Whats your occupation - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #169
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Dang got me thinking I have been working since I had to lie about my age to get a work permit as a minor. 40 years.

I remember the days when us youngsters didn't need no
stinking work permit..........LOL

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #170
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
At the beach in NH you could be 14 and work at the beach.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #171
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
My wife of 38+ years is an associate professor of special education at Roosevelt University in downtown Chicago (her link is in an earlier posting) and earned a Ph.D. from the University of Iowa. She also taught in K-12 schools (French and special education), was an Iowa special education consultant, and at Upper Iowa University, Concordia-St. Paul, Southeast Missouri State Univ., and National-Louis Univ. before joining Roosevelt U.

I am the superintendent of schools for the Elmwood Park Community Unit School District #401 in Elmwood Park, IL. We have a K-12 enrollment of about 3,000 students and are located just west of the city boundary of Chicago. I was an elementary teacher, high school coach, state consultant in Iowa, curriculum director, and an assistant professor at Univ. of Wisconsin - Stout and Southeast Missouri State Univ. Most recently I was an assistant superintendent in Kenosha, WI, and Oak Park, IL, before joining Elmwood Park CUSD 401 in 2011. I hold an Ed.D. from Northern Iowa University and am in my 39th year in education.

Six more years until retirement (Currently planned for age 66). But we enjoy our UHaul VT for interesting trips now, including working each year on the Pine Ridge Lakota reservation in South Dakota and presenting workshops on Native American culture.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #172
Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
I am currently a free-lance commercial artist/web designer for several companies. They keep me plenty busy managing their web sites, creating sales catalogs & print materials, and creating slick advertising & marketing campaigns to sell their products. I work mostly by myself so I often wear many hats to execute projects from start to finish. Before I got into this business I grew up building houses with my dad. During my spry young years I helped my dad build around 40 homes before deciding that wasn't what I wanted to do for a living. Went off to college to study drafting and architectural design and ended up changing my major to commercial art & advertising design. I guess I needed more color in my life. For the past 33 years I've worked for several ad agencies, as an art director for a major telecommunication company (won't mention their name, but it starts with an A and ends with a T and has a funny twisted font in the middle that looks something like this &), walked away from that job in 1995 and started painting wildlife full time for the next ten years (best time of my life), then after the 9/11 economy crash ran me out of business I started free-lancing my design skills again and have been doing it ever since. I don't make a killing but my career keeps my mind sharp and I love what I do. I'm also a self taught web designer and manage several retail web sites for companies in our area.
My wife is a school teacher with 28 years service in the county school system. She plans to retire in two years.
Me, I guess I'll be working until I die or things like brain, fingers, & eyes stop working.
Oh, I was a beach lifeguard in Myrtle Beach, SC three summers while I was in college (another best time of my life!).
And I could never forget when my two sons were born!
greg489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #173
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I can't believe I never posted here but searched "chemistry" and only found someone else. So..

I just retired from teaching chemistry at Fresno State (California) in July. I'd gone half-time fall 2010 so retiring won't feel real until I don't have to go back in January.

Since going half-time I wrote a book based on my second "career"- as a volunteer I run a corgi cart (wheelchair) loan program for CorgiAid (CorgiAid:CorgiAid Cart Program ) and a Yahoo group for Corgis on Wheels, which also is the name of my book. And yes, there are a lot, but less because of the long backs as you might think and more due to degenerative myelopathy, the canine form of ALS. Not really a second career but keeps me as busy as I want to be.
Attached Images
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #174
Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
My wife and I were both in education until we retired last year. I taught middle school math and algebra 1 for 38 years. She taught k - 12 PE for 22 and was a HS librarian for the last 10.
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #175
Name: Tim
Rhode Island
High school Chemistry teacher for the last 35 years. 5 or 6 more before I call it quits.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #176
Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
My wife Beth was an occupational therapist until seven years ago, then retired saying it was time after putting children and husband through school…why husband?

I worked twenty nine years for the Canadian Pacific Railway in four cities in three provinces until I turned 50 and they said goodbye, so, after three years kicking around I went to seminary and became a pastor for six years full time, and now retired living in the same town as four grandchildren, getting some preaching in still, and looking forward to being snowbirds in our Escape this winter in NM and AZ!

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #177
Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Retired last week from public employment (State of Minnesota) as a database programmer for the Department of Human Services. Getting the egg ready to head out.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #178
Name: Ben and Janie
Trailer: 2013 16foot Scamp tug 2003 Ford Ranger
I retired from the USAF after 20 years opened my own Locksmith shop became disabled due to mishap with a F-16 frighter jet while in military wife is a reading teacher that a elemary school
Ben and Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #179
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I am a lowly paid county employee that is the underwriter for a $5 million revolving loan fund. I'll be 62 next month and probably have to work at least 4 more years. I'd be out of luck (and egg-less) if it wasn't for my wonderful wife who is very gainfully employed!

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #180
Name: Dave
I have a phd in geotechnical engineering and work for a consulting company on a wide range of projects ranging from oilsands/oil/gas/pipeline facilities, to bridges/roads/tunnels and other infrastructure projects, and numerical modeling of soil-structure interaction problems. One highlight of my career was to spend 3 yrs undertaking the design of foundations for the 13 km long Confederation Bridge in PEI. We have always loved the outdoors and our Escape trailer provides us with a great way to experience nature with most of the comforts of home. I hope to retire within the next 10-12 years and then spend a lot of time traveling and experiencing a lot more of Canada and the US.
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #181
Name: Emily
Trailer: Future Scamp 5th Wheel owner
I went to college and accomplished a BA in English and an MFA in Creative Writing. Graduate school was funded by an internship at my aunt's place of employment: a software company. That internship turned into a full time technical writing gig writing end user manuals and training materials, which has turned into 12 years experience so far in the computer software industry. I'm now product manager in a medium sized software company that creates software for low income housing agencies funded by HUD. We are a growing company, which means I wear many hats (jack of all trades, master of none as they say), and it can be very stressful. I also work at home and have two small children and I've become filled with wanderlust and am anxious to get out of my insular little world and explore and have adventures and give my kids experiences I never had as a kid. I can't wait to get out there!
My husband is a college English professor and has such a wonderful flexible work schedule and truly enjoys his job. I'm also going to try teaching a course next semester to see if I like it and if I do, I may make a career change... we shall see.
Bessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #182
Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
We've been retired (for sure) since the late 1990's. I retired after 20yrs in the USAF as an Air Traffic Control Supt., in 1977; then spent 15yrs as a 'cop'. I was Director of Public Safety for a small division/campus of the Arkansas Dept of Human Services where my wife worked as a Psychiatric Technician Nurse until we took 'early retirement' in 1992. I took part time jobs in security & courier work to pay for extra trips until '97 or '98. Since then I haven't 'hit a lick' at anything I don't want to. We do 'sit' a couple of infant great grand daughters 2-3 days a week which keeps us from getting to sedentary... If I'd known 'retirement' was this much fun I'd have done it earlier!

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote