What's the difference between 16' and 17' Casita's - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Steve
I agree with you about the Bigfoot, both positive and negative. But it got so Pilot\FlyingJ enjoyed it more than I did.
I enjoyed seeing your Oxygen at Quartsite. Very sexy looking and obviously aerodynamic. But I like my amenities and it would never do.
My Escape is the closest I've come to ideal, now that I've upgraded the awning, and I'll likely stand pat for the duration.

Walt
Old 06-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #22

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Steve
I agree with you about the Bigfoot, both positive and negative. But it got so Pilot\FlyingJ enjoyed it more than I did.
I enjoyed seeing your Oxygen at Quartsite. Very sexy looking and obviously aerodynamic. But I like my amenities and it would never do.
My Escape is the closest I've come to ideal, now that I've upgraded the awning, and I'll likely stand pat for the duration.

Walt
We are averaging over 15 mpg with Walt's old Bigfoot and having a blast....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
We are averaging over 15 mpg with Walt's old Bigfoot and having a blast....
That's great, Bigfoots are very well built. I got 13 mpg towing with my Colorado diesel. With my Oxygen I got 23 mpg.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Agreed, the Bigfoot tows great, unless there's a headwind. Then it is indeed a parachute. I have to say, with my small Tacoma (3.4L V6), it's really no problem to tow, so long as there's no headwind. But I guess I have nothing to compare it to. It's the only trailer I've had.

I can see how an egg-shape would tow better. The weight tends to be no problem for my truck; it's the air resistance that gives me trouble.

All the same, aside from occasional headwind problems, I enjoy towing my Bigfoot.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Steve,

I've posted on this before, and am somewhat conflicted.

For ease of towing and gracious living combined, I would basically like something like what they featured in the Jetsons cartoon where a small house or tent would pop out of a small handheld bundle.

The Casita was an easier tow, though probably even more weight than what I would personally prefer. Combined with a 440/4,400 lb rated Audi Q5 the stability and the relatively low wind resistance were excellent. We never used a WDH.

Now, with a 720/7,200 lb rated V-8 JGC, it's just "a bit less perfect" than the thoroughly excellent experience we had with the Casita/Audi combination. I have been dithering with the idea of trying a WDH to better stitch the trailer to the tow, but it would be an expensive experiment to try. Meanwhile, I am watching the loading and the tongue weight.

The ultimate answer is that the missus and I are very happy with the 21 in camp, and I manage just fine on the road. Highs for us include much more storage, the tongue box, the ability to walk by each other, the relatively large countertop area and the much larger refrigerator as we do quite a bit of cooking.

Admittedly, I do sneak looks at canvas pop-top trailers on occasion, but she's mainly tolerant of my roving eye as long as I'm reasonably discreet about it.
If the rig's handling feels a bit squirrelly or makes you nervous, a wd hitch with built in sway control should make it feel stable and steady. For the 21' an Andersen No-Sway would be good; the chains are lighter and easier to stow than bars. Or if you prefer bars, I like the Equal-i-zer brand. I have used both. An added benefit is they take out most of the jiggling-bouncing feel so your ride is smoother.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #26

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
17 ft. - 16 ft. =. 1 ft (12”).
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #27

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
The screen door in the 17 made a big difference to us
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What's the difference between 16' and 17' Casita's

The 17’ has numerous advantages: interior height, flat door with screen, more efficient roof air, flat floor throughout, larger bath, larger rear window that opens for ventilation, straight frame rails, wider bed, full wraparound upper cabinets, larger fridge, wide twin (Independence) layout option...

Drawback is weight, especially tongue weight at 400-450# loaded. That, combined with a taller profile, typically requires a somewhat larger tow vehicle and/or use of a weight distributing hitch.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #29

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I owned a Casita 16' for 15 years. Did the job very well, It fit crossways in 2 parking spaces, and could fit in a parking garage with 8' clearance. The front mounted AC was replaced with a smaller unit that would run with my Honda EU1000. Some RV parks wanted to charge extra for AC, they usually never realized I had one, it was so quiet. Also quiet inside, but I had to use a fan to direct the cool air to the back on hot days. Two years ago the 16 footer got toatlled out by flooding.

I bought a new 17' from the factory right away. More secure door locking.
Get the hi lift package w/15" tires. Has much better storage space than the 16. The larger fridge with freezer is very nice, keeps ice cream well. The top AC cools very well, but is noisy. No way to make it quieter if you need less cooling. Had to buy a 2000 watt generator.

Otherwise happy with the new trailer. Beats having to pay
$100 a night in a motel.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #30

Registry
"Otherwise happy with the new trailer. Beats having to pay
$100 a night in a motel."

Have you priced rooms in the National Parks recently? Four years ago I went through Glacier and Yellowstone. Couldn't find a room for under $300 a night. Camping saves a lot on rooms. Not to mention all the extra fees if you have pups with you.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Agreed, the Bigfoot tows great, unless there's a headwind. Then it is indeed a parachute. I have to say, with my small Tacoma (3.4L V6), it's really no problem to tow, so long as there's no headwind. But I guess I have nothing to compare it to. It's the only trailer I've had.

I can see how an egg-shape would tow better. The weight tends to be no problem for my truck; it's the air resistance that gives me trouble.

All the same, aside from occasional headwind problems, I enjoy towing my Bigfoot.
Zach I'd be hard pressed to say that "I enjoy" towing anything". Prior to my Bigfoot 17CB I had a Scamp 19'. The Scamp actually towed like a dream. It was aerodynamic, light, and I'm sure being hitched in the bed was a huge factor in being easy to tow. I loved the fit and finish of my Bigfoot and it was very comfortable to stay in. However it was VERY noticeable behind my rig. Not that it was hard to tow or that my Colorado Diesel couldn't handle it, it handled it fine. I actually towed a 25' stick built with 2 tip outs from Colville Wa to Las Vegas and it "handled" that fine also, but I sure felt like I was beat up at the end of the trip. The Oxygen towed like a 14' aluminum boat. You know it's there but barely.

When I sold the Oxygen I was all set to purchase a Bigfoot 21'. I'd previewed a few of them and they are available, priced right, and have everything I want. Then I called someone who was selling one and asked why he was selling it? He said that after towing it he felt like he was beat up. He had a Bigfoot 17' prior and thought the 17' towed like a dream compared to the 21'. Since I already feel the 17' tows "heavy" compared to other fiberglass trailers I'm rethinking my options.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #32

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with Mack the tug)
We have a 2003 Casita 16 and love the size and tow ability. We tow with 6cyl and the low profile of the 16 is great. The air conditioner up front has served us well in some very hot locations, found it works better if you remember to take off the front cover. Loaded we are at 2800 with a tongue weight of 240. We ran the air conditioner on Eco low last year in Winnipeg at the Boler ralley and stayed very cool. Love the Casita.

W
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
John how do you like your Escape 21 as compared to your Casita? I don't mean comforts of home as I'm sure the Escape is a fine trailer, but how does it tow, gas mileage, wind resistance, practical stuff.
We own both a 17ft Casita SD and a 21 ft Escape
The Casita tows slightly better , the wind resistance is considerably less so the tow fuel mileage is also slightly better
I would be more concerned about layout , features , options
and comfort then wind resistance and fuel mileage
If your unhappy camping in the trailer , better fuel mileage won’t do much to alleviate your sorrow. If your spouse is unhappy that will just make the problem worse .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #34

Arizona
Registry

On the other hand, if towing feels like a chore, you’ll use it less. It’s about hitting the right compromise between towability and livability.

And yup, spouses often have different ideas about where the sweet spot is. Marriage is either an endless debate... or an endless dance.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We own both a 17ft Casita SD and a 21 ft Escape
The Casita tows slightly better , the wind resistance is considerably less so the tow fuel mileage is also slightly better
I would be more concerned about layout , features , options
and comfort then wind resistance and fuel mileage
If your unhappy camping in the trailer , better fuel mileage won’t do much to alleviate your sorrow. If your spouse is unhappy that will just make the problem worse .
Very true statement. I totally get what you are saying. Unfortunately we travel back and forth from Loon Lake Wa to Boulder City Nv twice a year. Hauling a trailer is integral to our traveling. While in Nevada we roam all over the Southwest and when we are up north we spend a lot of time on the coast. Towing thousands of miles back and forth our shortest trips are 600-700 miles. I really do need to look at the Escape 21 as it is a bit lighter and slightly more air streamed than the Bigfoot. The bad thing about the Escape is there are far fewer of them out there and the used ones that are available have hugely inflated prices.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #36

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Very true statement. I totally get what you are saying. Unfortunately we travel back and forth from Loon Lake Wa to Boulder City Nv twice a year. Hauling a trailer is integral to our traveling. While in Nevada we roam all over the Southwest and when we are up north we spend a lot of time on the coast. Towing thousands of miles back and forth our shortest trips are 600-700 miles. I really do need to look at the Escape 21 as it is a bit lighter and slightly more air streamed than the Bigfoot. The bad thing about the Escape is there are far fewer of them out there and the used ones that are available have hugely inflated prices.
Many if not all Escape owners would question your statement that the price of an Escape is “Hugely Inflated “ . The price for an Escape is set by the free market and there is a large demand for their trailers . Escape has a very loyal customer base and for good reason .

