Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #81

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
These aren't your daddy's pickup trucks

There is an inspiring YouTube channel I recommend called Keep Your Daydreams where a family of 5, with 3 teenagers has fulltime RV'd for over a year in a full crew cab Ford F150. Cadillac has sold pickups for years, and Mercedes sells them abroad. I don't know why today's pickups from Tacomas up, wouldn't qualify as a suitable tow vehicles in every aspect.

That Buick? I'm not sure my family should have ever towed with it when I was young. It created some great memories.

As for trailer size. I have shifted from lusting for 5th wheels, to now fiberglass eggs. As someone else said, "It is a matter of living out of your trailer, not in it." Four or five people is near tops for most fiberglass. It is also tops for most, not all families. Enjoy.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #82
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
It must be where I live. I mean yeah, I see plenty of R-Pod style trailers too, but a LOT of what I see getting pulled down the highway are the kind of 5th wheel campers whose bunk, "upstairs" area is roughly the size of my entire trailer. They sit easily 5' higher than the roof of the tow vehicle. Tons of them around here. Many named "Montana", to my annoyance. Guess everything's gotta be huge around here.
I have to agree with you Zach. I'm in the SE and when we would go camping in our 13' T@B, we would always seem to be surrounded by these huge 3 axle monstrosities and a lot of them called Montana. When we went to our local RV show, there was nothing smaller than 20' other than popup campers. We were looking for something smaller and tucked way in the back corner of the show was the Lil Snoozy. That was our first introduction to the world of Fiberglass campers. We couldn't get one at the time as our TV probably couldn't have pulled it weight-wise. That was 6 years ago. We have since upgraded our TV and are now waiting patiently for our Snoozy.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #83

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
...I don't know why today's pickups from Tacomas up, wouldn't qualify as a suitable tow vehicles in every aspect.

That Buick? I'm not sure my family should have ever towed with it when I was young...
Agree. Modern pick-ups make great tow vehicles. But they have some limitations as family vehicles: size, fuel economy, cost, seating capacity (our kids have friends), cargo space (some things just don't belong in an open cargo bed),... Towing is only one task among many we ask of our primary family vehicle.

I have looked at crew cab trucks. Back seats of all but the "mega-cab" variety are more cramped than our Pilot and lack recline for long trips. Where would my kids put their activity bags they bring on long trips? Where would we put the small cooler we carry inside the vehicle for snacks en route? Where do grandma and grandpa ride when we visit? Where would the dog kennel go? Where would I park it?...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	110190
(BTW, you can just see the back end of my brown Pilot peeping out over the bed of that oversized blue crew cab pickup...)

Let's not even talk about the back seat of a Tacoma for a family!

On the flip side, modern minivans and crossovers are not your father's Buick, either.

Name:   Buick.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  8.5 KB
(Towing rating 4500 pounds, properly equipped.)
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #84

Denver, CO
I didn't intend to engage in a peeing contest.

Who was talking about Tacomas as "family" tow vehicles? Not me, Jon. I did mention "Full" crew cab F150s as suitable and provided a real life example of a family of five.

Jon, I didn't intend to offend you, and I apologize if I did. I only wanted to support the many who choose trucks as tow vehicles. From Tacomas on up.

Your little digs about Tacoma's back seats and modern Buicks were uncalled for. Same for the photos of pickups parked. We have plenty of empty nest families represented here who love towing trailers that sleep two with Tacomas. The Front wheel drive Buick Enclave is not my father's Buick. It will tow up to 4,500 pounds max. That is likely reduced with a seven passenger load, a cooler, and dog in a crate. But if it works, Great!

I have never owned a pickup.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #85

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
FWIW -

As I have mentioned in other threads, our new Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A, with
a 54" main bed and a no-cost change to specifying a front sofa/bunk-beds in place of the normally installed front dinette , will easily sleep 2 adults and a
couple of kids/grandkids and also includes a bathroom, a closet, a large
refrigerator with freezer, 2-burner propane stove, more counter space, and a
sink with running water via a city water connection or a 12v demand-pump.
(If they sleep head to toe in some beds/bunks, it could actually sleep more
than 2 adults and 2 kids.)

We also have and use a CLAM screen room for additional bug-free outdoor
space and, from past years camping, a fairly large regular tent.

With both of their parents working, we have found that our grandkids often
have available time and interest in camping adventures during their school's
summertime recesses.

Scamp doesn't advertise the swap of front sofa/bunk-beds in a Scamp 16
Deluxe Layout A, but they are happy to do it if you know about it and ask.
(Wayne Pitlick was our Scamp salesman for both our Scamp13 Big-Bed and
our new 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A with sofa/bunk-beds.)

As I said FWIW and just FYI.

