When selling... - Fiberglass RV


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
When selling...

I have my Boler 1700 up for sale and one of the people expressing an interest is proposing to tow it with a CRV. I told her I will NOT sell it to her if she intends to tow with that. I have to live with myself and knowingly putting her into that position is not something I want on my conscience.

I have no idea of what if any legal liability such a sale may or may not incurr, but lawyers can be hired - my conscience is not for sale.
__________________

__________________
BCDave is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Good for you....
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
I respect your decision not to place someone in a position that could get them or others hurt! And honestly, the buyer should respect your knowledge as well. Good for you!
__________________
Robin G is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 575
Registry
Two thumbs up. You are a good guy!
__________________
Sue and Henry is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Reality

I hesitate to post. If I knew the potential purchaser I would have sent her a private email to avoid the hassle of this forum. Here goes...

To the person wanting to buy the Boler 17 and planning to tow it with a Honda CRV.

I know nothing about Boler 17s as to their weight and frontal area though it appears that a loaded Boler 17 can weigh about the same as a my Scamp 16. I believe a Honda CRV can easily and safely tow 2500 to 2600 pounds.

We all seem to worry about weight but to me a big concern is the frontal area. As the frontal area, height times width, gets larger it puts a bigger strain on the tow vehicle, particularly at high speeds.

A way to consider frontal area is imagine towing as sail perpendicular to the direction of travel that is 10 x 10 feet, not dissimilar from the parachutes used to stop the space shuttle. Wind resistance is a big deal. (Please remember I know nothing about a Boler 17's frontal area; I have never even seen one.)

As a reference point, my 2004 Honda CRV has functioned beautifully towing a 1991 Scamp 16 and even a heavier 1995 Casita 16. My experience is that you will not find a more reliable small vehicle.

Wishing you well in your search for a trailer,
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Camilla's Avatar
 
Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I have my Boler 1700 up for sale and one of the people expressing an interest is proposing to tow it with a CRV. I told her I will NOT sell it to her if she intends to tow with that. I have to live with myself and knowingly putting her into that position is not something I want on my conscience.

I have no idea of what if any legal liability such a sale may or may not incurr, but lawyers can be hired - my conscience is not for sale.
I guess I don't get it. What is the gvwr of a CRV?
__________________
Camilla is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Wishing you well in your search for a trailer,
Not me looking for a trailer - I am selling my '78 Boler - but only to someone who will tow with a vehicle capable of safely handling and controlling it.

She checked her owners manual. It says 1,000 lb. maximum.

NOTE: It does not "recommend" 1,000, it has a warning, in RED INK that the maximum trailer weight permissible is 1,000 lb. The Boler weighs a lot closer to 2,000 when empty and has a GVW of 2950.
__________________
BCDave is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I believe a Honda CRV can easily and safely tow 2500 to 2600 pounds.

We all seem to worry about weight but to me a big concern is the frontal area. As the frontal area, height times width, gets larger it puts a bigger strain on the tow vehicle, particularly at high speeds.
I believe the owners manual.
Mine has over 60 listings for towing weights based on the vehicle configuration.
Yet it clearly states a single maximum frontal area for a trailer all configurations.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Doug Mager's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 2,536
Registry
...have Maple Ridge Egger friends who HAD a CRV and bought a 15ft Escape. REAL quick like the CRV was dumped in favor of a Pilot. The couple are now on their 2nd cross Canada (and Northern U.S.) tour and LOVING it.
I too condone your actions Dave.
__________________
Doug Mager is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I hesitate to post. If I knew the potential purchaser I would have sent her a private email to avoid the hassle of this forum. Here goes...

To the person wanting to buy the Boler 17 and planning to tow it with a Honda CRV.

I know nothing about Boler 17s as to their weight and frontal area though it appears that a loaded Boler 17 can weigh about the same as a my Scamp 16. I believe a Honda CRV can easily and safely tow 2500 to 2600 pounds.

We all seem to worry about weight but to me a big concern is the frontal area. As the frontal area, height times width, gets larger it puts a bigger strain on the tow vehicle, particularly at high speeds.

A way to consider frontal area is imagine towing as sail perpendicular to the direction of travel that is 10 x 10 feet, not dissimilar from the parachutes used to stop the space shuttle. Wind resistance is a big deal. (Please remember I know nothing about a Boler 17's frontal area; I have never even seen one.)

As a reference point, my 2004 Honda CRV has functioned beautifully towing a 1991 Scamp 16 and even a heavier 1995 Casita 16. My experience is that you will not find a more reliable small vehicle.

Wishing you well in your search for a trailer,
I personally don't think it to be in the best interest of this forum or for anyone's safety for anyone to suggest that someone tow over the weight limit specifications set out in their vehicles owners manuals regardless of the trailers frontal area or what they personally tow with.
Carol H is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Yeah the CRV is way too small for the 1700. Even the 1300 would be a stretch according to the Honda specs. A Scamp 16 is a lot lighter than the 1700 according to the trailer weight thread.
__________________
Rene is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I believe a Honda CRV can easily and safely tow 2500 to 2600 pounds.

I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!!!!
__________________
Robin G is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
Cat
Junior Member
 
Name: Cat
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
Posts: 3
Hello, the year of the CRV seems important when looking for information about tow capacity. The 2001 has a listed 1000/lbs while the 2002 is listed as having a towing capacity of 1,500-lbs, as listed on the Honda web site. So the CRV year has an influence on the tow capacity.
It is great to know there are people looking out for each other and sharing information. Thanks
__________________
Cat is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
I started to respond to Norm's comments when I realized I have nothing to add to the numerous threads already covering the idea of towing beyond what the manufacturer recommends. So I will direct my thoughts to BCDaves situation as that's really the topic at hand. Dave, if after you have honestly informed the buyer of your concerns about towing with a CRV and they still want to buy it, I think you can sell it with a clear conscience. You have done far more than many would do. You have no control as to what tow vehicle the new owner decides to use. Someone could show up in a pick up, buy the trailer, and the next day trade for a Honda Fit (another fine tow vehicle ). We all dig our own holes. Raz
__________________

__________________
Raz is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling from US to Canada Bobbie Mayer Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 14 09-21-2011 10:38 AM
I'm selling my Casita Legacy Posts General Chat 7 07-30-2003 09:36 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.