Where can you park? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

Name: Noel
Trailer: In the Market
California
Where can you park?

Hi,
I hope this is the right place to post this question...
I've been a member, though not an active one, for a couple of years. I love to read about fiberglass trailers but don't have one ...yet! Still doing research on whether I can afford one and whether I can travel where I want to go in one. I've done a fair amount of wilderness hiking (obviously not an option for a trailer there!) and tent camping, which lead me to think about this question...where, in parks, are you allowed to park the 13" fiberglass trailers? For example, I see notices on park websites that say RV, but I'm reluctant to be among the larger RVs due to the constant sound of generators. I also see notices that say camping/tent, "two cars max." Couldn't a 13" fiberglass trailer fit in as one of the "two cars"? And if it could fit, will they let you park there?
Thanks!
Noel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #2

Name: Chad
Trailer: 2000 17' Bigfoot CB
Nebraska
It kind of depends on how you want to camp. We usually camp in Colorado so I can only speak from experience there. The nice about a 13' in Colorado, is that you can take them places other RVs only dare to go (depending on your tow vehicle, we have a 4Runner BTW).

It also depends on whether you want Water/Electric hook-ups. If you need them in a campground, you will be among the other RVers. If you don't, you can camp with the tents, if allowed. We don't have a shower, so sometimes we camp in the middle-of-nowhere, and when we get stinky we camp in a campground with showers. Depends on what you want.

As for the last question, I too have thought that there are tents bigger than the Scamp, but in the end, it is still an RV. So in that case, if you camp in a tent only zone, it really depends on the person enforcing the rules.
chud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
In my limited (compared to a lot of people here) Scamp-camping experience I have found that there are a lot of different sized campsites out there. The smaller and harder to get into campsites usually turn out to be the nicest ones IMHO. We have been in several sites that although listed as Tent/RV they were obviously laid out and intended for a Tent but I had no trouble parking the Scamp in them. The one place we wanted to go to that only showed dry Tent camping, an AL SP, said come on when I asked them (via e-mail) about dry camping there in my Scamp. So, I say just ask. But make it clear when you ask that you neither expect nor require hookups. I get your point about not wanting to park amongst the huge rigs, but at least you get to move on eventually!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
I camp in RV Parks, State Parks, National Parks, National Forests, BLM land and other remote boondocking locations with my 13' Casita. No matter how developed or undeveloped the place is, I've never had an issue getting the Casita and my Jeep into a site due to the size of the site. Now... the condition of the road to the site is an entirely different story. There are roads that disallow any towing and there are road that have length limits (I'm 27' total between trailer and tow). Also, the Casita can only handle extremely light off roading, so that can be a limiting factor. But im terms of campsites, if I can get to it, I I will fit.

Also, if a park specifically prohibits any size RV (very rare), I will call and ask if I may use my 13' FG trailer as a 'tent' without running fans/pumps (I have no generator). Sometimes they say yes sometimes they say no. But almost every park I've been to has a max vehicle length of at least 15'.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here in our Oregon State Parks, tent sites have a very short driveway. Tents are typically put up close to the back of the site. A curb bump would prevent you from backing a trailer into the site and there usually isn't room for tug and tow in the driveway.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Name: Matthew
California
I've seen some pretty tight driveways... Oregon State Parks are definitEly in that category.... but a driveway less than 13' wouldn't accommodate most SUV's, station wagons, minivans and even many sedans. I'm not sure I've encountered this, although it's not an impossibility.

That said, I have almost never been allowed to pull the trailer onto a tent pad off the driveway that's a no-no at almost every park I've visited.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

Name: Noel
Trailer: In the Market
California
Wow, thank you everyone! I am much more optimistic now that I know I don't have to always stay in the RV section. I hope to "boondock" if I ever manage to get a fiberglass trailer, so I will take your advice and call ahead to see if I can stay in non-RV area since I won't need hookups. I am very grateful for your quick responses!
Noel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

Name: John
California
One of the main reasons I love my 16' Casita is that it fits in parks with tent sites away from RV's and generators. My rule is to never camp with hookups and always avoid parking on asphalt or concrete. That way I can almost pretend I'm camping : ) ......and still see some beautiful country. I have found that in most parks pulling into a "tent only" site is a non issue as long as you fit and keep the road clear. With a 13' you will have even more options! Matt has a good point about not pulling off the parking area into a tent site and I would never try that.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have found in state, provincial and national parks that a lot depends on the rangers as to whether or not they will let you go to a tent site with a small trailer - assuming there is no length limitations to getting into it.

Having said that my experience there are lots of great BML lands to camp on in the OP's state as well as neighbouring states if hook ups are not needed and busy camp grounds are not wanted.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Often in National Forest campgrounds the sites are far enough apart that the "biggies" don't seem intrusive, and they don't permit generators running at night. Also the case with some National Park Service sites.
Many of those sites are spectacular and I'm willing to compromise in order to camp in them.
Another point I'm not sure has been mentioned yet, is that "back country" camping is allowed in many National Forests and BLM lands. Just check first.
Oh, and of course the National Seniors Pass helps in all those places.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have a 2011 Scamp which is 13' long. We, too, prefer the generally "quieter" camping that tent camping offers, but love the convenience of our Scamp. Big RVs usually portend BIG noise as their engines or TVs make a lot of noise, they seem to "require" generators on all day. Often, curiously, one never sees the occupants as they are indoors. Being retired we mostly plan our camping trips to be during the week and avoid weekends. That means we can usually choose our, more or less, secluded site. Frankly, we do dread that occasional neighbor who creates a lot of noise and does not seem to camp for the same reasons we do. I've been tempted to post a sign at our campsite indicating that we are "quiet campers" (and appreciate others who are the same). Unfortunately, I cannot think of signage that would not antagonize others. For the most part, though we have found quiet camping experiences and few noisy ones.

What I don't miss about tent camping is the set up and take down in the dirt. Rainy, leaky days and nights. Hearing our neighbors through the cloth shelter. Shivering on a cold morning or evening.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote