Whats your occupation - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 PM   #141

Name: Cody
Trailer: 1975 Boler
British Columbia
Registry
4th Class steam engineer
beater_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:58 PM   #142

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I'm a licensed railroad conductor in "The Last Frontier", certified in both freight and passenger service. These days, railroad conductors and locomotive engineers are licensed after meeting strict Federal Government training and certification standards, much in the same manner that commercial airline pilots are licensed. It's an interesting profession, a constant adventure, sometimes dangerous, very demanding, and comes with a wacky lifestyle. But I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
conductor_trainjunkie.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 AM   #143

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I had 3 real jobs after college and learned I don't suffer fools very well. Decided I was as big a fool as they were and started my own business. Every 3-10 years, I would either sell or close down that business. take a year off, and then start a new business.

My last business was the one I enjoyed the most. I started doing contract training and then grew it into a technical training company where we taught Novell and Microsoft network operating systems, web development, network security, etc.

Sold the business in 2002 and never got around to starting another one so I guess I must be retired.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #144

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I was a teacher/guidance counselor and don't have any pictures of me "at work." Tomorrow, Sept 2, I start into my 25th year of retirement. Unbelievable. I retired young though I taught from 1958 until 1990. Are any of you older than I am? If you are, good. I won't be the only "old f**t" on here.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #145

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I have been a computer programmer for 30 years. I started out on punch cards, way back before PC's. Nowadays I find I am as old as my colleague's parents. Really annoying.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #146

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Jobs

I pushed and drove ships all over the oceans of the world. Had a lot of fun doing it and enjoyed seeing many places. Sorry i haven't figured out how to upload a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2472.jpg  
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #147

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
First job(s) after college were graphic artist for newspaper and various ad agencies. Went overseas and taught Scuba diving (PADI Master Instructor) to 500+ people in several countries. Owned a commercial bakery in El Salvador. Came back to the states and got a mechanical engineering degree at age 56, and worked as an engineer until I retired last year. Now, I want to and do travel, but need the trailer to carry my adoptees (two cats and a parrot) with me. I'll enjoy it more than they do, but at least they won't be home alone any more.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #148

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
And the cute kid story: My husband had passed the bar and was being awarded his certificate by a SC Supreme Court justice in front of a packed house. The solemn ceremony was broken up by my five-year-old asking loudly "Is my Daddy a liar now?"
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #149

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Clinical hospital pharmacist x 41 years at the largest hospital in rural America. One more and I'm outta there!
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #150
DBH

Name: Greg
Trailer: '76 Trillium
Ontario
"It doesn't pay very well but the hours are terrible..."

Basically, some guy waves a stick at me and I bounce around trying to draw a pleasant sound out of an antique wooden box. If I think about it too hard, it's a totally ludicrous way to make a living, however, I do love doing it and somehow they keep paying me!
Attached Thumbnails
Greg Stage w:bass.JPG  
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #151

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Middle school Language Arts/Social Studies and Ukulele teacher. This is my last year. Looking forward to more time to travel and camp. Going to get the Campster ready for a cross country jaunt when I retire. Should be interesting.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #152

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Jet mechanic

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #153

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Former college, career and personal counselor in public high schools.
My current business card reads "Connoisseur of Life".
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #154

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
This is me: Faculty

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #155

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
occupation

Did timber sale administration for the US forest service, parts manager for a big motorcycle dealer, weatherization program as a grunt, foreman , trainer and finally as a self employed insulation and air sealing contractor. Then I quit and now as always , I'm a farmer raising Highland cattle , vegetables and making maple syrup.
I am not "blessed" but I do find the feel of the sun, rain ,wind and the earth beneath my feet to be very sexy!!
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #156

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I used to put everything I've done on a resume and never got hired as
they thought I made it up, but I've always had 2 and 3 jobs at the same
time. Worked in multiple local factories, OTR truck driver, motorcycle mechanic,
Business owner, industrial mechanic, computer sales for son's business,
lead guitarist in a band, yada, yada;
Pastor for twelve years also while working full time.
Son had to lay me off once Obama took over..................hmmmmmmmm
So had my share of unemployment; then became 100% disabled.

Turned 65 last month so official title I guess is "retired."...................LOL

I still look over the want ads every week, but remind myself I'm not able
to do anything any more except read forums, etc.

I do manage to keep the grounds on our house, m-i-l's house, church property,
and now that the son has moved to florida, I brush hog his acreage when I have
good days. Otherwise it all goes until I have another good day.

Did I mention I'm retired?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #157

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
And the cute kid story: My husband had passed the bar and was being awarded his certificate by a SC Supreme Court justice in front of a packed house. The solemn ceremony was broken up by my five-year-old asking loudly "Is my Daddy a liar now?"
LOVE IT!!!!!

Hope your 5 year old never loses his/her simplicity.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #158

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
What an interesting thread. Thanks for reviving it, Donna. What a diversity of occupations!

Let's see, as for me: Never settled into one career. I've worked as a retail sales clerk, a craftsperson selling my own clothing and home accessories designs, a waitress, a lab assistant, and a commercial greenhouse worker. My last and most satisfying job was managing a discount bookstore. I did that for 6 years and then retired.

My husband spent most of his working life as a commercial fisherman, fishing for salmon, halibut and black cod. He also put in stints as a deckhand on a small freighter, a realtor, a handyman and finally had his own small household moving company. After working most of his life in physically demanding jobs, he said enough was enough and retired when he was 60. I followed suit soon afterwards.

We've been RVing for many years, first with a 21' Toyota Dolphin, then with a 24' Coachmen Pathfinder Class C, then a 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class A motorhome and then did some serious downsizing to our Bigfoot. Couldn't be happier with our decision!

Our "careers" now include volunteer work for our local Food Bank and fostering dogs for an animal welfare group. My husband is also a driver for the American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery Program, providing rides for cancer patients to their doctor's appointments and treatments. I also write a newsletter for our home owners' association and enjoy photography as a hobby.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #159

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Lately (past 38 years) I've been making hardwood toys. Not sure about the next 38. We will see.

John
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #160

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
For all the differences, I am amazed at the similarities.

My wife Mary is a retired flight attendant and (post 9/11) medical office manager.

I have been a theatrical sound designer for the nations largest community theater organization for almost 30 years. I am also part owner and senior systems designer for an A/V integration company. We do similar work to Ed Harris (previous posts), but all of ours is in large churches and performing arts spaces. I also used to oversee audio for the College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium.

If you ever pass through Omaha on I-80, make sure you stop at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. Trip Advisor just said it was the best zoo on earth. When you walk through, all the video displays, sounds you hear and control of it are mine.

But our most important job is to play adopted caretakers to a golden retriever (Lillie) and petite basset griffon vendeen (Rudy) and take them on fishing and camping excursions whenever possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim and Mary with Casita.jpg  
Attached Images

Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote