Whats the craziest thing you done to your PC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger H+Nov 12 2005, 03:30 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-Morgan
Quote:
@Nov 12 2005, 01:39 PM
[b] This was a CP/M machine back a hundred years ago (in the last century, at least).
Ahhh... Morgan... CP/M... music to my ears... how I long for those days of 160k single-sided 5 1/4" floppies and 32k of RAM...

>
>
>
>
>
>
> run a: wordstar b:

Roger
Roger,

I had updated this machine with a 50 Mbyte hard drive; a big 14" monster I had to focus a fan on to keep it cool. I remember that drive cost me over $5,000 and I had to write the driver myself. How many gigabytes could I buy with that today?

I think it had 8" floppy drives, the 5¼" drives came later.

Ahh, the good old days. I think I prefer Windoze and Word to CP/M and WordStar.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #22

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1987
Quote:
This was a CP/M machine back a hundred years ago (in the last century, at least).
Oh, now this has become the "in my day" thread...

Ya know, in my day we had to program in assembly. In the snow. Uphill. Both Ways...

OK, my first system was a Sinclair Z80. Saved up my earnings for most of a summer, then had to convert it to British Pounds and wait 8 weeks for the thing to arrive. Had to solder and assemble it myself (barely could afford the kit, no way for the assembled and tested unit). Cost $300.00

2 years later you get a timex-sinclair (bassically the same unit) at K-Mart for about $89.00

I may miss a few systems here but let me see if I can list them all (just personal, not servers, etc... or I'd be here all night)

Sinclair Z80
TRS-80
IBM PC-jr
IBM PC-XT (with the 10 gig hard disk!)
386sx 16 clone
AMD 486 DX120 clone
Dual MD 486DX120 clone (rare, only know of one system board that could do this)
PIII Clone
Dual PIII Clone
Dual P4 XEON

Along the way I could not possibly list (or even remember) all the stupid things done, including some very expensive-system killing mistakes.

Ah, I just get misty thinking about it all.

- Michael
MKohlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #23

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Too funny Michael!!!

Ok guys... since you want to do the "I'm older than you" thing... I remember "time share" with the Iowa State mainframe on a dumb terminal at my high school ... I also did my fair share of programming with paper punch cards... and yes, it was a big joke to pull one out of somebody's stack... I was thrilled with the first 12 inch pre-"hard drive" "floppies" that were actually rigid plates that were inserted into a "drive rack" and rested on rubber cups top and bottom. Who knew... anyway...

I had a Sinclair ZX81 (pre-Timex)... with a 16k memory expansion module... in fact, I STILL have it!

Next came the Texas Instruments TI99/4a... then...

a Trash-80 Mod 4 with two 160k floppies and 64k RAM in two 32k switched banks... along with a Model 100 laptop... those two got me through college marvelously... had a Tandy "daisy wheel" printer that cost me a fortune 'cause the professors wouldn't accept papers done with a 9 pin dot matrix! That ol' Mod 4 would run either TRSDOS 6 OR CP/M...

Then, for the rest of the time... Gates-driven intel/AMD 8086 and derivative boxes... <sigh> no soul at all...

Rog
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Coleman College, here in San Diego, Has a Computer Museum. You guys will feel right at home.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #25

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1987
Quote:
Coleman College, here in San Diego, Has a Computer Museum. You guys will feel right at home.
The thing that really frightens me is that even though I don't consider myself to be that "old", most of my I.T. staff would have no clue what a Sinclair was (or that Clive Sinclair got a Knighthood for that little device), or recognize a DOS batch file if it bit them on the nose (anything earlier than that... hah)

A few months ago I had one of our network admins (good guy and a good admin) who just happened to be watching me move a mess of directories using XCOPY with about 6 command line switches to preserve some permissions and archive bits. NEVER had known that the command existed, or why I simply would not just "drag and drop" the files and directories in question.

Young whippersnappers think they know it all...

I've screwed things up in ways that these kids have yet to imagine.

- Michael
MKohlman is offline   Reply With Quote