Where can you Boondock? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #21

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
I think the point is that camping at a Walmart (and many other parking lots) is safe, legal, and a place to rest overnight when you're going from point A (home) to point B (insert favorite camping spot here). In many parts of the continent, hopping from one campground to the next isn't easy.

Gordon
I have chemical sensitivities and a few health issues, so fumes etc. might not be so good for me, but I think I could do it once in awhile.

Also, not sure where dogs would go to the bathroom in a Walmart lot!

What about hopping from one Natl Forest to the next?

Some Natl Recreational areas also allow boondocking.

Also would love some specific examples of good places throughout the country.

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Maybe boondockers could give examples of some specific places? I'm not very keen on camping at Walmart . . . what's the point?

Margaret
It's because you are not camping, in that sense of the word. These types of parking lot places are for overnight respite and are used to go between other places as Gordon mentioned.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:

Also, not sure where dogs would go to the bathroom in a Walmart lot!

Margaret
That's one reason we've never stayed at a Walmart or a Cracker Barrel, or a truck stop. We like being in a campground where we can go for a walk with the dog, take a shower, meet people, etc. A parking lot doesn't really do it for us. Most places we stay are $20 or less. There are many apps, Allstays is one that comes to mind, that identify local town or county campgrounds that can be quite reasonable. While state parks are getting pricey, NFS and Army Corp campground can be a bargain aswell. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
"What about hopping from one Natl Forest to the next?"

Maybe you could, Margaret. Take a look at this map:
National Forest Locator Map

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #25

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Wal-mart boondocking

We have been on the road for 3 weeks now, traveling from Michigan to Vancouver, BC. Over half the nights were spent in Wal-mart parking lots. Of course you don't want to do it every night. But this makes it possible for us to be gone so long. National Park, National Forest and 1 private campground along with friends and relatives made it all possible and we're not done yet. 15 days to go. I just read on this about the Cracker Barrels. Hooray! Another choice. We don't stop until evening. We can go into Wal-mart, get a $5.00 deli chicken and have a hot meal with a cold beer before crashing. We feel very lucky to be having this adventure!
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
"What about hopping from one Natl Forest to the next?"

Maybe you could, Margaret. Take a look at this map:
National Forest Locator Map

Gordon
A lot of the times SP and NF are way off the beaten pass, which makes it harder, more time to get from point A to B. The big box stores are mostly on your way, right off your route. carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
A lot of the times SP and NF are way off the beaten pass, which makes it harder, more time to get from point A to B. The big box stores are mostly on your way, right off your route. carl
It might be worth it; I don't know, having never done it (at least yet).

Margaret
Old 06-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
Unfortunately all the free campsites are all about 2hrs+ from me so it doesn't make sense to drive that far and use more gas to get a free site. When we go out west in the future I'll hope we have more luck.

We were also planning to go out east to the New England states, is free camping just as scarce out there? There is so much unused land around here that it makes me wonder, unless more people willing to pay for sites around here?
here is a video about some free camping opportunities in Ohio
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #29

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Try www.Campendium.com for free camping sites.

Consider joining Harvest Hosts www.harvesthosts.com for about $40 per year. They list farms, wineries, ranches (alpaca) and special attractions all over the country where you can camp for "free" in your self-contained RV! All they ask is that you purchase something from the host.

Recently we camped 4 days at three different wineries in Lodi, CA (2 hours from our home). Local campgrounds charge $50-65 per night! We had a delightful time meeting the vintners, tasting wine and enjoying the beauty of the area. Most vintners and farmers have dogs, so yours most likely would be welcome.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Maybe boondockers could give examples of some specific places? I'm not very keen on camping at Walmart . . . what's the point?

Margaret
Camping and Overnighting are two different things with two different purposes...
While in transit,I'm not very keen on paying to park overnight, stopping late and leaving early. Walmart is excellent since they are usually close to the highway, have security cameras, movie rentals, hot food in the deli (supper and breakfast), fuel nearby,and all the supplies you are likely to need on a trip.Sometimes even WI-FI!
Save your lodging money for when you arrive at your destination.
Fact is we usually leave home in the evening and drive until late, which gives us a headstart on our "vacation".
My point was that if your budget is a little tight, overnighting can help you get better accommodations and better destination stays.

If you overnight one night outbound and one night on the return home and spend two nights at your weekend destination at $20 per night, then your trip average would be $10 per night.
Longer trips and longer stays... you do the math.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
That's one reason we've never stayed at a Walmart or a Cracker Barrel, or a truck stop. We like being in a campground where we can go for a walk with the dog, take a shower, meet people, etc. A parking lot doesn't really do it for us. Most places we stay are $20 or less. There are many apps, Allstays is one that comes to mind, that identify local town or county campgrounds that can be quite reasonable. While state parks are getting pricey, NFS and Army Corp campground can be a bargain aswell. Raz
You make good points.
We have a shower on board and no pets, and while to some, (not you or me of course), it may sound interesting to meet people in the shower, I'm sure the reality would never match one's sweet imagination.... everything looks worse in black&white...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:28 AM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
To quote my wife, it's the journey, not the destination. We don't mind wandering a bit to a COE park or a national park, that's all part of the adventure. We travel an a slow pace, trying to see more, not racing from location to location.

