Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Our kids have been "camper shopping" for a while. Their main issue is all the bears! They would like to have room for them and their two boys to sleep. SIL is quite tall. That pretty much limits them to a Wide Body which are few and far between and command a premium. It will be a long hunt.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I'm not sure I agree with that most people camping are families, maybe on summer week-ends, but certainly not among the snow bird set and where we camp.
I wonder if it's advisable for families to spend the kind of money to get a large RV and have it sit most of time with maybe one week-end every other year. (I believe that closer to typical). It might be a good idea to rent for kind of usage.

Molder Fiberglass trailers are not necessarily designed for large families. There's lots of tents and mammoth RV out there.
As for wild animals there's very few places where you might see a large predator, and most molded fiberglass trailers would be nothing for a bear to enter. Bears have been known to pop off the read door of a minivan. You trailer door will pop off much easier.
If you're afraid of predators you might be better off in a motel.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
the wild animals in motels are the bed bugs....
Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
the wild animals in motels are the bed bugs....
agreed
Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I've seen some pictures of trailers in the 16'-17' range (overall length), mostly decades-old trailers, that could sleep 6 or 8 people. They did it by having fold-out bunks above the lower dinette, bed, or whatever. When I was growing up, our folks had a 22' Winnebago motor home with this feature. The upper bunks were double-bed size; the bed platform consisted of 2 pieces hinged in the middle that folded up against the end of the trailer with the (admittedly thin) mattress folded up behind it. The platform was then supported by some wooden rails or ridges on either end (the sides of the trailer).

Looking at the Escape 17 plan A layout, for example, such bunks would enable the trailer to sleep 8 people. Or 6 in the plan B. The downside is the loss of cupboard space for storage. The other factor is, maybe the shell would have to be somewhat higher in order to accommodate the vertical space requirements. But what I'm saying is, such a design should be possible... if a mfr saw enough of a market for it.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #20

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Mr. Lynn I am right with you on this. I have been looking for something just a bit larger, with no slides. The only thing I can come up with is the Bigfoot 25 and the Airstream 25 (between the two much prefer the Airstream floor plan) or the Airstream 27. The Oliver and Escape just do not have the floor plan I want.

Lance has a slide, so that is a no go. Big Foot seems to have problems with support from the Mfg. So that just leaves Airstream.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #21

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Mr Lynn and all,

Great post and interesting thread. I agree. I would like to see more in the egg camper world for families and/or grandparents with grandkids. Our Casita 17' FD (swivel chairs) is perfect for us as empty nesters, but I wonder about grandkids someday. I know camping families with stickies around 18' to 23' that have have a permanent bed, dry bath, dinette for four, and two bunks. Nice package for 4 to 6. I hear Parkliner is coming out with a 20' trailer. It will be interesting to see their floorplan.

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

One difference with smaller molded fiberglass is the lack of wall framing to support bunks. Not insurmountable, but requires some thought and investment.

It's possible to outfit a Scamp bumper pull to sleep 5 and a Casita to sleep 6. The fact that so few are sold in those configurations is a disincentive for manufacturers to invest in family-friendly designs.

OTOH, there are two threads currently going by members planning to order Scamp's 5-sleeper.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #23

Name: Henry
Tennessee
Well, as many have said, if Casita would design a stretched body, with twin beds, a bench table for 4 and a sofa, it would be mine. Oh, and a decent bathroom.

And no, Oliver is not to my liking: Went to the factory and saw them being built. Prefer the single wall construction of the Casita. The marginal utility is not sufficient to explain the additional cost.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I know many empty nest , retired couples that wouldn't take a FG trailer if you gave it to them . FG trailers are small and lack a lot of amenities that people want. No single type of trailer satisfies everyone and we should respect other's choices.
We have looked at upsizing from our 17 ft Casita but there is no FG trailer made that is larger and still reasonably priced with comparable quality.
FG trailers are a small niche market and will stay that way until they join the 21st century. I am not going to hold my breath hoping that something changes .

I have 11 grandkids and a tent is not an option.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Curious, Steve... What's in the 21st century RV-wise you feel molded fiberglass manufacturers should emulate?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #26

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Curious, Steve... What's in the 21st century RV-wise you feel molded fiberglass manufacturers should emulate?
For example the door opening in both my Casita and Scamp looked like they were cut out using a hatchet.
I wired a fiber glass plumbing fixture .plant and all the cut outs in the fixtures were cut out with the part clamped up using a computer controlled router.
I also worked at a Ford assembly plant and saw how modern manufacturing was done . I've also been to Scamp and Casita and the manufacturing process looked like the 1950's
Plus most modern manufacturing plants employ REAL engineers
and trained quality control people. It's obvious that FG trailer manufacturers employ neither based on the defects present in my FG trailer.
It's the close enough is good enough philosophy, similar to horseshoes and hand grenades !!.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #27
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
A few years ago, FiberglassRV.com member, Thane started a thread/discussion called Family Friendly Floor Plans. Maybe there are some ideas there that are still useful?
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Performance Sports Cars

Performance sports cars don't have room for families that's why they make mini vans and station wagons. The more you start outsizing the product the more you lose in performance.