We also make long distances trips ( 3000 to 7000 miles RT) and if fuel economy was our only consideration then we would never leave home . Our goal is to see America & Canada as comfortably and safely as possible
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:37 AM   #37

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
The 17’ has numerous advantages: interior height, flat door with screen, more efficient roof air, flat floor throughout, larger bath, larger rear window that opens for ventilation, straight frame rails, wider bed, full wraparound upper cabinets, larger fridge, wide twin (Independence) layout option...

Drawback is weight, especially tongue weight at 400-450# loaded. That, combined with a taller profile, typically requires a somewhat larger tow vehicle and/or use of a weight distributing hitch.
Yesterday 12:33 PM
if i may pick at a few nits here... the flat door on the 17'er may be considered an advantage by most but, that curved door is just so darned cool and you can have a screen door, you just have to build it. the roof air may be more efficient, but it also makes more noise and when it goes south it's pretty expensive to replace. the replacement for the 16'er is available in just about any big box store since it a run of the mill window unit for a whole lot less. the baths in both models are identical size.

nits aside i do think the 17'er is the best choice for couples. that extra foot does provide a spacious look and the extra storage can't hurt. obviously i'm traveling in a 16'er solo and it works great for me. oh yeah, the 16' rig will fit in most garages.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #38

Name: Robbie
Trailer: Casita
California
16 is for a certain type of person

ME! I went from a 17SD to a 16LD.

I think the 17 is arguably a better value, and probably a better all round fit for a couple.
Negatives are covered above, but,
I love my 16LD because of :
1. the wide open floor plan in the LD.(I use one small drop-in table when needed)
2. Two single beds (narrow but easily modified)
3. 300lb lighter than the 17
4. Cool Aircraft Door (appeals to retired pilot)
5. Mostly travel by myself but if DW decides to go there’s a bed.
6. Clean top (AC mounted below closet in mostly unusable space)
7. Looks Clean (no decals) and “Cool” , especially sitting in my yard.
8. I love taking my Nap in it every day.

Mine has Hi Lift Axel and 15” tires. Tows great with just a Sway Control (seems to take the “Twitch” out) My hitch weight is about 400lb. I think that’s because of the LD configuration.

For MPG I got:
14-15 with 07 Sequoia
15-17 with 13 Highlander
Rob in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #39

Arizona
Registry

Good points. “Advantages” should probably be called simply “differences.” Advantage or disadvantage is in the eye of the beholder.

Note that the high-lift axle option eliminates any possibility of getting a 16’er through a standard 7’ garage door.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Zach I'd be hard pressed to say that "I enjoy" towing anything". Prior to my Bigfoot 17CB I had a Scamp 19'. The Scamp actually towed like a dream. It was aerodynamic, light, and I'm sure being hitched in the bed was a huge factor in being easy to tow. I loved the fit and finish of my Bigfoot and it was very comfortable to stay in. However it was VERY noticeable behind my rig. Not that it was hard to tow or that my Colorado Diesel couldn't handle it, it handled it fine. I actually towed a 25' stick built with 2 tip outs from Colville Wa to Las Vegas and it "handled" that fine also, but I sure felt like I was beat up at the end of the trip. The Oxygen towed like a 14' aluminum boat. You know it's there but barely.

When I sold the Oxygen I was all set to purchase a Bigfoot 21'. I'd previewed a few of them and they are available, priced right, and have everything I want. Then I called someone who was selling one and asked why he was selling it? He said that after towing it he felt like he was beat up. He had a Bigfoot 17' prior and thought the 17' towed like a dream compared to the 21'. Since I already feel the 17' tows "heavy" compared to other fiberglass trailers I'm rethinking my options.
Steve,

I think I follow your drift here. I basically enjoyed towing our tear drop trailer the most, then the Casita, then the Escape 21; in that order.

Fully loaded, we fall within every manufacturer's rated weight limit for the Jeep. However, the driving experience while towing is one that requires more attention than I prefer under situations such as when taking I-90 across the mountain passes in Idaho.

Conditions like these, with high prevailing traffic speeds, pavement with long stretches in poor condition including rutting, scabbed-on maintenance patches which don't match the prevailing design grades, and various off camber bits which cause the trailer to twist behind the rig, basically don't lend to a relaxed experience behind the wheel.

The basic answer is of course to roll a bit slower, but that entails some inherent conflict as one risks becoming the "rock" in the stream of traffic which is attempting to flow by.

There's also a bit of "lunging" that occurs when crossing grade transitions and various other humps and bumps along the way. That's where I think a WDH might help smooth out the ride experience in the tow vehicle a bit.

I sense that at the core the sense of discomfort has much to do with the ratio of the trailer's weight to the tow vehicle's weight, a tail v. dog thing.

I'll check with Momma about putting some cushions and a camp stove in a 14 foot aluminum boat and will report back here very soon!

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just keep working on that molded fiberglass, collapsible pop-top, Bowlus Road Chief-inspired travel trailer design...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita