What's your big 2003 trip? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2003, 08:03 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Picture post card

JJ Pullstrailerwithyellowescape,

Is that a deer in the center of the picture, or a petroglyph of a deer?

:jump-r

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:17 PM   #22

Escaping in the Egg...

Greg and I are planning a few road trips this summer. It's our first ever with a travel trailer, so it should be a learning experience.
:steer
Late March/April - weekend road trip to Seattle to pick up a 'Doesn't ship to Canada' aftermarket seat for our truck.

Late May - across country to Southern Ontario (family in Kanata, Port Hope, Peterborough, Fenelon Falls).... probably through the US

Canadian Thanksgiving - back across the country to Toronto to visit the kin... hopefully a different way that in May

That eats up much of our vacation time, so the rest will be weekend trips in the area, to explore Beautiful British Columbia. We've only lived out here on the west coast for a few years and are looking forward to exploring.

I can hardly wait! :jump-r :sporty :jump-r My eagerness to hit the road is what is motivating me to get these pesky renos finished.

~ Melanie

Old 01-06-2003, 08:57 PM   #23

2003 trips...

Probably several; maybe a lot! I got my 2003 Casita 17SD as a business tool. I am starting a major 50-state documentary on the American family farm, and my research showed me that the Casita was the rolling HQ I needed for this project. I've already worked in Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky and am looking forward to the fun of seeing the country and getting to know folks all over this great nation.

(And who are those little smiley people on the left of this pane and what do they want? Did I do something wrong? They're cute, but is there any way to make them go away without hurting their feelings?)

Old 01-06-2003, 09:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Orginally posted by Robert Brummett
...And who are those little smiley people on the left of this pane and what do they want? Did I do something wrong? They're cute, but is there any way to make them go away without hurting their feelings?
You can use the Smilies or Not. They’re there for Morgan to help him not get in trouble. ...And sense I had to make them available to him, I made them available for everyone that wants to use them. As you noticed, they go away when you Submit. To use them just click on the one you want and it will place the code at the end of where you have typed. Enjoy.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:39 PM   #25

petroglyph

no those are real, :) as there are really two deer, one in front of the other. when I reduced the size of the picture, I lost some clarity, but not that much, Morgan.
we do have a rock that looks like a deer lying down, but the snow had that covered up. no carved ones though. as I look at that picture, I can't beleive it was really that way, just two weeks ago.

I have a question; reading Robert Brummett's profile, I noticed - York, PA & Co. Kerry, Ire.- is that Ireland? and other such interesting places?

Old 01-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

no those are real, :) as there are really two deer, one in front of the other. when I reduced the size of the picture, I lost some clarity, but not that much, Morgan.
we do have a rock that looks like a deer lying down, but the snow had that covered up. no carved ones though. as I look at that picture, I can't beleive it was really that way, just two weeks ago.
Thanks JJ,

That clears it up.

I thought it was a looong skinny deer or a petroglyph. :wave

Old 01-06-2003, 10:25 PM   #27

2003 trip

In February we are planning to leave Red Deer, Alberta and drive to San Diego. We'll only have two weekends and one week, so it really will be a drive and not much else. Apparently there is a great pie place in the San Diego area - that will be about all we have time for before we have to head back.:) Mainly, we're just looking for a break from the winter here, even if it is just for a short while.

The rest of the year will be long weekend trips - there is a great "show'n'shine" in Radium Hot Springs, BC in September - and just going to visit relatives and staying in our own space.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:37 PM   #28

New member welcome...

Welcome to Robert ... neat website, by the way. I snuck a peal at it.

~ Mel :wave

Old 01-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Orginally posted by Marion D
In February we are planning to leave Red Deer, Alberta and drive to San Diego. We'll only have two weekends and one week, so it really will be a drive and not much else. Apparently there is a great pie place in the San Diego area - that will be about all we have time for before we have to head back.:) Mainly, we're just looking for a break from the winter here, even if it is just for a short while.
Which way are you going to San Diego down California, I-5 Frwy or US-101 Frwy? If you go down US-101 Frwy, maybe we could have a cup of coffee together.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:43 AM   #30

Robert uses a Casita as a U.S. traveling office!

If you happened to miss Robert Brummett's post (above), be sure you go back to it. Then, if you have Irish heritage (as I do via Scotland and Canada), be sure to check out Robert's web site.

http://www.celtictraveler.com

Robert, you may set a record for a Casita if you travel to 49 states. (I doubt that you will add the 50th-state sticker on the Casita, but you'll certainly enjoy the very different type of farming and farming families in HI.)

That brings up an interesting point: who has traveled to the most states? Who to the most provinces? (Suz or JJ might want to start a different thread for that one, so that we stay topical.):inbox

Old 01-07-2003, 08:43 AM   #31

Hi, all!

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Yes, that's Ireland, but the form seemed to want to cut off the last four letters. The Dingle Peninsula is home when I am there.

My Casita is home, office, bunkhouse, cookshack, and "darkroom" when I am on the road. I put darkroom in quotes because I am in the process--sometimes painful, sometimes delightful--of changing over from traditional media to digital for much of my work. Thus, my Casita (named "Otra," as in "my other house" as well as an acronym for "On the road again") is where I transfer images from the storage media to my laptop where they can be reviewed, edited, even printed out if I want to leave some behind with my hosts. So far it has proven to be almost ideal.

I pull with a Ford F150 Kingcab V8 4x4 with a long (8') capped bed, so I have LOTS of wheelbase and hardly know that Otra is even back there. Otra is a 2003 17' Spirit Deluxe with "everything" including hi-lift axle and linoleum floor. (Traveling with a dawg means that lino will be much easier to keep relatively tidy than the standard carpet material.)

The only "mainland" state I have missed so far is ND, and I'm working on that. But that's before Otra, so she has a lot of catching up to do. And why NOT Hawaii? Casitas should float just fine!

Old 01-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #32

Route

Which way are you going to San Diego down California, I-5 Frwy or US-101 Frwy? If you go down US-101 Frwy, maybe we could have a cup of coffee together.

Hi Michael,

We were thinking that it will be Highway 15 all the way down. I have a trip plan coming from the Automobile Association so will see if they have any other suggestions. We would prefer to come down the coast by US-101 as the temperatures would be better on route (and it is so much nicer than the highway), but we thought that it would take an additional day to the coast and then still the three days down to San Diego.

If we do go the costal route, we'll let you know! Thank you for the thought. Marion

Old 01-07-2003, 08:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Orginally posted by Marion D
We were thinking that it will be Highway 15 all the way down. I have a trip plan coming from the Automobile Association so will see if they have any other suggestions. We would prefer to come down the coast by US-101 as the temperatures would be better on route (and it is so much nicer than the highway), but we thought that it would take an additional day to the coast and then still the three days down to San Diego.

If we do go the costal route, we'll let you know! Thank you for the thought. Marion
:wave Marion,

There is actually four routes going south though California.
1. Hwy 395 (eastern side of the High Sierras, don’t take that one)
2. US Interstate 5, “I-5” (fastest but hot and ugly)
3. US 101 Frwy (slightly inland and some coastal - my choice for the southern half of California)
4. US Hwy 1 (follows the coast, slow, windy, and beautiful)

I would take I-5 to the “Bay Area” (San Francisco Area) and then take one of the Freeways over to US Frwy 101 and go closer to the coast.

Keep me posted which way you decide on. Would love to meet you.

Old 01-08-2003, 11:47 AM   #34

2003 Plans

Our plan is not to plan any more than we have to. That is one of the main reason we use a travel trailer to travel in. We will be at the National Fiberglass Rally in Lexington, Ky. in June. Other wise the plan is to visit several state parks in Florida and the south east. Some of the time will be spent on the road at rest areas, private homes, and maybe even Wal-Mart parking lots.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:23 PM   #35

IF we get a trailer before summer, we are hoping to drive to Boulder, CO via New Mexico. Intended stops:
1. Guadalupe Mtns National Park, West Texas
2. Carlsbad Caverns, N.M.
3. Santa Fe, N.M.
4. Some of the national forests in N.M. in the mountains where it's nice and cool
5. Boulder

Susannah

Old 01-15-2003, 01:56 PM   #36

2003 plan

:wave lopez lake in april. lexington ky, and dc, and many points between here and there in june.
back home in rio linda in time to leave for sidney,au, about july 23.
have not planned further yet.:)

Old 03-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #37

With our NEW used 5th wheel Scamp...

We are taking two weeks at the end of June and going to northwest Montana. We will camp at the entance of Glacier National Park. I will attend a 6-day watercolor painting workshop and my husband will hike and bike in Glacier. Can't wait!

Nancy
SW Oregon

Old 03-02-2003, 01:52 AM   #38

summer trip

Last summer we did a long trip - BC to Drumheller, to Dinosaur Prov. Park, to Waterton National Park, back to BC. We did this over 2 weeks.

This year, I am heading for the Bolerama event in Cache Creek, and perhaps to Bella Coola, both of these trips are a short distance.

SO having back surgery next month, so perhaps less camping this year?

Old 03-04-2003, 07:14 AM   #39

Rick >> back surgery

Ouch! But maybe your SO (and you) can play on fiberglassrv.com full-time to speed their recovery! :)

Nancy>> Glacier

Nancy ... where are you going to stay at Glacier? Inside the park?

You can (and should) make reservations on the net for some (but not all) the National Park campgrounds. We've stayed at St. Mary's (eastside) and Fish Creek (westside). No services, so you'll have to practice your dry-camping skills!

Wish we were going with you!

Old 03-04-2003, 10:41 AM   #40

RVing Near Bigfork?

Charles, my watercolor workshop is in Lakeside on the NW side of Flathead Lake. I figure that we should probably find a place to camp somewhere in or near Bigfork. Does anyone have any ideas of good places to camp around there?

Nancy