Where can you Boondock? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #61

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
State parks

That's crazy about what's happening to state parks in Alabama. Here in NC, we formed a committee, "Friends of Mt. Jefferson," because all the funding for Mt. Jefferson State Park was cut, and it was about to revert to private land!! We were able to save it, but its hours are now limited . . . .

We have been trying to raise funds for the state parks by having a canoe race every year, but what is raised is a pittance compared to what the parks really need.

Some of these state governments are really nuts!

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #62

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
That's crazy about what's happening to state parks in Alabama. Here in NC, we formed a committee, "Friends of Mt. Jefferson," because all the funding for Mt. Jefferson State Park was cut, and it was about to revert to private land!! We were able to save it, but its hours are now limited . . . .

We have been trying to raise funds for the state parks by having a canoe race every year, but what is raised is a pittance compared to what the parks really need.

Some of these state governments are really nuts!

Margaret
Makes you wonder why many private campgrounds can offer more and often better facilities for less money and still stay open .

Oh yeah that's right... there's no need to wonder...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #63

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Makes you wonder why many private campgrounds can offer more and often better facilities for less money and still stay open .

Oh yeah that's right... there's no need to wonder...
I " wonder" Floyd ! Maybe someday we can meet in a Walmart parking lot and you can reveal to me the true path ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #64

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
After a bad experience at a kennel, we bought a trailer so we could bring our dog with us. Our dog is part of our family. We have a pick up with a back seat That's where the dog rides. We take the responsibility of pet ownership very seriously. A parking lot is not a suitable place to walk a dog and the little bit of green is not a dog bathroom. After a long day travelling, a dog as well as the owner needs a quiet place to regroup and refresh. While the parking lot might work for people, I doubt it does much for the dog.
A parking lot is a suitable place to walk a dog, and a patch of green grass is fine for a bathroom. Just like a walk in the city on the concrete with traffic all around is suitable for me and millions of people and dogs. And a patch of green grass is fine for one night here and there when I'm in travel mode, just like a porta potty (or let's be honest, my campers bathroom), is just fine for me when it's what's available.

Jeez.

Your post implies that I don't take pet ownership seriously, and I'm sorry, but that gets me. My dogs entire life quality depends wholly on what I do for him, and you better believe I take it seriously. It's my choice to travel, not his, but I do all I can for him, and a parking lot walk/pee on the grass is not taking away from his quality of life.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:49 AM   #65
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
A parking lot is a suitable place to walk a dog, and a patch of green grass is fine for a bathroom. Just like a walk in the city on the concrete with traffic all around is suitable for me and millions of people and dogs. And a patch of green grass is fine for one night here and there when I'm in travel mode, just like a porta potty (or let's be honest, my campers bathroom), is just fine for me when it's what's available.

Jeez.

Your post implies that I don't take pet ownership seriously, and I'm sorry, but that gets me. My dogs entire life quality depends wholly on what I do for him, and you better believe I take it seriously. It's my choice to travel, not his, but I do all I can for him, and a parking lot walk/pee on the grass is not taking away from his quality of life.
A parking lot is not a suitable place to walk a dog. It can get very hot and burn his pads for one thing. Then there's glass and debris. Try walking in one for half an hour bare foot. As for the grass, I doubt the people who maintain it like the idea much. They certainly don't intend it to be a dog bathroom. And what chemicals did they put on it to kill the weeds? You have no way of knowing.

My guess is that if the dog got a vote he'd rather spend the time at the campground. But as you said "My dogs entire life quality depends wholly on what I do for him,"
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:28 AM   #66

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
If I'm living in my camper for a year, which is what I plan to do, I def. can't pay even $35 a night. I would be willing to pay higher taxes, if the danged government would fund the state parks.
If I don't have the money, I don't have the money . . . .Margaret
Think it's been mentioned before, BLM land is free. No hook ups and added problems/things you have to put up with but it's free.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #67

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Canada - Camping on Crown Land

7 Tips For Camping On Crown Land In Ontario, Canada

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:00 AM   #68

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, who is going to fund them? Are you willing to have your income tax and sales taxes increased to fund parks?
Apparently, most people are not willing to do that.
Nobody wants to pay more, but somebody has to pay for benefits or they cease to exist.
Guess I'm going to look at SPs a different way as far as camping use goes and I live in the middle of the largest one in CA. People that camp are a very small % of the masses in any state. Folks that camp notice rigs parked in driveways or on the road. Folk's that don't don't see them. Think of your favorite car, you notice them. I see every 55 Chevy or 56 Crown Vic that passes . Think the bottom line is even though we campers of any rigs are out there, we're a small group overall to RVing and the operating costs of major parks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #69

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Sorry for the acronym Margaret; abbreviations are one of my pet peeves and I normally don't use them. "Sr" does equal senior and its a Federal program for those 62 or over. Its also known as the 'geezer pass' and one of the best deals going.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

Thanks for your efforts for Mount Jefferson.

NC State Parks give a $3 discount for seniors on campsite fees.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #70

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Sorry for the acronym Margaret; abbreviations are one of my pet peeves and I normally don't use them. "Sr" does equal senior and its a Federal program for those 62 or over. Its also known as the 'geezer pass' and one of the best deals going.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

Thanks for your efforts for Mount Jefferson.

NC State Parks give a $3 discount for seniors on campsite fees.
Hi you two,

Yes, we've got it running for now. It's a beautiful place, and it's in the middle of town. who else has a mountain that rises 4,000 ft. right in the middle of their towns?

I need to get a handicapped sticker (and AARP) to help me qualify for discounts. That way, entrance into national parks is free; don't know about camping.

Not 62; got 7 years to go!

