whats on I-15 north of Vegas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
whats on I-15 north of Vegas?

besides dirt and aliens?

I am contemplating my travel northbound for the summer. Leaving Quartzsite mid/early April and going to the North Cascades.

I have done I-5, 99 and the 101 to death. The 395 is nice, but I have done it more than once as well.

I am familiar with the Northwest part of the run, just not south of Boise, Idaho. Will take the 84 from Salt Lake and up and over.

Any nasty grades? Anything interesting not in the travel books? Any good overnite spots? I have 2-3 weeks to kill.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Never been along it except from Spanish Fork, then to Portland Area, but St. George has some listed around it.
St George Area Campgrounds | Utah.com

Years ago, we made a run over to Cedar City after visiting Zion. Never camped in the area, however.
Cedar City Area Campgrounds | Utah.com

Salt Lake City Camping Advise
Antelope Island State Park sounds neat.
Antelope Island State Park | Utah.com
Antelope Island State Park | Utah State Parks
Also: http://www.utah.com/stateparks/utah_lake.htm

When we stayed in the Salt Lake City Area on our way to the Tahoe Area, many years ago, we stayed in the KOA with hookups which is in the city limits. Close to the major sites. Last year while passing through, we camped just south and east of Provo in a forest service campground named Cherry, East of Springville, UT.

Cherry Campground
Cherry Campground | Utah | Public Lands Information Center | Recreation Search
From I-15 take Springville exit 260. Continue east through intersection of Main Street and Highway 400 South. There is an awkward 4-way stop at the end of 400 South. Turn right at the stop sign onto Canyon Road. Keep heading east up Canyon Road for about 6 miles. After passing Hobble Creek Golf Course, the road will fork; stay to the right. Cherry Campground is approximately 1 mile from the golf course past the junction of Forest Service Roads 132 and 058. However, Season: May - October, Oooops.
Cherry Campground, Utah - US-Parks.com

Also in the same area:
Balsam Campground | Utah | Public Lands Information Center | Recreation Search

List of campgrounds:
US Forest Service Intermountain Region - Recreation - Camping & Picnicking - Day Use & Picnicking - Uinta NF

Massacre Rocks State Park North of Salt Lake Area in Idaho 28 miles from I-84 on I-86, exit 28.

A friend & I drove the I-84 to Portland in a Penske rental truck, maybe in 2001, it was a neat drive, lot of history along it. But didn't get to stop and smell any roses. We did get to see Bridal Veil Falls State Park which was located near milepost 28 on the Historic Columbia River Scenic Highway and is accessed off I-84 at Exit 28. http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_149.php
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/sear...columbia_gorge
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
We went that way a long time ago... 1998, on our way to Denver. Interesting mountain pass that crosses the Northwest corner of Arizona. Not much between Vegas and there. Nowhere to get off the interstate in Arizona, you just go thru to Utah where you could visit Zion National Park.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Gina - we'll probably talk about this a lot before you leave Q, but a couple of things come to mind. We love The Valley of Fire campgrounds within the Lake Mead Nat'l Monument area ... the geezer/ADA pass works and they have flushers and showers. It is just north of LV, east of I-15. The closest burg is Overton (good ice cream!) and there is an interesting museum showcasing the "Lost Cities" covered up when they built the da** dam- oops, sorry And between The VofF and Overton there is a bluff the locals call Poor Mans Bluff - lots of dry-camping with awesome views. You'll know it when you see all the RV's scattered around.

We've heard St. George, UT has some nice camping country but haven't visited yet. Lots of history here.

Cedar City is a nice little town - lots of history here too. Too bad you will travel early in the Spring - they have a terrific Shakespeare Festival all summer.

I don't remember any bad grades, but I've slept since then, so ... the hills I remember were doable, and that was with the Mazda before we got "Ovrkyll"

North of Salt Lake City, if you leave the interstate & go a ways West, you can visit the site of the "Golden Spike" that completed the nationwide rail system ... I think you can camp there too.

As you pass thru some of the small towns on the 15, you might check about parking at the curb in a city park. We had good luck in Delta, but that's not on the highway.

If you're not averse to 'pavement camping' there are some decent truck stops along the way as well.

More later, as my remember-er gets workin'. LdB
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I've read good things about Kolob Canyon.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I find the trip up State Highway 89 a lot more interesting than up I-15. It's not quite as fast, but it's a nice road, not a lot of traffic, and much more scenic. Catch I-15 again in Nephi if you're going to Salt Lake City. Zion Park is our favorite place for hiking and camping, Cedar Breaks National Monument is like a small Brice, except you look down at it from the rim, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park is absolutely beautiful - as is Brice National Park. The Kolob section of Zion park is very scenic and it's fun to hike to the end of one of the box canyons. The Big Rock Candy Mountain is interesting. Although I wouldn't want to take a large trailer there, the Timpanogos loop from Provo Canyon to American Fork and the Mount Nebo loop from Nephi to Payson are both breathtaking scenic byways. If you have an extra day, the hike to the top of Mount Timpanogos is about my favorite thing in the world to do, I've done it about ten times, and look forward to doing it again before I get too old for the 15 mile hike. Southern and central Utah are very beautiful if you get off Interstate 15, which mainly just runs up through the desert.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
whats on I-15 north of Vegas?
besides dirt and aliens?
Jimmy Hoffa?

Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Har!

All good info, thanks! I wil check out some side routes.

I will be raveling on a strict budget, but can get into National parks for free with my Golden Gimp card.

I have two dogs.. sometimes the Nat. Parks frown on them when Hiking.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The Geezers beat me to it, I was going to suggest Valley of Fire. Nice campgrounds and pretty area. I loved it there.

I've also heard good reports about Antelope Island SP just north of SLC beside the Great Salt Lake. It's on my list of places to stay when ever I go that direction.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Just north of Zion is Cedar Breaks Nat Mon which has some CGs in the surrounding Dixie NF. We will try those out next summer. Further up I-15 is Utah Lake SP in Provo, nice with W&E sites. On I-84 in Glenn's Ferry ID is Three Island Crossing SP, very nice W&E hookups. Further up I-84 in OR is Emigrant Springs SP, nice woodsy area. Full hookups.
US93 north from Vegas is miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. Great Basin NP is the sole oasis between Vegas and Twin Falls ID.
All have websites.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The most important thing on I15 is in Lehi. Cabela's.