Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #57

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Width absolutely makes a difference. Bigfoot is not only 8' wide, but also doesn't taper like the egg-shaped fiberglass campers, so you get full use of all that 8'. I spend a lot of time in my camper during early spring and late fall, so at times I'm inside quite a bit. Even with just me and the dog, that space makes a huge difference. In any of the egg campers, a dog on the floor is taking up basically all the floor space. You can't really move around without being in the way.
Yep, when we have our old dog Ali with us, those nighttime trips to the other end of the Casita require gingerly trying to tiptoe around the dark shape on the floor, illuminated only by my green battery-status meter. Even an extra 6" would be a boon!

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #58

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I hope you are referring to the room
No, just the Benedryl, which was declined.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #59

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2012 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
My wife Jane and I are like the majority, I think, of the folks on this forum: older, empty-nesters, comfortable traveling and camping with just the two of us. For us the MFG (Molded FiberGlass) trailers seem well-suited, which is why we ended up with a Casita last year (see my essay on "The Molded Fiberglass Obsession," linked in my signature).

But there are times when even we might like something larger. When we started looking last spring, I heard from a fellow in New Hampshire who had just sold his Casita and was buying a Lance (a well-regarded stick-built trailer), because, he said, "We can take our grandkids with us."

Members of this Forum often lament how few MFG 'eggs' they see in on their travels. In point of fact, most of the folks you see at campgrounds are families, with kids. And when you think about it, few of the MFGs are large enough for them. The therapist at the Physical Therapy place I was going to recently (for an as-yet-unresolved plantar fasciitis) has three young children, and they like to camp at a state park in Central Massachusetts. They have a pop-out trailer, with canvas-covered wings that open into bedrooms, probably a Jayco. There is no way they could have as much space in the MFGs, even the substantial BigFoots or Escapes, both of which would cost a lot more, too.

Now I know that the mechanics of molding fiberglass-trailer shells militate against larger sizes. But surely the technique is more scalable, at modest cost, than has been attempted so far. And the 'stickies' are so notorious for leaking, disintegration, and poor resale value that you would think there would be a natural market for a line of MFGs aimed at families.

Our daughter and husband have a vintage 1963 Avion, an aluminum-clad imitator of the Airstream, overall length c. 24', which when they bought it needed a lot of work. They took out the bathroom and installed bunks for their three boys. This trailer is not huge, but it's 8' wide. We had our whole family at three campsites in Mass. recently, and during an afternoon of violent thunderstorms, all of us piled into the Avion (five adults and seven kids). It was crowded, but possible; we could not have gotten that mob into our Casita.

This led me to wonder whether, down the road, if we wanted to take any of our grandkids on a camping trip, a Lance or some other stickie might be in our future, too. Or is there a boat manufacturer just itchin' to get into the MFG trailer business with something for families?

/Mr Lynn
Because of this my wife and I sold our Casita and bought an Escape Trailer 5.0 TA. A 21 foot 5th wheel fiberglass camper that will sleep at least 4; maybemore. And has already been mentioned, bring a tent for the overflow.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #60

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Well, I'm reminded that a 13' Scamp, without bath, sleeps 4. That's room enough for grandparents and two grandkids.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #61

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
It must be where I live. I mean yeah, I see plenty of R-Pod style trailers too, but a LOT of what I see getting pulled down the highway are the kind of 5th wheel campers whose bunk, "upstairs" area is roughly the size of my entire trailer. They sit easily 5' higher than the roof of the tow vehicle. Tons of them around here. Many named "Montana", to my annoyance. Guess everything's gotta be huge around here.
We have taken to calling the Montana fifth-wheels and similar units "Cumulo-trailers" for the way they loom up over the distant horizon as they approach. While they certainly work for some folks, they aren't our style as I prefer driving a much smaller package on the road. Not that it's particularly relevant to this discussion, I think I would rather go with a diesel bus conversion towing a mini before having that much trailer. But, to each their own.

Cumulonimbus, from the Latin cumulus and nimbus, is a dense towering vertical cloud associated with thunderstorms and atmospheric instability, forming from water vapor carried by powerful upward air currents.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #62

Name: J
Trailer: Shopping puck or scamp
Massachusetts
We just want to travel without mechanical issues. Empty nesters!

Eriba importing puck or familia.
Kool. Classics in UK or automotive leisure.
Love options quality price of these German manufactured units.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #63

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
Quote:
I understand the desire for more space, and I'm sorry to use your thread for my rant, because I get it, but as I drive around on US roads and see the massive size of current RVs, I think it's time to step back and think about what we "need".

When my Mom and brother and I made our yearly trip from upstate NY to Virginia Beach in the summer, we'd load into her VW Rabbit and start driving. One night sleeping in the car in a fast food parking lot near DC, then a long weekend in a tent at a KOA.

We'd stay at campgrounds in the Adirondacks, along with families of 5+, and rarely saw an RV.

Now I have friends who have one child and so have come to the conclusion that "we need a camper" to camp. And when they have their second child, then "need" a 22' camper instead of a 20'.

I go to southern Utah and rarely see a tent anymore. Everyone has an RV, sometimes one guy in a 20+' camper. Not sure what's going on..

If someone needs space for all humans to sleep and hang out comfortably inside...they need a hotel room. That's not camping. Why tow all that space behind you? Larger truck, more money more gas more everything. If everyone needs inside space, VRBO or hotel.

Having said all that...I get it. And yeah, 25' Bigfoot or a non-molded fiberglass trailer is the way to go.

I know what you mean. I camped from age 7 to 57, then switched to pop-up trailer and now a 17 ft Bigfoot. By "camping" I mean sleep on the ground and cook and eat outside. Anything else is RVing. Even a 13 ft MFG is no longer camping. And I agree about using a hotel; we do that now and then too. Still tent now and then, whatever is the appropriate technology for the given road trip.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #64

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
We like to RV or "camp" in remote places, most such areas do not have motels or cabins close by. Also not a good idea to tent camp with Grizzles or really even Black bear. Sometimes we have 4, or even 6 people with us, for short periods of time. We also have a difficult time in high wind and rain areas. So for the two of us, the Casita is acceptable, but for four, not so much.

We have looked at stick built trailers, Class C and Older Class A, and now Airstream. Airstream has the floor plan we would like. So when I win the lottery....
Old 07-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #65

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I get what you're saying, but as I'm sure you know, thousands of people camp every summer in black and grizzly bear country, in tents and sleeping under the stars, myself included.

Campers are sort of like airbags. We all did without them for...ever. Now we're afraid to drive cars without them. Except that airbags save lives. Not sure you can say the same for campers. As was already pointed out, if a bear wants in, it's going to get in. More of a false sense of security going on there.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #66

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but as I'm sure you know, thousands of people camp every summer in black and grizzly bear country, in tents and sleeping under the stars, myself included.

Campers are sort of like airbags. We all did without them for...ever. Now we're afraid to drive cars without them. Except that airbags save lives. Not sure you can say the same for campers. As was already pointed out, if a bear wants in, it's going to get in. More of a false sense of security going on there.
Takata has filed bankruptcy and federal law prohibits reporting non defective airbag deaths estimated to be 1 to 3 thousand per year.
Trust only Securefoam!!

Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #67

Name: erobb
Trailer: montana
California
so, none of the fiberglass TT offer a slide-out?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #68

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by erobb View Post
None to my knowledge at this time. They sell without em!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #69

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erobb View Post
You don't want one; they leak.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #70

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

So do windows, but I absolutely want some of those in a trailer.

Slides add space but require maintenance. Don't care for them myself due to weight, maintenance, and aesthetics, but clearly many find the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Thinking one reason molded trailers don't have slides is they lack structural framework in the walls to support them. Northern Lite did offer a hybrid-style slide out bed on a small molded trailer. It used external supports that attached to the tongue like a tent trailer, I believe.