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:27 AM   #71
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Hi you two,

Yes, we've got it running for now. It's a beautiful place, and it's in the middle of town. who else has a mountain that rises 4,000 ft. right in the middle of their towns?

I need to get a handicapped sticker (and AARP) to help me qualify for discounts. That way, entrance into national parks is free; don't know about camping.

Not 62; got 7 years to go!

Margaret
The senior pass, often referred to as the "geezer" pass can be obtained once you're 62. Free entry and 1/2 off on camping in National Parks, National forests, BLM campgrounds, and Army Corp of Engineers facilities. A really good deal. The Access pass seems to provide similar benefits for the disabled.

Senior Pass

$10 Lifetime pass
For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.
May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail or online is twenty dollars ($20). Ten ($10) for the Senior Pass and ten ($10) for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.
May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.
Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
Note: Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.

Interagency Access Pass
Access Pass

Free
For U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities.
May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining an Access Pass through the mail is ten dollars ($10) for processing the application (the Pass is free). Applicants must provide documentation of permanent disability and residency or citizenship.
May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services.
Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:26 AM   #72

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
So it seems this geezer pass is only good for US citizens, and not applicable to Canadians. Whereas in Canada there seems to be no differentiation by citizenry. In 2017 when all Canadian National Parks offer free admittance for our 150th anniversary, it is open to all.

Y'all c'mon up, we be a friendly bunch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #73

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
So it seems this geezer pass is only good for US citizens, and not applicable to Canadians. Whereas in Canada there seems to be no differentiation by citizenry. In 2017 when all Canadian National Parks offer free admittance for our 150th anniversary, it is open to all.

Y'all c'mon up, we be a friendly bunch.
I'm confused Jim, but trust me, that is nothing new.

How is that going to work? Do we need to buy a pass anyway, either now or in 2017, and then it's good for two years instead of just one?

Also, if it is open to all, how are Parks in Canada going to handle the influx? I mean, we have been planning a late August/early September trip to Cape Breton Highlands National Park in 2017, but I wouldn't want to get all the way up there to find no open sites.

Sounds like a great deal though. Happy early Anniversary!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #74

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I'm confused Jim, but trust me, that is nothing new.

How is that going to work? Do we need to buy a pass anyway, either now or in 2017, and then it's good for two years instead of just one?

Also, if it is open to all, how are Parks in Canada going to handle the influx? I mean, we have been planning a late August/early September trip to Cape Breton Highlands National Park in 2017, but I wouldn't want to get all the way up there to find no open sites.

Sounds like a great deal though. Happy early Anniversary!

Frank
If you buy a pass in 2016, it is then good for two years, as 2017 is free. Otherwise any admittance in 2017 is just plain free.

I imagine it will bring a few more folks through the gate, but I bet most of these are day use people, and not quite as many campers. I would just make certain you put your reservations in as soon as you can.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #75

New York
Thanks Jim! Gee, any idea how early I can make reservations for late summer 2017? Probably not yet, eh?

All my grandparents are from Canada. What were they thinking?!?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #76

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Thanks Norm for posting that I did click on the link although didn't think I'd learn anything new, but I did! I didn't know that now I'm "old" if I want to go fishing with my son and grandchildren in Thunder Bay I don't need to get a license now

If I can throw my 2 cents (American of course, can't find any pennies here) worth in regarding stopping overnight at Walmarts Cracker Barrels etc., we do so with our dog when heading to the south in the winter and home again. We take good care of our dog as well, and see no problem walking her from the pavement, or carrying her if it's hot over to nearby grass to do her business which I always pick up. I wouldn't be concerned about pesticides anymore than walking on a town or city street and she goes off onto the grass, who knows what the property owners have put on that grass.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #77

New York
The thing with our dog is he just wants to be with us, no matter where we go. I highly doubt he would know a Walmart parking lot from the one at Pet Smart where he goes regularly for trimming. When hauling our egg on vacation, we stop at rest areas with acres of pavement regularly in the heat of the summer day with Buckley, and walk him to the grass, little tail wagging all the way.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #78

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A parking lot is not a suitable place to walk a dog. It can get very hot and burn his pads for one thing. Then there's glass and debris. Try walking in one for half an hour bare foot. As for the grass, I doubt the people who maintain it like the idea much. They certainly don't intend it to be a dog bathroom. And what chemicals did they put on it to kill the weeds? You have no way of knowing.

My guess is that if the dog got a vote he'd rather spend the time at the campground. But as you said "My dogs entire life quality depends wholly on what I do for him,"
Here in IllAnnoy dogs do get to vote (and often) yet from what I've seen they don't seem to mind Walmart parking lots.
Now they can even register automatically when they apply for a driver's license!...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #79

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Alabama supposedly closed 8 State Parks due to budget cuts and sold off some of the parks . For an example Florala SP in Florala Alabama was sold to the town of Florala. Even the town officials admitted that the State had let the park go to H_LL and it needed a lot of work to bring it up to a reasonable standard. Alabama seemingly has plenty of money to fund their football program but little for their State Parks . The problem appears to be more with priorities plus lack of leadership and less to do with lack of funds.
Our local school district cut art ,drama , foreign language programs ,
debate , band and several teaching positions yet managed to come up with $280 ,000 for the football program.

Yeah that's a shame. I never understood the whole infatuation with football, but then again they have the best marketing team and are really good at brainwashing people.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #80

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Here in IllAnnoy dogs do get to vote (and often) yet from what I've seen they don't seem to mind Walmart parking lots.
Now they can even register automatically when they apply for a driver's license!...
I can actually believe that after seeing the news stories about dogs getting elected to be mayor of cities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosco_the_dog
Dog Elected Mayor In Minnesota
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote