Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #61

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
It must be where I live. I mean yeah, I see plenty of R-Pod style trailers too, but a LOT of what I see getting pulled down the highway are the kind of 5th wheel campers whose bunk, "upstairs" area is roughly the size of my entire trailer. They sit easily 5' higher than the roof of the tow vehicle. Tons of them around here. Many named "Montana", to my annoyance. Guess everything's gotta be huge around here.
We have taken to calling the Montana fifth-wheels and similar units "Cumulo-trailers" for the way they loom up over the distant horizon as they approach. While they certainly work for some folks, they aren't our style as I prefer driving a much smaller package on the road. Not that it's particularly relevant to this discussion, I think I would rather go with a diesel bus conversion towing a mini before having that much trailer. But, to each their own.

Cumulonimbus, from the Latin cumulus and nimbus, is a dense towering vertical cloud associated with thunderstorms and atmospheric instability, forming from water vapor carried by powerful upward air currents.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #62

Name: J
Trailer: Shopping puck or scamp
Massachusetts
We just want to travel without mechanical issues. Empty nesters!

Eriba importing puck or familia.
Kool. Classics in UK or automotive leisure.
Love options quality price of these German manufactured units.
J Selleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #63

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
Quote:
I understand the desire for more space, and I'm sorry to use your thread for my rant, because I get it, but as I drive around on US roads and see the massive size of current RVs, I think it's time to step back and think about what we "need".

When my Mom and brother and I made our yearly trip from upstate NY to Virginia Beach in the summer, we'd load into her VW Rabbit and start driving. One night sleeping in the car in a fast food parking lot near DC, then a long weekend in a tent at a KOA.

We'd stay at campgrounds in the Adirondacks, along with families of 5+, and rarely saw an RV.

Now I have friends who have one child and so have come to the conclusion that "we need a camper" to camp. And when they have their second child, then "need" a 22' camper instead of a 20'.

I go to southern Utah and rarely see a tent anymore. Everyone has an RV, sometimes one guy in a 20+' camper. Not sure what's going on..

If someone needs space for all humans to sleep and hang out comfortably inside...they need a hotel room. That's not camping. Why tow all that space behind you? Larger truck, more money more gas more everything. If everyone needs inside space, VRBO or hotel.

Having said all that...I get it. And yeah, 25' Bigfoot or a non-molded fiberglass trailer is the way to go.

I know what you mean. I camped from age 7 to 57, then switched to pop-up trailer and now a 17 ft Bigfoot. By "camping" I mean sleep on the ground and cook and eat outside. Anything else is RVing. Even a 13 ft MFG is no longer camping. And I agree about using a hotel; we do that now and then too. Still tent now and then, whatever is the appropriate technology for the given road trip.
Worto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #64

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We like to RV or "camp" in remote places, most such areas do not have motels or cabins close by. Also not a good idea to tent camp with Grizzles or really even Black bear. Sometimes we have 4, or even 6 people with us, for short periods of time. We also have a difficult time in high wind and rain areas. So for the two of us, the Casita is acceptable, but for four, not so much.

We have looked at stick built trailers, Class C and Older Class A, and now Airstream. Airstream has the floor plan we would like. So when I win the lottery....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #65

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I get what you're saying, but as I'm sure you know, thousands of people camp every summer in black and grizzly bear country, in tents and sleeping under the stars, myself included.

Campers are sort of like airbags. We all did without them for...ever. Now we're afraid to drive cars without them. Except that airbags save lives. Not sure you can say the same for campers. As was already pointed out, if a bear wants in, it's going to get in. More of a false sense of security going on there.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #66

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but as I'm sure you know, thousands of people camp every summer in black and grizzly bear country, in tents and sleeping under the stars, myself included.

Campers are sort of like airbags. We all did without them for...ever. Now we're afraid to drive cars without them. Except that airbags save lives. Not sure you can say the same for campers. As was already pointed out, if a bear wants in, it's going to get in. More of a false sense of security going on there.
Takata has filed bankruptcy and federal law prohibits reporting non defective airbag deaths estimated to be 1 to 3 thousand per year.
Trust only Securefoam!!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #67

Name: erobb
Trailer: montana
California
so, none of the fiberglass TT offer a slide-out?
erobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #68

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by erobb View Post
None to my knowledge at this time. They sell without em!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #69

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erobb View Post
You don't want one; they leak.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #70

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

So do windows, but I absolutely want some of those in a trailer.

Slides add space but require maintenance. Don't care for them myself due to weight, maintenance, and aesthetics, but clearly many find the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Thinking one reason molded trailers don't have slides is they lack structural framework in the walls to support them. Northern Lite did offer a hybrid-style slide out bed on a small molded trailer. It used external supports that attached to the tongue like a tent trailer, I believe.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #71

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
So do windows, but I absolutely want some of those in a trailer.
Hey, mine don't (so far).

Even the salesmen admit the sliders leak.

One of the stickies we looked at had a slide-out kitchen. So you had water and propane pipes running into a room that slid in and out. No doubt the technology exists to make those lines safe and secure, and no doubt they used flexible pipes, but would you trust the slap-em-together-and-ship-em-out RV manufacturers to manage the kind of reliability required?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #72

Arizona
Registry
Neither do my windows (yet), but my point was simply that every RV feature adds utility and carries a cost in routine maintenance and risk of failure. It's an individual call whether the benefits of a particular feature (like a window or a slide) outweigh the negatives.

It's unfortunate when buyers fall under the rosy spell of RV sales people and go for all the bells and whistles without thought to the maintenance/repair required. To some extent it's a failure on the buyer's part to do their homework.

My mother owned a Class C with a dinette slide. Stored outside uncovered, and no leaks or issues with the slide in about 10 years of ownership.

Hate 'em (slides) myself, but then, I choose not to have a bathroom in my trailer, either, because I don't want to deal with the associated maintenance and repair.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #73

Arizona
Registry
Getting back on topic, here is a family-friendly Escape 17B with the rare front bunk option.

2010 Escape 17B
Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #74

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post

/Mr Lynn
I assume you are only speaking for yourself.?
Slide outs have there pro's and con's but if I avoided every trailer or trailer ammenity that has a possibility / potential of leaking , I would be left without a trailer.
Looking at this forum and reading about the issues with leaking windows , roof fans , doors , A/C's , belly bands , stove fan vents ETC, ETC ,ETC maybe we should noy be casting stones.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #75

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post

/Mr Lynn
Slide outs have there pro's and con's but if I avoided every trailer or trailer ammenity that has a possibility / potential of leaking , I would be left without a trailer.
Looking at this forum and reading about the issues with leaking windows , rivets, roof fans , doors , A/C's , belly bands , stove fan vents , rotted floors , ETC, ETC ,ETC maybe we should not be casting stones.
FG trailers are hardly trouble free !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #76

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Looking at this forum and reading about the issues with leaking windows , rivets, roof fans , doors , A/C's , belly bands , stove fan vents , rotted floors , ETC, ETC ,ETC maybe we should not be casting stones.
FG trailers are hardly trouble free !!
You can say that again!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #77

Arizona
Registry
And another very family-friendly molded trailer just turned up. Between the big back bed and the bunks, you could easily sleep 5-6 in this one, especially if some are smaller kids.

1997 Casita 16 Liberty Standard

They're out there if you're looking.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #78

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
I understand the desire for more space, and I'm sorry to use your thread for my rant, because I get it, but as I drive around on US roads and see the massive size of current RVs, I think it's time to step back and think about what we "need".

When my Mom and brother and I made our yearly trip from upstate NY to Virginia Beach in the summer, we'd load into her VW Rabbit and start driving. One night sleeping in the car in a fast food parking lot near DC, then a long weekend in a tent at a KOA.

We'd stay at campgrounds in the Adirondacks, along with families of 5+, and rarely saw an RV.

Now I have friends who have one child and so have come to the conclusion that "we need a camper" to camp. And when they have their second child, then "need" a 22' camper instead of a 20'.

I go to southern Utah and rarely see a tent anymore. Everyone has an RV, sometimes one guy in a 20+' camper. Not sure what's going on..

If someone needs space for all humans to sleep and hang out comfortably inside...they need a hotel room. That's not camping. Why tow all that space behind you? Larger truck, more money more gas more everything. If everyone needs inside space, VRBO or hotel.

Having said all that...I get it. And yeah, 25' Bigfoot or a non-molded fiberglass trailer is the way to go.
The Pascowitz Family raised 9 children in this truck-bed camper, though I don't think any of them would recommend it.

Surfwise (2007)
TV: 2013 Subaru Forester
Jennifer in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #79

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Maybe I missed it but no one mentioned the Scamp 19'. It sleeps 6. It has a queen sized bed, a dinette that converts to a double and bunks.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/19-standard-trailers.html#!image_04[/URL]
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #80

Arizona
Registry
I can't speak for others, but I didn't mention it because you have to have an open bed truck to tow it. With only 5 seats tops and no enclosed cargo space (when the seats are full), a pickup doesn't qualify as a family-friendly tow vehicle in my book.