Where can you Boondock? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #57

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
I had no idea that state parks weren't state funded anymore. So then that means that the unpopular parks that won't produce any income will be sold to land developers and the park will be no more?

The government wastes so much money on military and other stuff but then when it comes to preserving it's own countries land then States get no help, makes no sense.
I agree

Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #58

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Hi Margaret - fellow North Carolinian here. We have four National Forests in NC - Croatan on the central coast, Uwharrie n the central part of the state and Pisgah and Nantahala in the mountains. All offer developed campgrounds ($8-$25/night) and some provide no charge dispersed sites as well. National Forests in North Carolina - Camping & Cabins:Campground Camping
Sr Pass cuts these fees in half. If there's a particular area you're interested in, let me know as we've camped in most of the developed CGs and many of the dispersed ones.

Our State Park campgrounds are less developed and, to me, priced at bit higher than most of our neighbors. They also lock the gates each night and you're either in or out at the appointed time (not a problem for me but a bit unusual).

orite of the four NPS campgrounds at Cape Hatteras and they had a rate increase to $28 this year.

Hope to see you on the road some time.

Yep, I agree. The state parks did lose funding through our state. What is an SR pass? Does that mean senior, and if so, how old do you have to be?

Yes, would love to see you on the road.

Thx., Margaret

Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #59

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We were on the road for over 90 days last year . Never camped / overnighted once at a Walmart . It just doesn't appeal to us. The cost of camping is an issue for us as it is for nearly everyone but even though it's free, Walmart is not our campgrounds,of choice.
Considering a nice motel room runs $80 to $140 a night , $25 for a nice campsite at a State or County Park does not seem unreasonable to me.
I remember the last time I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express next to an interstate highway, nice room ($114). I looked out the window and saw a big parking lot with cars and light trucks.

I remember the last time I stayed at a Walmart parking lot next to an interstate highway, nice room ($0) I looked out the window and saw a big parking lot with cars and light trucks.

The difference? My Walmart room didn't need a blacklight to check for body fluids, pet excrement, etc. I didn't have to carry luggage or check-in, food and entertainment was as close as I chose to park and... Oh yeah no $114!
My Scamp is a nice little private motel which sometimes just happens to be right next to a Walmart... like some Holiday Inns!
Doesn't Dr. Who park the Tardis anywhere (or when) and still have all the comforts of home?
Old 06-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I remember the last time I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express next to an interstate highway, nice room ($114). I looked out the window and saw a big parking lot with cars and light trucks.

I remember the last time I stayed at a Walmart parking lot next to an interstate highway, nice room ($0) I looked out the window and saw a big parking lot with cars and light trucks.

The difference? My Walmart room didn't need a blacklight to check for body fluids, pet excrement, etc. I didn't have to carry luggage or check-in, food and entertainment was as close as I chose to park and... Oh yeah no $114!
My Scamp is a nice little private motel which sometimes just happens to be right next to a Walmart... like some Holiday Inns!
Doesn't Dr. Who park the Tardis anywhere (or when) and still have all the comforts of home?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #61

North Carolina
State parks

That's crazy about what's happening to state parks in Alabama. Here in NC, we formed a committee, "Friends of Mt. Jefferson," because all the funding for Mt. Jefferson State Park was cut, and it was about to revert to private land!! We were able to save it, but its hours are now limited . . . .

We have been trying to raise funds for the state parks by having a canoe race every year, but what is raised is a pittance compared to what the parks really need.

Some of these state governments are really nuts!

Margaret
Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #62

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
That's crazy about what's happening to state parks in Alabama. Here in NC, we formed a committee, "Friends of Mt. Jefferson," because all the funding for Mt. Jefferson State Park was cut, and it was about to revert to private land!! We were able to save it, but its hours are now limited . . . .

We have been trying to raise funds for the state parks by having a canoe race every year, but what is raised is a pittance compared to what the parks really need.

Some of these state governments are really nuts!

Margaret
Makes you wonder why many private campgrounds can offer more and often better facilities for less money and still stay open .

Oh yeah that's right... there's no need to wonder...
Old 06-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #63

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Makes you wonder why many private campgrounds can offer more and often better facilities for less money and still stay open .

Oh yeah that's right... there's no need to wonder...
I " wonder" Floyd ! Maybe someday we can meet in a Walmart parking lot and you can reveal to me the true path ?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #64

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
After a bad experience at a kennel, we bought a trailer so we could bring our dog with us. Our dog is part of our family. We have a pick up with a back seat That's where the dog rides. We take the responsibility of pet ownership very seriously. A parking lot is not a suitable place to walk a dog and the little bit of green is not a dog bathroom. After a long day travelling, a dog as well as the owner needs a quiet place to regroup and refresh. While the parking lot might work for people, I doubt it does much for the dog.
A parking lot is a suitable place to walk a dog, and a patch of green grass is fine for a bathroom. Just like a walk in the city on the concrete with traffic all around is suitable for me and millions of people and dogs. And a patch of green grass is fine for one night here and there when I'm in travel mode, just like a porta potty (or let's be honest, my campers bathroom), is just fine for me when it's what's available.

Jeez.

Your post implies that I don't take pet ownership seriously, and I'm sorry, but that gets me. My dogs entire life quality depends wholly on what I do for him, and you better believe I take it seriously. It's my choice to travel, not his, but I do all I can for him, and a parking lot walk/pee on the grass is not taking away from his quality of life.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:49 AM   #65
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
A parking lot is a suitable place to walk a dog, and a patch of green grass is fine for a bathroom. Just like a walk in the city on the concrete with traffic all around is suitable for me and millions of people and dogs. And a patch of green grass is fine for one night here and there when I'm in travel mode, just like a porta potty (or let's be honest, my campers bathroom), is just fine for me when it's what's available.

Jeez.

Your post implies that I don't take pet ownership seriously, and I'm sorry, but that gets me. My dogs entire life quality depends wholly on what I do for him, and you better believe I take it seriously. It's my choice to travel, not his, but I do all I can for him, and a parking lot walk/pee on the grass is not taking away from his quality of life.
A parking lot is not a suitable place to walk a dog. It can get very hot and burn his pads for one thing. Then there's glass and debris. Try walking in one for half an hour bare foot. As for the grass, I doubt the people who maintain it like the idea much. They certainly don't intend it to be a dog bathroom. And what chemicals did they put on it to kill the weeds? You have no way of knowing.

My guess is that if the dog got a vote he'd rather spend the time at the campground. But as you said "My dogs entire life quality depends wholly on what I do for him,"
Old 06-21-2016, 05:28 AM   #66

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
If I'm living in my camper for a year, which is what I plan to do, I def. can't pay even $35 a night. I would be willing to pay higher taxes, if the danged government would fund the state parks.
If I don't have the money, I don't have the money . . . .Margaret
Think it's been mentioned before, BLM land is free. No hook ups and added problems/things you have to put up with but it's free.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #67

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Canada - Camping on Crown Land

7 Tips For Camping On Crown Land In Ontario, Canada

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #68

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, who is going to fund them? Are you willing to have your income tax and sales taxes increased to fund parks?
Apparently, most people are not willing to do that.
Nobody wants to pay more, but somebody has to pay for benefits or they cease to exist.
Guess I'm going to look at SPs a different way as far as camping use goes and I live in the middle of the largest one in CA. People that camp are a very small % of the masses in any state. Folks that camp notice rigs parked in driveways or on the road. Folk's that don't don't see them. Think of your favorite car, you notice them. I see every 55 Chevy or 56 Crown Vic that passes . Think the bottom line is even though we campers of any rigs are out there, we're a small group overall to RVing and the operating costs of major parks.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #69

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Sorry for the acronym Margaret; abbreviations are one of my pet peeves and I normally don't use them. "Sr" does equal senior and its a Federal program for those 62 or over. Its also known as the 'geezer pass' and one of the best deals going.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

Thanks for your efforts for Mount Jefferson.

NC State Parks give a $3 discount for seniors on campsite fees.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #70

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Sorry for the acronym Margaret; abbreviations are one of my pet peeves and I normally don't use them. "Sr" does equal senior and its a Federal program for those 62 or over. Its also known as the 'geezer pass' and one of the best deals going.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

Thanks for your efforts for Mount Jefferson.

NC State Parks give a $3 discount for seniors on campsite fees.
Hi you two,

Yes, we've got it running for now. It's a beautiful place, and it's in the middle of town. who else has a mountain that rises 4,000 ft. right in the middle of their towns?

I need to get a handicapped sticker (and AARP) to help me qualify for discounts. That way, entrance into national parks is free; don't know about camping.

Not 62; got 7 years to go!

Margaret