When selling... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Cat in this situation the year of the CRV is irrelevant. 17' Boler's weigh in well over a CRV towing cap regardless of year. A loaded Boler 17' (we have lots of them attend our meets) is going to weigh in closer to 3000lbs than to 2500lbs - for some years of CRV thats almost 3 times its towing cap and others its almost double the towing capacity.

As I have said before the situation we have here with 2 or 3 people continually promoting the towing of trailers well over the tow vehicles towing specs is really disturbing one and I really wish the forum would come up with a firm policy on it.

What scares me even more is that some people, as in this instance even go so far as to indirectly acknowledge that as they are fully aware that their recommendations don't fit the standard safe towing practices that the majority of people here follow. Yet they would send a private message to someone recommending they tow a trailer well over their tow vehicles specs rather than post it for all to see. Seriously! If they dont even have the courage to post a recommendation publicly here so that others can respond to it that IMHO is just down right wrong and scary!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol,

I assume you are writing about me in the previous post.

I have been very public about my towing with a Honda CRV. My postings about our experience state what I do. Individuals can choose to make their own decisions. The sharing of information is the life blood of knowledge growth.

My private emails came about because I was trying to remove the Honda CRV issue from the forum since their are some who find my position "wrong and scary". It definitely was not a lack of courage. I try not to make a reccomendation, in public posts or private emails but rather to state what we do and how we do it.

As to towing a 3,000 lb Boler 17, I have never suggested that someone tow a 3,000 lb trailer of any make with a Honda CRV.

It's not necessary for the forum to create the restrictive policy you suggest. I no longer intend to post on the site as a traditional member and will not privately post unless someone asks me for information on a subject.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Wondering what your thoughts are on this one Carol.

Our 14 year old V6 station wagon has no tow rating here in Canada but twice that of our trailers weight in Europe. Our mechanic is European trained and specializes in this brand in his 14 bay shop. Shakes his head in wonderment saying that he will install a hitch if we want because the vehicle was designed to take it. Going on to say that we would not believe what he has seen this car tow in the mountains of Europe.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #18

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I agree with Norm that no restrictive policies on speech are required or desirable. It is caveat emptor or consider the source, take it with a grain of salt. Censorship is a slippery slope.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As I have said before the situation we have here with 2 or 3 people continually promoting the towing of trailers well over the tow vehicles towing specs is really disturbing one and I really wish the forum would come up with a firm policy on it.

What scares me even more is that some people, as in this instance even go so far as to indirectly acknowledge that as they are fully aware that their recommendations don't fit the standard safe towing practices that the majority of people here follow. Yet they would send a private message to someone recommending they tow a trailer well over their tow vehicles specs rather than post it for all to see. Seriously! If they dont even have the courage to post a recommendation publicly here so that others can respond to it that IMHO is just down right wrong and scary!
Frankly I don't think anyone disagreed with the OP telling someone with an owners manual stating 1000 lbs max that a 16 ft. trailer they know can be close to 3000 lbs was too much. It was the right and honest thing to do.

It's not a good policy in my opinion to have a policy on what ideas and information can be expressed, as long as it is expressed in a polite manner. And has something to do with FG trailers and not politics

When I read the post from Norm I got the feeling he was saying he would start a conversation with the buyer via PM rather than get people all worked up and set off a flame war on the forum. Considering the response he might have a point.

Norm put a max weight he would consider for his model of CRV at 2600 lbs.
I don't think I would even consider going to that weight with a CRV on a regular basis but....

I have learned a lot of useful information from posts by Norm on how he does it. Have learned a lot of information from the posts by people that strongly disagree with him.

Not having those discussions because of a policy would be a loss. I do hope that Norm will continue to post his ideas and experiences here, he like many of us, have been there done that, and have something to contribute from the experience.

A post is not official "news and information" it's knowledge, opinion, experience and sometimes just best guess. Everyone has different versions of that to bring to the party.

Recalling a closed post on "recommended products" I think if we have to reach consensus we won't post anything. The few who questioned the Red Max use, despite being outnumbered by the "majority" raised good points.

Sail area would be an example of that here from Norm. My 13ft is within weight (at least empty) but would probably be a poor choice for a TV with 1000 lb max towing capacity. They should be looking at a pop-up or tear drop with reduced wind resistance.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think this thread has run it's course and is being closed