Best of luck and safe travels to all!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #86

Arizona
Registry
I recently saw the bunks in a late model Scamp 19D, too. It had a side bath and front bunks like the 19S. That surprised me because normally all 19Ds have the front bath set-up. This represents a pretty significant change in terms of plumbing and wiring, as well as cabinetry.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-81397.html

Name:	Scamp 19.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	110223
Old 08-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #87

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Your little digs about Tacoma's back seats and modern Buicks were uncalled for. Same for the photos of pickups parked...
If a "dig" is a criticism, I plead guilty on two out of three. Yes, I think the rear seat of a Tacoma is pretty small, more for occasional use. Yes, I have a problem with oversized trucks that block traffic. No, I have no beef with Buicks, modern or vintage. I presented the Enclave as an example of a modern family vehicle that also doubles as a competent tow vehicle, since you implied that your family Buick of yore was somewhat sketchy as a tow vehicle. I agree that you probably wouldn't want to have seven people, a cooler, a dog, and a 4500 pound trailer all on board at once!

I'll also confess I find irony in a couple of things. First, Scamp sells a trailer that sleeps 6 but cannot be pulled by vehicles that seat 6. Second, more than 3/4 of the posts in a thread about "Fiberglass RV's for Families" are by empty nesters.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #88

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Totally hear you

Just chiming in to say from your mouths to the manufacturer's ears. I have kids. I'm a few decades from retirement. I live in Chicago with a small lot. And I never plan to own a giant SUV. But I am determined to find a fiberglass trailer that will work for us. There are some strong contenders, but no perfect fit. If a Scamp and an InTech Flyer Max + had a baby, that might be the ticket.
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #89

Denver, CO
Ray Dickens,
Good for you. It sounds like you are creating wonderful memories for your grandkids, while exposing them to outdoor life. They are likely to remember you fondly long after you are gone and they are taking their own grandkids camping in your 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe, which by then will be worth a quarter of a million.
Enjoy!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #90

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I have never owned a pickup.
You have my deepest sympathies but there is still time to rectify the situation.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #91

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Sez Jon--
Quote:
. . . I'll also confess I find irony in a couple of things. First, Scamp sells a trailer that sleeps 6 but cannot be pulled by vehicles that seat 6. Second, more than 3/4 of the posts in a thread about "Fiberglass RV's for Families" are by empty nesters.
As for the first, it's even more ironic that the giant 'Montana' fifth-wheels, which conceivably could sleep a battalion, require a truck that can't seat 6, too.

As for the second, it's not surprising that most of the respondents here are empty-nesters. Most family campers in my experience are using tents, or hybrid campers (trailers with canvas pop-outs at each end—inexpensive, easily sleep six, and easy to pull) so they're not reading this forum.

Naomi: I had to look up inTech. Interesting, little aluminum-frame campers, somewhere between a teardrop and a fiberglass egg. Pull-out kitchen is teardroppy; what do you do if it's windy and rainy? They do make a partial hybrid, with an extra bed, though: how many kids?

I could imagine a Casita or Scamp hybrid, where the belly band separated and the top half rose up on hydraulic lifters to allow two canvas-covered beds to emerge left and right. That would be a sight to see! But I wouldn't expect one any time soon. A Jumbo Egg, maybe about 22' long and 8' wide (about the size of my daughter's 1963 Avion), is more feasible, and would probably do for many families. Question is: Could the MFG builders make one for less than the cost of a 21' BigFoot? Would have to be a lot less, if they wanted to compete with the hybrid stickies.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #92

Arizona
Registry
There is (or was) the Northern Lite, molded fiberglass and available with or without the pop-out bed.

Name:	<a title=Northern Lite.jpg Views: 23 Size: 103.2 KB ID: 110229" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 AM   #93

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

Full time with two kids and two dogs in a Bigfoot B17.

It can be done and done well. We have learned to live with less and enjoy having less. We spend less time dealing with stuff and a lot more time having fun now.

Now I will say depending on how we lay out the travel I set up differently as it does take time to get us moving in the mornings and I have to be realistic about what we can unpack. I don't put down the bunk on days we are doing one night or have to get on the road early to save time so that means we give up the table inside for breakfast. But I can sleep 5 regular size people and six if two are small people. I don't think I would want two adult/teen size in the bunk.

I have a FJ cruiser to tug but I would like to get an Armada to have extra space when we are visiting with people and more comfortable space for longer tow days.

Name:   IMG_1733.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  22.6 KB

If we ever just sit down for the winter over I would probably want more space. But I would not trade my rig for the world. We have been all kinds of places big rigs just can't go. And oh the things we have seen because we are small and don't have stuff to tend to.

I have been in lots of big setups this summer and I don't envy what they haul around. Bigger is not better unless it's a Bigfoot in my opinion.
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #94

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If a "dig" is a criticism, I plead guilty on two out of three. Yes, I think the rear seat of a Tacoma is pretty small, more for occasional use. Yes, I have a problem with oversized trucks that block traffic. No, I have no beef with Buicks, modern or vintage. I presented the Enclave as an example of a modern family vehicle that also doubles as a competent tow vehicle, since you implied that your family Buick of yore was somewhat sketchy as a tow vehicle. I agree that you probably wouldn't want to have seven people, a cooler, a dog, and a 4500 pound trailer all on board at once!

I'll also confess I find irony in a couple of things. First, Scamp sells a trailer that sleeps 6 but cannot be pulled by vehicles that seat 6. Second, more than 3/4 of the posts in a thread about "Fiberglass RV's for Families" are by empty nesters.
I know for a fact that the Ram 2500 / 3500 crew cab comes with two full size bench seats that seat 6 ( NO Center Console)
I have ridden in one with 5 other adults on numerous occasions

1) Yes the Tacoma back seat is really small , more like a shelf for grocery bags.
2) I have a full size quad cab truck and I have NEVER blocked traffic. When we go shopping we park in the back of the parking lot away from other vehicles not in the short spaces right next to the door.
Not every truck owner is inconsiderate.
3) Buick builds a great vehicle.

We maybe empty nester now but just a short time ago we raised 5 children so we do understand camping with kids.
We also have 11 grandchildren who we take camping with us on many occasions ( Took 4 of them camping 2 weeks ago)
Just because one is older and retired doesn't mean our posts are irrelevant !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #95

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We maybe empty nester now but just a short time ago we raised 5 children so we do understand camping with kids.
We also have 11 grandchildren who we take camping with us on many occasions ( Took 4 of them camping 2 weeks ago)
Just because one is older and retired doesn't mean our posts are irrelevant !!
No one said your posts were irrelevant (nor mine, I hope—we're ENs too).

I assume the four grandkids slept in a tent. Would have been crowded in the Casita!

/Mr Lynn

PS We were out your way (to Madison, anyway) in May. Took the train, though. I'm torn between the desire to use our Casita and taking more rail journeys.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #96

Arizona
Registry
I didn't mean to suggest the comments of empty-nesters are irrelevant. I'm aware I'm vastly outnumbered on that front. But it's clear to me at least empty-nesters (with or without grandkids) have different needs and perspectives than families.

Steve, you're right- there are a few larger pickups that still have 3+3 seating. Tundra is another, at least it was a few years ago, but I doubt many families would consider that a workable transportation arrangement for everyday use. I have thought about it a lot. A Scamp 19 would be really nice for the extra space, and especially a bigger bed for my wife and I, but there is nothing I could pull it with that would make practical family transportation during the 350 days a year or so we are not camping. It's a bumper pull or nothing for us.

For our family needs, I keep hoping Scamp will come out with a big bed version of their 16' standard side bath, front bunk layout. I think it more likely I will join the ranks of the empty-nesters before that happens.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #97

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Jon! Yes, exactly that! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one of those babies now. Too bad the Northern Lite factory suffered that fire, or my dream might be closer to reality! Thanks for the pic!

And Mr. Lynn, in inclement weather I would assume we'd just cook in our screened shelter, like we do now as tent campers. I'd be interested in getting two tip out beds in the Flyer. They also have an option to access the cooler from the inside of the trailer. They just started making the smaller toy hauler/camper so I'll be keeping an eye on them as they iterate. I'm still at least a year out from purchase, so something might evolve. Another non-fiber non-sticky we're looking at is the Taxa Cricket. But my first preference is still molded fiber. Seems to be the smartest/lightest option out there.
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #98

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We're empty nesters, both retired, and for the first time in our long married life, down to one vehicle. We wanted one that would do everything. We bought an F-150 last year and are not looking back! This truck will haul 6 adults in comfort. In fact we've never owned a vehicle this comfortable for long distance hauling and traveling. We get 21-22 all-around mpg, 19-20 towing our Scamp and all our camping equipment. It's a 4X4 with electric locking differential, so it's great for hunting and other off road exploring. Towing capacity is 7,600 lbs! I've hauled everything from landscaping pavers to furniture (without a dent in the box, Chevy). We too park in the furthest spots when shopping. We noticed most of the vehicles out there are pick-ups BTW.

There's a reason Ford F-150's have been the best-selling vehicles in the U.S. since 1981 and the best selling trucks since 1977. Canada too. If anyone can name a more versatile vehicle, please do so!

Here she is at the 2016 Algonac Scrambled Egg Rally.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #99

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
I beg to differ on the ability of pick ups seating. My son goes camping with their family of six in their six seater RAM crew cab. My F150 seats six although tight in the back as it's a super cab. My truck with eco boost gets great mileage especially when not towing.

I like the comment of single people camping in a 20 foot plus. I happen to be camping by my self good thing my Escape is only 19-5!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #100

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
F-150

Our F-150 ready to roll...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0904.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote