Where do you shave? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #29

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Hi Michael et al.,

I am also a double edge guy after using a straight for awhile.

DE are very cost effective as Persona & Feather blades are very sharp and each will last a week or more. I have been using Dr. Bronner's pure Castile Bar Soap for shaving. I tried the liquid, but the bar is more useful for shaving. We only use the small 2 oz liquid bottle by the kitchen sink for hand washing before food prep etc.

Sorry I digressed.

Just moisten face with hot or warm water and then you can use the bar in wet hands to work up a bit of soap film and put on face. Or rub the bar over you days growth when face is wet and it works super as well.
Also works well when shaving in campground showers.

This is a wonderful it all-in-one that you can also use for shampoo, showering, clothes etc. Back in the hippy days many of you may have used/tried Bronner's.

Why do we use an all-in-one you may ask...?

We are in a 16' Scamp FBRV so clearley we cut to the essentials. Why buy dozens of special products or more importantly store all of them when one suffices for most uses.

Oh, almost forgot your main question was on the "mechanics."
I use the main sink next to stove and a simple mirror with a wire stand. May be a make up mirror? this is a round one about 8" in diameter- plain on one side and a magnifying on other. For travel it is removed and stowed.

I slip the wire stand thingy over the cupboard door and yep gotta squat down a little bit to use it as I am also on the tall side. But think about the extra "yoga" stretches you get in the process to keep you flexible.

A quick rinse with hot or warm water afterwards and the razor rinses clean as well.

We also have the front bathroom with toilet, sink & shower in our Scamp. the sink is far too low and nearly no room to use it.

I must admit having just been in Scamp graduate school with Norm at his SKP park I learned a heap of new practical stuff. However, we did not delve into advanced courses related to shaving so missed the Secret Shave tip.

Cheers,

Bat Dude

Link to Bronner's
https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/BARSOAP.html

Old 01-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #30

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Ode to shaving

I’d never shave this face of mine
On any day of camping time.
This is my rule I made to keep
Forever when I ventured deep
Into the forest to retreat
In natures belly green and sweet.

It started in my tenting days
And soon became unwritten tome
That if one sleeps beside the trail
A face unshaven be the norm.
It was a point of youthful pride,
But I never felt grotesque inside.

Despite the times if people frowned
When seeing grizzle on my chin,
I thought the bears and deer might smile
When they saw hairy humans grin.
Of course that view seems silly now,
And bears and deer are smarter too.

Yet even though my camping days
Have morphed from trails to a fiberglass case,
I cling onto that old tradition
To never, ever shave my face
When on a camping expedition.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #31

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Safety razors? Seriously?

WTH is wrong with you guys?

THIS is how a REAL man shaves...

Old 01-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #32

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Well over a decade ago my wife and daughter talked me into shaving my head. They, and _all_ the girlz at the workplace luv'd the new me. BUT my skin didn't really like being abused every day going under the blade : )

So about 5 years ago I ditched the blade/creams and grabbed a Braun M90 mobile battery operated shaver (2 x AA). I get about a month's worth of shaves to the cost of those two batteries. For the head/skull I grabbed a (2 x AA) battery operated beard trimmer. Again, I get about a month or so worth of shaves.

I'm not sharing any of the above to start a electric vs blade war...
I shared because my skin has taken a positive turn back to full health with no ingrown hair issues or oily skin. Lots healthier in my case. And won't go back.

YMMV,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #33

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Safety razor? Real men shave with a straight razor and strop. Not me though, although I own a couple of straight razors and a strop (and actually know how to correctly sharpen a razor on one) I just use cheap disposables, and suffer the consequences of using cheapo razors.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Shave?

I've had a facial hair for 40 years, first a goatee and now a trimmed beard. I just use my fingers to tell me where to start and stop. If I used a mirror, I'd have to put my glasses on. Besides, the mirror shows me things that I'd rather see.

BobH.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #35

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Hot washcloth and disposable twin blade. A pack of 10 lasts for months - not expensive. No soap or cream. Done where ever I find my hot water. I keep a short beard, so just trimming my neck and around the beard.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #36

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Always in the shower using conditioner instead of shaving cream - started when i was traveling alot with carry on luggage only - no liquids, so just picking up a disposable razor from the hotel desk and making do with that.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #37

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
I stopped using shaving cream when I was in the Navy years ago and have "dry" shaved ever since. I've use the budget disposables as well as the triple bladed and five bladed fancy kind and the safety razor. They all provide about the same shave quality in my opinion. I have a beard and still shave my neck and cheeks daily to stay cleaned up around the edges. I've been using the same blade on my Gillette Fusion for about three months now and it still shaved me fine this morning. Light and space seem to be the issue for me and I can imagine shaving outside in the daylight or I just could skip or day or two if the weather is poor. I could also see mounting a tiny mirror on the backside of one of the kitchen cabinet doors for shaving inside if needed but at 6'3" I'm ducking my head anywhere inside the cabin so looking into the backside of a cabinet door would not present any challenge for me either.

I also have a battery powered Norelco trimmer that I bought from Walmart for about $10 and I charge it about once a year to keep my beard neatly trimmed.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #38

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
I've gone electric rechargeable in the trailer. Can't stand the feel of left over shaving cream, or soap or guck on my face.
Nothing a warm damp facecloth doesn't clean off. I just combine it with washing up.

I only shave one, maybe twice, a week when camping. I hate shaving, and I hate long growth on my face. Quite a problem.

One of the only good side effects to doing chemotherapy for leukemia near 27 years ago, was that all my fast growing hair fell out, and my face was as smooth as a baby's bottom.

If in a campground has a washroom with running water, I will shave there, otherwise, I just do it at the trailer, either inside or out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #39

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Face & legs
Sorry i couldn't resist
😃

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #40

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Face & legs
Sorry i couldn't resist
😃
If by chance there are other areas, we don't care to know, okay!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Hi Michael et al.,
I must admit having just been in Scamp graduate school with Norm at his SKP park I learned a heap of new practical stuff. However, we did not delve into advanced courses related to shaving so missed the Secret Shave tip.

Bruce, oops BatDude, was a great student at Scamp Graduate school, actually a marvelous addition to our park getting us all chatting about bats. Bruce and Carolyn, fondly cat woman, are extremely interesting people who will expand your knowledge besides being cheery.

Like most FRV people well worth meeting.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #42

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
I use scissors