Whats your occupation - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #155
Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD

Did timber sale administration for the US forest service, parts manager for a big motorcycle dealer, weatherization program as a grunt, foreman , trainer and finally as a self employed insulation and air sealing contractor. Then I quit and now as always , I'm a farmer raising Highland cattle , vegetables and making maple syrup.
I am not "blessed" but I do find the feel of the sun, rain ,wind and the earth beneath my feet to be very sexy!!

starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #156
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I used to put everything I've done on a resume and never got hired as
they thought I made it up, but I've always had 2 and 3 jobs at the same
time. Worked in multiple local factories, OTR truck driver, motorcycle mechanic,
Business owner, industrial mechanic, computer sales for son's business,
lead guitarist in a band, yada, yada;
Pastor for twelve years also while working full time.
Son had to lay me off once Obama took over..................hmmmmmmmm
So had my share of unemployment; then became 100% disabled.

Turned 65 last month so official title I guess is "retired."...................LOL

I still look over the want ads every week, but remind myself I'm not able
to do anything any more except read forums, etc.

I do manage to keep the grounds on our house, m-i-l's house, church property,
and now that the son has moved to florida, I brush hog his acreage when I have
good days. Otherwise it all goes until I have another good day.

Did I mention I'm retired?

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #157
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
And the cute kid story: My husband had passed the bar and was being awarded his certificate by a SC Supreme Court justice in front of a packed house. The solemn ceremony was broken up by my five-year-old asking loudly "Is my Daddy a liar now?"
LOVE IT!!!!!

Hope your 5 year old never loses his/her simplicity.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #158
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
What an interesting thread. Thanks for reviving it, Donna. What a diversity of occupations!

Let's see, as for me: Never settled into one career. I've worked as a retail sales clerk, a craftsperson selling my own clothing and home accessories designs, a waitress, a lab assistant, and a commercial greenhouse worker. My last and most satisfying job was managing a discount bookstore. I did that for 6 years and then retired.

My husband spent most of his working life as a commercial fisherman, fishing for salmon, halibut and black cod. He also put in stints as a deckhand on a small freighter, a realtor, a handyman and finally had his own small household moving company. After working most of his life in physically demanding jobs, he said enough was enough and retired when he was 60. I followed suit soon afterwards.

We've been RVing for many years, first with a 21' Toyota Dolphin, then with a 24' Coachmen Pathfinder Class C, then a 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class A motorhome and then did some serious downsizing to our Bigfoot. Couldn't be happier with our decision!

Our "careers" now include volunteer work for our local Food Bank and fostering dogs for an animal welfare group. My husband is also a driver for the American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery Program, providing rides for cancer patients to their doctor's appointments and treatments. I also write a newsletter for our home owners' association and enjoy photography as a hobby.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #159
Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Lately (past 38 years) I've been making hardwood toys. Not sure about the next 38. We will see.

Attached Thumbnails
John Michael Linck - Toymaker
Camping since 1960 - Scamp 13' Oak
Subaru Outback 4 cyl cvt
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #160
Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
For all the differences, I am amazed at the similarities.

My wife Mary is a retired flight attendant and (post 9/11) medical office manager.

I have been a theatrical sound designer for the nations largest community theater organization for almost 30 years. I am also part owner and senior systems designer for an A/V integration company. We do similar work to Ed Harris (previous posts), but all of ours is in large churches and performing arts spaces. I also used to oversee audio for the College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium.

If you ever pass through Omaha on I-80, make sure you stop at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. Trip Advisor just said it was the best zoo on earth. When you walk through, all the video displays, sounds you hear and control of it are mine.

But our most important job is to play adopted caretakers to a golden retriever (Lillie) and petite basset griffon vendeen (Rudy) and take them on fishing and camping excursions whenever possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim and Mary with Casita.jpg  
Attached Images
Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #161
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #162
Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Coachman
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Law Enforcement (Sheriff's Office). This just don't seem possible but I retire this December with 30 years under my belt at the ripe age of 49. I've never done anything else. It's going to be a crazy next year. Bring it on!!!!!
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #163
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Dang got me thinking I have been working since I had to lie about my age to get a work permit as a minor. 40 years.

Pretty much do whatever pays enough to put a possum in the pot for dinner. Restaurant work kitchen and dining room, short order. Retail sales at a camping and military surplus store. Certified master motorcycle mechanic. Truck driver started out with moving companies, then machine shops. In shops I have done everything from assembly to production and fabrication welding. Mill Wright assistant, tool and die and prototype work. Forklift operator. Delivered building supplies, worked for a window company driving, manufacturing, and field work. Owned my own business for 3 years (hours were awful, pay was worse, good help non-existent) All that physical work took a toll so I went to community college learned programming and ever since have been building and integrating applications, doing server and database administration at Michigan State University. Supporting online education. As we like to say in our design group, we make the impossible possible, the difficult easy.

I personally say my job is to ask the client 10,000 questions so I can apply the right logic to doing CRUD. Create Read Update and Delete of data. Everything else is eye candy.

I saw someone mention SUNY I recall meeting some of those folks at conferences, back when Angel LMS was new. And maybe at the Blackboard conference right after Angel was purchased by Blackboard.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #164
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
I graduated from SAIT in 1992 as an Electrical Engineering Tech. (EET). I have worked as a line man, power line cartographer, designer / drafts man, controls tech, and now I sell expensive dodads into the oil and gas industry, (instrumentation) over the phone.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #165
Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
For paid work: Engineer at an automotive company (thankfully one that likes technology, makes money, takes care of its people, and lets me have fun!)

For real work: Family, church, financial counseling, time with at risk youth...

For fun work: CAMPING!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #166
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Retired. Best job I've ever had. Can't figure out why it took so long!!! Should have done it first.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #167
Name: Claudia
Trailer: Casita
Logistics Jedi for the Army!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
WADDYWOODSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #168
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Poor (but proud), old, broken down, Construction Worker. Mostly as a Carpenter in commercial construction but I built a bunch of houses as well (including a few for myself). There is a lot of satisfaction sitting in a recliner looking around thinking “I built this”. Back in my early adulthood I took advantage of the local Vo-Tec school attending evening classes in Carpentry, Cabinet Making, Welding, HVAC, Machine Shop, and Electricity. I hung around so long they put me to work teaching. That and a Graduate Degree I somehow fit in along the way led to a stint teaching nights at the Community College. I enjoyed it all but after my family came along I decided one (day) job was enough. I also lay block and brick although a sage old timer once told me never to admit it to anyone, lest they ask you to do it! In short, I can and have built most everything. All this knowledge and skill means I am only marginally qualified to keep my old Scamp on the road.

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote