Where is my Summer going - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #15

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Looking at staying near High Springs to tube the Ichetucknee this month. Problems...Tow vehicle doesn't want to shift out of first, need that fixed first, Fluid levels okay.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Low this morning was 46 degrees , high today 61 degrees .
My kind of summer weather .

Old 07-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #17

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Low this morning was 46 degrees , high today 61 degrees .
My kind of summer weather .
From the hills of Maine, I love it too but I do not like to hear the house boiler running on the 14th of July so I lit the woodstove yesterday....no humidity was nice and wish I had a load of logs to start cutting, for year 2018 firewood. Can't camp, might as well do something other then watch tomatoes grow and pick blueberries.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Save your Battery

Our three year old Honda Odyssey would not start one day in Newfoundland, It turned out that our 'Maintenance Free Battery had failed. It turns out that most Maintenance Free Batteries use up their water and lose the ability to hold a charge. I took the label off that said Maintenance Free and pried the fill cps off and used some dehumidifier condensed water provided by a Newfoundlander and problem gone.

We returned to the States this week and I bought a bottle of distilled water. I checked the car's battery and then went and checked the trailer's battery. The car was fine but the trailer battery, also maintenance free, needed a literal quart of water.

These batteries are not maintenance free, just difficult to maintain because you now need to remove the maintenance free label and pry the caps off with a fine bladed screwdriver and fill each cell. I carry a turkey baster with me to aid in the fill process.

My previous car had the same problem after 3 years. Topping the water off added another 3 years to it's life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Looking at staying near High Springs to tube the Ichetucknee this month. Problems...Tow vehicle doesn't want to shift out of first, need that fixed first, Fluid levels okay.
Hopefully an inexpensive repair.

On Fords and one International Harvester school bus have seen a vacuum leak on the little pot bolted to the outside of the transmission cause an inability to shift up. Might go up a gear but can't stay there and drops back down. Ford uses vacuum to operate a lot of stuff and a leak in one of those other hoses can cause the same sort of symptoms but that pot is a likely candidate and cheap part, easily replaced, easily checked.

Easy check is to look for the black rubber vacuum line going to that pot on the transmission. Pull the line off at the trans, the idle should get worse from sucking air into vacuum line BUT not if it is already leaking. Cover end of line with thumb, idle gets better you need another vacuum pot.

Also the passing gear plunger on the side of GM transmission can cause that issue. Follow cable to little plunger, pull plunger back and let it snap back a few times. There is a valve there that can get crud on it and the crud causes valve to not seal, that allows fluid pressure to go to wrong path, so it can't shift up. Had a friend looking at a trans shop that was going to ding him for $900 repair. Snapped that plunger a few times and all fixed. His uncle worked at GM proving grounds and I guess it is a known issue on the Suburbans and some other models.

Have seen stick shifts that the adjustment nut come loose. That nut adjust the rods between shift lever and transmission, too far in one direction and can't move the levers on the transmission to the right positions to allow shifting.

Good luck, me I'm trying to track down the last leak in the front end so I can put the couch back in. Would you believe someone put rivets in the window weep holes? Water comes in at the window frame then flows out that seam on the bottom from inside the track, or track overflows.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #20

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Ca Douglas...was absolutely great to meet both of you! You are correct in saying Boler owners are great people as you both are awesome! Your trailer is amazing and so nice to see how much you two love it. Safe travels to you and have fun on the island with your son... ... Dean, Wendy and Bella .