Where are safe and free places to park overnight? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #71

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Now I can understand the point of the local rv campground objecting... but when your traveling from A to B and driving as many hours as you can how many of those local campgrounds are open at 10pm? I havent done alot of long distance drives(towing or not) but when Im enroute to a destination I drive as late as I safely can and motels are generally open 24 hours so whatever time I stop I could get a room...is that true with campgrounds? If it isn't then the point of stopping at a Walmart Parkinglot for a few hours of sleep and hitting the road seems valid.

Now if your on vacation and think about staying in the local walmart parkinglot for several nights would be a totally different thing.
Deryk ; I also see your point but I can see the other side of the argument. I have several friends who own campgrounds and they constantly complain about having to comply with every little regulation yet Walmart is exempt . If I was running a small business and was barely making a profit I would object to someone else getting special treatment. By the way , the same campground owners complain about local , county, and state parks which offer camping and cut into their business using their tax dollars .We have no local or county parks in our are that offer camping due to their objections . If everyone acted like you when staying at a Walmart the objections would diminish but I have seen people CAMPING in a Walmart lot complete with outdoor lounge chairs ,charcoal grills ,loud boomboxes and dumping their waste tanks down the storm sewer

Old 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #72

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
According to the Wal-Mart Yahoo site, the object to staying overnight at a Wal-Mart is to NOT look like you are camping. Of course there are always that will do what ever they want and ruin a good thing for everyone.

And about the "Camp Ground Owners" thing:

This is a popular misconception brought up numerous times on that site. While there have been a few proven examples of local campground owners keeping overnight parking prohibited at Wal-Marts, theses are really few and few between.

Most complaints come from ordinary citizens that see a few that abuse the privilege and throw out the baby with the bath water.

In several cases Wal-Marts have been overrun and begin to look like hobo camps and it's just easier to say NO than sort the wheat from the chaff.

There is almost no OP allowed at Wal-Marts in all of SoCal, but all of the state beaches are full almost every night as are almost all of the (very few) private campgrounds in the area.

For the price of an overnight spot in most SoCal private campgrounds and the state beaches you can often get a room at a Motel 6, so why pay the same to pull in, have to hook up everything and then take down leave the next morning when a motel can be as cheap.

Everyone like to complain about Wal-Mart, but almost everyone goes there, some incognito I guess.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #73

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I think that the people that object to Walmart parking overnight don't really know what the traveling public sees. I for one, when traveling where all I want is a place to park my trailer and go to sleep for few hours don't see where I gain anything by paying $50+ for 5 or 6 hours sleep. If a Walmart parking lot isn't available by local ordnance then a truck stop will do. Do this effect the local economy, well maybe. When I stay in a Walmart parking lot I spend a few dollars in Walmart. If can't stay in that parking lot, I'll spend a lot less at a truck stop. I'll also remember the town and drive right on through the next time. If the town/city doesn't want my dollars the next one down the road does.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #74

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The Wal-Mart corporate policy to allow RV parking stills exists, but it also states that it is subject to local managers discretion, existing rules from the property owner, as well as local ordnances.

The latter two seem to be the major issues.
That last one is most important!!If they have tanks or patrols with shoulder mounted rocket launchers, we move on!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #75
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I don't bother with campgrounds when all I want is 6-7 hours sleep when on the road. Walmarts or similar work fine for me -point is not to save money but to save time and hassle when enroute to a new adventure.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #76

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That last one is most important!!If they have tanks or patrols with shoulder mounted rocket launchers, we move on!
I thought that those things were typical of most city police departments.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #77

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I thought that those things were typical of most city police departments.
Around here, "ordnance", for the local police, means a shotgun on the dash and a side arm...and our neighborhood is so rough that even the flowers carry pistils!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #78

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I carry a walking stick to beat off the deer.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #79
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
A few years ago a customer of mine moved from Windsor to Toronto he hired me to do some work in his new house in a massive subdivision.i thought it would be a good chance for a weekend getaway . I planned to use his driveway to park the trailer and stay in the trailer . My customer gave me the postlal code and I would just put it in the gps find my way there . I left late on a Friday night and my customer was going to arrive early Saturday morning.to unlock the house. I got into Toronto around 11pm gps took me right to the postal address I pulled into the empty driveway proceeded to hook up the water and power from the house to my trailer and turned in for the night. About 4am in the morning I heard a car pull in the driveway and park next to me must be my customer pulling in early and of course they don't want to bother me and go in the house all is fine. Wake up about 9am have my coffee get ready to work and go knock on the door after a few moments the door opens and a lady says can I help you . Are you kidding it's not my customer ,it's not even the right house thanks to putting 1 wrong number into the gps I asked her why she did not kick me out in the middle of the night and she said she did not want to disturb me. I think our trailers are just not that intimadating
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #80

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
funny story….
Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #81

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
In a small town just find the police station and ask if you can stay in their parking lot or on the street by the station. They figure since you ask you are probably not a criminal from out of town plus the real criminals are not too likely to bother you.

I have occasionally stayed at all night convenience store gas stations. I just ask the third shift clerk if it is ok if I sleep in my trailer for a little while. They never say no. Overnight clerks have a frightening job. If they are going to get rolled it is going to be when there are no customers. I believe it is reassuring for them to have a non threatening customer on the lot even if he is asleep. It is not reassuring for criminals to have a potential witness.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #82

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
On the other hand, if all night convenience stores are more likely targets, as you suggest, I would try to avoid being at the scene of a crime. Has anyone ever asked to park at a hotel or motel overnight parking lot, without incurring a fee?