Where are safe and free places to park overnight? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If your car has an alarm system its a good bet that one the back of the key fob there is a red panic button which will set off the car alarm. Keep your keys within reach when doing short stop overs & your at all concerned.
Taking that key fob with you, in your hand, when you walk up to the rest area facilities or across a parking lot is also a good security measure for anytime or place. Not just overnight parking.

Especially because the car alarm keeps going, irrespective of anything else you might be doing. Such as running or struggling.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #30

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Are you sure CA is in the USA? Many years ago I have migrant working telling me it wasn't possible the CA and the rest of the USA were not part of same country.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Always consider the source of information.

There is a certain group that claims that they "Own" California, that it was taken from them illegally in 1848, and that they want it back. But that group seems to have forgotten who they stole it from in the first place.....

Same problem seems to happen in New Mexico, where they have to put USA right on the license plates.

A Solution: In as much as some of Texas wants to cede from the Union, maybe we can just give back Texas and 100 dead chickens as a swap. But, considering the current economy, that might be a bit generous on the chicken part. (LOL)

Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
The Canadians want California? Why?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #32

California
Well, it would slightly double the population and they would get a lot of gardeners for year round landscaping tasks, not to mention a lot of really bad hockey players
Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #33

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
So, how do you enforce an overnight parking ban when the store is open 24hrs?
Byron is right, there is more to worry about on the highway,especially if you should be sleeping!
We don't carry dogs or guns, but you just don't want challenge the Angels on guard. We sleep safe and sound.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #34

California
When Paul Blart, Mall Cop, is on duty, nothing escapes his all-knowing gaze.....

Seems he loves waiting until you turn off your lights and then, about an hour later, just when your are well asleep, comes to knock on your door. And, in as much as you are usually parked on private property, he is can ask you to leave.....

And if you don't turn off your lights, he will come to visit and be sure you are OK. Either way, you get to move.

As you might guess, in years gone by, I have been kicked out of some of the nicest parking lots in town.... So, I am both older and wiser now.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #35

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Any business that has deliveries via semi's will have them arriving at anytime and if closed, they will sit and idle/sleep until the store opens. Not sure if that is violating the no overnite parking rule if they are delivering waiting. I also have been known to stop at a Wallyworld while undertow to purchase items, how do they know if I'm inside the store or inside the camper. Rules are only as good as the enforcement thereof.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #36

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
If staying in business parking lot, I want to say in one that's open all night. Then I can always say I'm shopping. I usually purchase something also, then I have a receipt to show that I was shopping. I've never be questioned.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #37

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------

Always consider the source of information.

There is a certain group that claims that they "Own" California, that it was taken from them illegally in 1848, and that they want it back. But that group seems to have forgotten who they stole it from in the first place.....

Same problem seems to happen in New Mexico, where they have to put USA right on the license plates.

A Solution: In as much as some of Texas wants to cede from the Union, maybe we can just give back Texas and 100 dead chickens as a swap. But, considering the current economy, that might be a bit generous on the chicken part. (LOL)
I always thought CA was going to break off and go into the ocean.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #38

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The Canadians want California? Why?
Well its actually only a sub group in the Vancouver area who figure that as we are already known as Hollywood North we may as well grab the real thing. Besides a great many of us spend 4 or 5 months every winter there anyways.... not to mention the cheaper housing has a big appeal.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #39

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Any business that has deliveries via semi's will have them arriving at anytime and if closed, they will sit and idle/sleep until the store opens. Not sure if that is violating the no overnite parking rule if they are delivering waiting. I also have been known to stop at a Wallyworld while undertow to purchase items, how do they know if I'm inside the store or inside the camper. Rules are only as good as the enforcement thereof.
And proof of a bad rule is strict enforcement!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I also have been known to stop at a Wallyworld while undertow to purchase items, how do they know if I'm inside the store or inside the camper. Rules are only as good as the enforcement thereof.
Well if its after 9PM and the store is closed that might be a big clue. I have not actually seen any that are open around the clock on the west coast except for a few weeks at Christmas time. Not saying there arent any but suspect they may be likely to be in a big city with no RV parking to start with.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #41

California
Most of the W-M Super-Centers in SoCal are open 24/7.

How do they know if you are Overnighting?

At 24/7 stores, lot security peeps start keeping keep track of any parked RV's after about 10 PM. If they don't move in about an hour they knock on the door. If no one answers, two hours later they come back, if still no answers they can call the local's and have the vehicle towed. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. Remember, for the most part you are dealing first with local "Security Officers" aka wannabe Real Officers and they love being Mr. Bada$$.

In the examples of stores that close for the night, the local Police don't want any extra vehicles/peeps around closed stores anyway and local ordinances are their weapon of choice.

Contrary to one suggestion, I would think that a TV and trailer parked in front of a Jewelry store at night would get a patrol officers attention, and an invite to leave please, in about a New York minute.

Just offering my own experiences.....
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #42

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
We recently had a minor breakdown in Ohio, and we were thinking that we would be forced to be guests of Wal-mart for the night. but they said we had to park out beyond the third row of light poles, and that put us right near a roadhouse type place that had the walls shaking with very loud music. There were too many bright lights, and all sorts of loud and rowdy people around. It was clear there would be no sleep if we stayed there...

But with permission, we have stayed in parking lots at libraries, schools, and fire stations. Small towns can be very hospitable. It helps to stop driving early and make your arrangements before it gets dark...