We've only stopped at a Walmarts once, just to try it. It works, but it's just not our style to beeline, of course we're retired.

Finally we always feel safe where ever we camp. Now if you read the paper and scour the news you'll find a rare event in a campground, they are extremely rare. Our Caravan to NL we had two members have rig problems where absolute total strangers helped them out.. Most people are nice, Ginny says so....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #33

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah I've skipped the forests and parks when I'm just passing through, pretty often. You can plan ahead, but if you just see a sign and follow it, you might be driving 30-45 minutes before you're to a camp site. That's 1 hour + off your highway. Depending on how you're traveling, that might be ok. For a lot people it's not.

There are almost always patches of grass around Walmart parking lots. The few times I've camped at one, that's where the dog goes to the bathroom.

You'll figure it out. Get out there and travel and you'll understand why people do what they do, and also find out what works and doesn't work for you. Everyone does it just a little differently.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #34

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
here is a video about some free camping opportunities in Ohio
Hey this is great. That's the kind of information that might be useful to people.

Margaret
Old 06-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We were on the road for over 90 days last year . Never camped / overnighted once at a Walmart . It just doesn't appeal to us. The cost of camping is an issue for us as it is for nearly everyone but even though it's free, Walmart is not our campgrounds,of choice.
Considering a nice motel room runs $80 to $140 a night , $25 for a nice campsite at a State or County Park does not seem unreasonable to me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #36

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Try www.Campendium.com for free camping sites.

Consider joining Harvest Hosts www.harvesthosts.com for about $40 per year. They list farms, wineries, ranches (alpaca) and special attractions all over the country where you can camp for "free" in your self-contained RV! All they ask is that you purchase something from the host.

Recently we camped 4 days at three different wineries in Lodi, CA (2 hours from our home). Local campgrounds charge $50-65 per night! We had a delightful time meeting the vintners, tasting wine and enjoying the beauty of the area. Most vintners and farmers have dogs, so yours most likely would be welcome.
Gilda, Those are fabulous ideas!

Margaret
Old 06-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #37

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We were on the road for over 90 days last year . Never camped / overnighted once at a Walmart . It just doesn't appeal to us. The cost of camping is an issue for us as it is for nearly everyone but even though it's free, Walmart is not our campgrounds,of choice.
Considering a nice motel room runs $80 to $140 a night , $25 for a nice campsite at a State or County Park does not seem unreasonable to me.
Steve Dunham, I was looking into camping at one of the state parks at the beach in SC, and it costs $35 to do tent camping, plus more than $50 for RVs! (I was going to go with my tent, but there's now way I'm paying $35 to sleep in a tent. Same deal and same price at a state park in the mountains of VA. Holy Moly. Makes me kind of nostalgic for the good old days.

Margaret
Old 06-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Steve Dunham, I was looking into camping at one of the state parks at the beach in SC, and it costs $35 to do tent camping, plus more than $50 for RVs! (I was going to go with my tent, but there's now way I'm paying $35 to sleep in a tent. Same deal and same price at a state park in the mountains of VA. Holy Moly. Makes me kind of nostalgic for the good old days.

Margaret
I agree ,many public parks are pricing themselves,out of the reach of the average taxpayer. But what did people expect when funding for the parks was slashed and the parks were told they need to be self funding. The KOA's in our area are over $50 and you are sandwiched in like sardines . We made reservations at a Michigan SP in the UP , $19 /night for an RV site which includes electric.
My home state of Wisconsin charges $56/ night for one nights camping in a SP . We quit camping in Wisconsin SP's.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #39

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I agree ,many public parks are pricing themselves,out of the reach of the average taxpayer. But what did people expect when funding for the parks was slashed and the parks were told they need to be self funding. The KOA's in our area are over $50 and you are sandwiched in like sardines . We made reservations at a Michigan SP in the UP , $19 /night for an RV site which includes electric.
My home state of Wisconsin charges $56/ night for one nights camping in a SP . We quit camping in Wisconsin SP's.
Good point! It's sad when parks have to fund themselves. remind me to avoid Wisconsin (meanwhile you avoid the mountains and coast of NC).

People are going to stop buying campers at the rate prices for camping are going up!

Margaret

Margaret
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Good point! It's sad when parks have to fund themselves. Margaret
So, who is going to fund them? Are you willing to have your income tax and sales taxes increased to fund parks?
Apparently, most people are not willing to do that.
Nobody wants to pay more, but somebody has to pay for benefits or they cease to exist.