Where can you Boondock? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Where can you Boondock?

I'm new to trailer camping so boondocking is new to me. Cost of actual camping spots around me is expensive so I am wanting to cut my costs and camp for free but where do I find a place to boondock?

I'm pretty sure most of the forests around me are state parks that charge for camping spots, are all state parks like this or do you basically just have to find a forest or lake in the middle of nowhere and set up camp in the woods? Provided obviously there's a road to get the camper down there.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Check out freecampsites.net
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I'm not sure if you have to register, but RV.net has a subforum on boon docking.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping
Old 06-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #4

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Check out freecampsites.net
Dave & Paula
I know I've looked at freecampsites but the other one I haven't. Freecampsites.net gives me maybe 10 or less sites in all of Ohio, I was thinking there'd be more but I guess it is what it is
Old 06-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
I know I've looked at freecampsites but the other one I haven't. Freecampsites.net gives me maybe 10 or less sites in all of Ohio, I was thinking there'd be more but I guess it is what it is
The further west you go, the more opportunities you will find. Lots of National Forest and BLM land west if the Rockies. Visit Utah and Arizona if you can. In jut Moab, Utah and the surrounding area (150 miles) I could spend the rest of my life boondocking and never run out of new places to visit.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Some call free camping boondocking. Others call limited facilities (i.e.no hook ups) boondocking. Most state parks in the northeast fall under the second definition. Because of the heat, the further south you go, the more likely you are to find electric sites. Most NPS and NFS campgrounds meet the no hook definition. Many national forests allow dispersed camping which really fits both definitions. And then there's Walmart.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

New Jersey
In the future I definitely plan on going out west, hopefully by then I will have a solar panel setup.

I guess depending on the definition we did go boondock over the weekend to a local state park. It was $30 no hookups or $32 with electric, we opted for no hookups as I don't have an extension cord yet.

We drove through the park picking out spot and first we drove through the sites with hookups and it was filled with big rv's, no views and a bunch of empty rv's that just sit there until someone comes for the weekend. Then we drove out on the peninsula and there were 3 campers setup through this area which was a very nice area so we picked a spot right on the lake. The next morning we are looking over the paper work and it says it's a tent only site, lol. Obviously they didn't care because no one said anything but it seems like they are trying to keep all the nice sites at that park for tents.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you are in Ohio be sure to check to see if you qualify for a "Golden Buckeye Card". That will give you discounts at the state parks.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
In the future I definitely plan on going out west, hopefully by then I will have a solar panel setup.

I guess depending on the definition we did go boondock over the weekend to a local state park. It was $30 no hookups or $32 with electric, we opted for no hookups as I don't have an extension cord yet.

We drove through the park picking out spot and first we drove through the sites with hookups and it was filled with big rv's, no views and a bunch of empty rv's that just sit there until someone comes for the weekend. Then we drove out on the peninsula and there were 3 campers setup through this area which was a very nice area so we picked a spot right on the lake. The next morning we are looking over the paper work and it says it's a tent only site, lol. Obviously they didn't care because no one said anything but it seems like they are trying to keep all the nice sites at that park for tents.
Tent camping sites are not always for tents only. Those sites do not have utilities and generally are of limited length. However some of the tent sites do permit vans, little motorhomes and small trailers if they are under a certain length. I just camped in a spot like that in Oregon, we just needed to be less than 31' overall for that particular "tent site". So sometimes a site that says tent site is only for tents because it is does not have a parking spot for car or the length of the parking area is not suitable for anything larger than a car and other times they do allow small trailers and a small car into them. Basically it is on a case by case situation and hopefully the website for the campground or the literature at the entrance will tell you what is what.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #10

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you are in Ohio be sure to check to see if you qualify for a "Golden Buckeye Card". That will give you discounts at the state parks.
I don't qualify but my parents have one. I'm not sure though if I would be able to use their card or not.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #11

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Tent camping sites are not always for tents only. Those sites do not have utilities and generally are of limited length. However some of the tent sites do permit vans, little motorhomes and small trailers if they are under a certain length. I just camped in a spot like that in Oregon, we just needed to be less than 31' overall for that particular "tent site". So sometimes a site that says tent site is only for tents because it is does not have a parking spot suitable for anything larger than a car and other times they do allow small trailers and a small car into them.
Ok good to know, I have to slowly familiarize myself with these kinds of things.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Camping is allowed anyplace in national forests unless specifically posted against it. At least that's unless things have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #13

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's tough in the east. Your options are Walmart or nice landowners, pretty much.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com

The west is a whole different deal.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #14

New Jersey
Unfortunately all the free campsites are all about 2hrs+ from me so it doesn't make sense to drive that far and use more gas to get a free site. When we go out west in the future I'll hope we have more luck.

We were also planning to go out east to the New England states, is free camping just as scarce out there? There is so much unused land around here that it makes me wonder, unless more people willing to pay for sites around here?
Old 06-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We have traveled all over the country and have averaged about $8 per night for lodging with our Scamp.
We don't really Boondock per se but we nearly always stay at free places while in transit. These include WalMart, truck stops, rest areas, Crackerbarrel, etc. That brings the average way down when paying to stay when we arrive at our destination.
For those over 62 there is the Senior Pass for Federal facilities and many states offer big discounts for residents who are seniors, disabled, or some even offer yearly passes which could result in a nice discount for all residents.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #16

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
"Camping is allowed anyplace in national forests unless specifically posted against it. At least that's unless things have changed."

I think that's still true. I have only seen "no camping" signs at day-use areas. That gives you millions of acres of public land to enjoy.

However, the National Park Service is a much different animal.

The Jenny Lake campground in Grand Teton is "tents only". Since I was traveling in a VW pop-up at that time, I asked at the visitors center if the bus might qualify as a single vehicle with a tent on top . Nope. No expandables allowed. As it turned out, that campground was full anyway, and I found a nice campground with privacy just down the road.

So, what's the point? National Parks are incredibly popular and rules must be followed, for better or worse. The National Forests are more "self-service", in some ways. Just be responsible. Police yourself. Have fun. If your needs are simple, the camping opportunities are nearly unlimited.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Escapees has a day's end directory.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I don't qualify but my parents have one. I'm not sure though if I would be able to use their card or not.
No you cannot use it unless your parents are camping with you. It provides discounts only to those who qualify.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #19

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
I think this is a good thread . . . especially for full time rving

Maybe boondockers could give examples of some specific places? I'm not very keen on camping at Walmart . . . what's the point?

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Maybe boondockers could give examples of some specific places? I'm not very keen on camping at Walmart . . . what's the point?

Margaret

I think the point is that camping at a Walmart (and many other parking lots) is safe, legal, and a place to rest overnight when you're going from point A (home) to point B (insert favorite camping spot here). In many parts of the continent, hopping from one campground to the next isn't easy.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote