Where Did My Reply Post Go? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Where Did My Reply Post Go?

Yesterday, I took some time and considerable trouble to reply to a post that had indicated all civil service positions in Canada required bilingual skills, which is absolutely incorrect. I took care to word the post so as to not offend the original poster, nor enter the realm of political debate - just supplied the facts, and offered my opinion that having a bilingual country is something I value highly. I had one email yesterday, with a link to a post basically supporting that comment.

This morning, when I checked another link to the same thread, my post seems to have disappeared. If this is indeed the case, I'd appreciate knowing who removed it, and why.
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Could be the moderators have hidden the post so they can decide if it's suitable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Richard,
Several replies to the thread were deleted as being off topic on the thread-"Saw these last week in Quebec" where the discussion was not related to the thread subject and more of a political/sociological nature.
As you stated above you wanted to discuss the civil service/bilingual skills issue. If you wish to start a new thread on this topic, feel free to do so.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Nice to be Notified...

...if that's the case.

Myself, I can't see much of a problem with a post that simply corrects mistaken information...just saying...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #5

Not Exactly

I didn't wish to discuss the issues surrounding bilingualism in Canada - Lord knows we do enough of that this side of the 49th - just wanted to correct factually inaccurate information posted within that thread. I notice the post that triggered my response has also disappeared. Appreciate your taking time to reply and explain what's happened, Jim.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up

Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It would be much stranger if only part of a post disappe
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
Yesterday, I took some time and considerable trouble to reply to a post that had indicated all civil service positions in Canada required bilingual skills, which is absolutely incorrect.
Richard I didnt get to see you post yesterday before it was deleted.

I suspect It was probable my response to the question of air traffic controllers only speaking French in Quebec that you were responding. I realized after I sent it that I probable didnt explain in enough detail what positions and what government agencies requires people to be bilingual just wanted to debunk the suggestion that any pilot flying into Canada needs to speak french because the airtraffic controllers speak French.

Sorry should have worded it a lot better but was also trying to keep it short to avoid the "delete" issue. Unfortunately some here are under the assumption that the bilingual issue and our health care system are a political topics in Canada ... not aware that is really not the case and that by far the majority of the country love both dearly and there is nothing political about it. Any issues with the bilingual part were laid to rest many years ago.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #9

Coast to Coast, We See Eye to Eye

Hey, Carol,

My reply post was intended solely to clarify the position re bilingualism within the civil service and other government agencies. Like you, I feel very strongly that Canada's universal single-payer health care system and our bicultural heritage are perhaps the greatest things about our nation, indicative of the sense of compassion and tolerance that makes Canada what it is.

The moderators on FiberGlass RV do an exceptional job in creating and maintaining an online community that, in addition to being an invaluable source of information and advice, is remarkably free of the bickering, back-biting and off-topic argument that mars all too many other sites. They deserve our thanks and our cooperation. If any of my posts don't help them in that work, they're welcome to whack 'em anytime
Regards,
Richard
Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
The moderators on FiberGlass RV do an exceptional job in creating and maintaining an online community that, in addition to being an invaluable source of information and advice, is remarkably free of the bickering, back-biting and off-topic argument that mars all too many other sites.
Yup they do indeed and I suspect few realize just how much personal time they give up doing it!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If only I had taken French in high school.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
If only I has PASSED French in high school . . . .
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
If only I dated the french exchange student in high school !!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If only I had eaten less french fries over the years....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
If only I had taken French in high school.
I took French in high school. Does me a lot of good in Southern California.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I passed on French in high school. I'm not civil and I'm nobodys servant... but I do like molded fiberglass trailers!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #17

The only French I know is... wine!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Donna,
Don't tell me that you've never had a kiss after some of that wine.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #19

Roy, I'll NEVER kiss and tell
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #20

Registry
LOL I did take 5 years of French in school and kissed a Québécois for awhile - can kiss and tell because it was that long ago they have probable forgotten I have drank a fair bit of French vino and sit and read the label every morning on the cereal box which is in both languages. My lessons in the French language have been about as useful as they are to Frederick in California even when visiting Quebec & like Alf the Feds wouldn't have me as a servant either due to how poor my French is -not that I would want to be I can actually only recall a handful of phrases. Most of which I only use when around young children who havent started taking French in school yet.

The French culture in Canada is a hugh part of Canada's history and its the second largest cultural background group in the country. Like our aboriginal culture its something that most feel is well worth the effort to preserve. Highway signs in BC as they are replaced are now staring to also include the local First Nations name for the area in their local language - doesn't mean you need to know the local first Nations language to travel in those areas. Bottom line is the lack of french language skills is no reason not to visit Quebec whether driving or flying, it is a beautiful province full of great history and you will get by just fine knowing little or no French.

Gezzzz this is starting to start to sound a lot like one of the !