, with a weight limit. Kids only.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #11

I'm confused. What is 48" at the center, the width of the bed?

charlene

Quote:
I asked the folks at the Casita Club about the size of the 13' Casitas:
Someone answered:
I think 13 and 16s are the same, 48".........at the center.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Yes, Charlene, width at the center - the widest part. They narrow in the corners due to the curve.

Quote:
I'm confused. What is 48" at the center, the width of the bed?

charlene
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The bed in the Scamp/Boler is too small for my hubby and I to sleep comfortably in. Hubby is your husband's height and I am 5'6", neither of us are overweight. We can sleep in the back but there isn't much wiggle room and no room to bend knees. I now sleep in the back and he in the front. Our real solution was to buy a 5th wheel

If you want a 13fter a solution would be adults inside and kids in a tent or add a room. Our kids loved sleep away from the adults. If the weather gets really bad you all could move inside for a night or two.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Some taller folks have made modifications to sleep "lengthwise" in their 13-footers. Typically with some sort of sliding platform/legs that extend from the rear bed into the open area between kitchen and closet. Of course this makes for a bit less floor space to move around in, and porta potti access might be a consideration.

Like Lizbeth says, other options for a 13-er are to split up (if/when you don't have kids in the front bed(s)) or to give them their "own room" in a tent next to the camper.

Raya (whose 13 is suddenly seeming really large and luxurious for one 5'5" person)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #15

Red face

Here is another reply concerning Casitas from Casita Club:

**** and I picked up a 13' deluxe yesterday and tried it out last night. The bed is more cozy than the 17' but the same length. I am 6' 4" so I duck in everything so ducking doesn't bother me as I am use to it. Katy is a foot shorter so we kind of even out. We are wanting to leave the bed up so we are thinking of adding a flip up table on the sink side and a stool so one could sit on the bed and the other on the stool and still have access to the fridge. I think the most important part of sharing a Casita was summed up for us at Royal Gorge KOA when a lady walked by our camper and said, "You all must really like each other!"

We do...so life is good in the 17' or 13'.

Tags
scamp