Where is the most beautiful place you ever camped? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
One of my favorite camping places is Big Bend National Park, especially in the basin where it is cool when the rest of the park is baking.

Another favorite is Acadia National Park in Maine for the ocean scenery.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #22

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
East of the Mississippi, the Manogahela National Forest in West Virginia by far!!!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #23

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
The scenery in southern Utah is spectacular, we have some favorite places in Idaho, along the Salmon River in Stanley Basin, but nothing compares ,to us at least, to Central Oregon which is pretty close to home. The Metolius River is about as scenic as it comes w/ good fly fishing as a bonus. So many incredible places on Cascade Lakes highway-Little Lava Lake-the head of the Deschutes River is especially pretty
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0008.jpg   IMG_0021.jpg  

IMG_0060.jpg  
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face The most beautiful place for me is also the most difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
What's YOUR favorite place to camp (beauty wise)?
I cannot take the Fiber Stream there.
It won't fit into a backpack and weighs considerably more than the 75 pound limit I was capable to take...

I was only there only once, 35 years ago, and I doubt I could survive the hike to get there today.
But the memory of it shines as brightly for me as if I were there yesterday...

Havasu Falls in Havasupai, Grand Canyon - havasupaitribe.com

This should be on everyone's "Bucket List."

(Even though it is different today than when I saw it.)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Very tough question. All the parks I visit have their own unique beauty and I have not been disappointed.

Glacier National Park is a place that draws me back, perhaps from memories of visits when I was younger.

John Muir once said about Glacier, "Nowhere else is so much Majesty compacted together."
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #26

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
I concur with Frederick.....Havasupai is a bucket list thing. I attended NAU in Flagstaff in the 60"s, was a member of the NAU hiking club and we made it to Supai at least 3 times per school year. Was last there for a hiking club reunion when most of us were approaching our 50's......finally reached an age when we could afford and most importantly NEEDED to have our camping gear toted down and up by mule/horse. Would not take the Scamp, LOL.

As to other favorite camping spots thru-out the USA, every place I have been in this country, canada, mexico, northern europe have all had their special qualities. The destination is important but equally important is the trip there if you can take the time to find those hidden gems during the trip.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Tough decision! - My favorite National Park is Glacier. Favorite State Park - Ricketts Glen in PA. Favorite area - Southern Utah.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Haines Junction, Yukon
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hard to say which if any where the best as so many of the parks and areas I have been are amazing to see .... but as others have said the most memorable were not accessible by car. At the top of my lists would be a couple of kayaking trips - one to the southern end of Queen Charlotte Island to Gwaii Haanas National Park reserve - lots of deer and bears wondering around. Another would be a kayaking trip that started in Bella Bella BC - 14 days and only saw three boats - one of them a cruise ship and the the other a Coast Guard cutter - good timing on the later as they ended up following us for about a mile and a bit to ensure we landed safely at our target island when a big storm came up suddenly during a long open water crossing. In that area the only foot prints other than ours in the sand seen on most of the islands we camped where those of wolfs and deer. We fished for dinner each night and the only problem with that was you had to watch the grey whales didnt surface under your boat while they fished in the same area. The later was a bit of a wet trip though and it was on the ferry ride home I saw my first Casita and decided I wanted a small trailer for a warm place to sleep at night ;-)))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #30

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
MillCreek.jpg  
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #31

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i have sat for hours, wracking my brain, trying to come up with the definitive answer to this query....and i cannot do it. of all the places we've seen, of all the parks we've visited and all of the special sites we've been lucky enough to make into memories....i cannot pick one more special than another. each has its own beauty, its own special mark. i love the majesty of the mountains, but also the gorgeous sand beaches.
not fair, asking a question like this---because it made me sit and reminisce instead of finishing off some painting! so now, i've got THAT chore still awaiting my attention.
however....seeing nature in all of its glory--especially seeing animals in their home environment, does seem to be creeping to the top of the list....the moose, deer, bear, elk, whales etc....each special for me.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
What's YOUR favorite place to camp (beauty wise)?
The most recent place:

Mount Hood National Forest
Campgrounds on the bank of the Clackamas River
Attached Thumbnails
000_1321.jpg   000_1323.jpg  

000_1326.jpg   000_1328.jpg  

Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #33

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
all these photos and movies, are fantastic!

Thank you all for giving me these gifts.

The more I look at everything you all have shared with me, the more I want to retire. I just hope the Lord is willing and I have the health to do so in the near future.
God Bless.
Lew
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #34

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
i have sat for hours, wracking my brain, trying to come up with the definitive answer to this query....and i cannot do it. of all the places we've seen, of all the parks we've visited and all of the special sites we've been lucky enough to make into memories....i cannot pick one more special than another. each has its own beauty, its own special mark. i love the majesty of the mountains, but also the gorgeous sand beaches.
not fair, asking a question like this---because it made me sit and reminisce instead of finishing off some painting! so now, i've got THAT chore still awaiting my attention.
however....seeing nature in all of its glory--especially seeing animals in their home environment, does seem to be creeping to the top of the list....the moose, deer, bear, elk, whales etc....each special for me.
I'm sorry about the painting Theresa. On the other hand, I'm glad you got to reminisce. Sounds like you long to do some more traveling. Your waaaay ahead of me, as most others on the site! lol
Thanks for sharing part of your day with us.
Sincerely.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #35

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Such thoughtful answers! Thanks, Big Lew for starting this thread. Hope you had or are having a wonderful cruise to Alaska! That is on my bucket list also. Most of us just can't go to all of these far away places, so as one said, just be sure to make the most of each experience you do get to have and be glad for the chance to do whatever you did and will get to do in the future.
SusieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up Banderlier Juniper Campground

Yo! Big Lew,

We just got back from 8 days of escaping the heat (should have taken more under ware or found a laundry), our plans on flying up to Alaska didn't work out. All the places were where we'd been, but Bandelier Nat'l Mon't was years ago. We enjoyed our time there.

The campground (3 loops - 56 sites <maybe>) in a mixed forest of Ponderosa Pine & Juniper (nothing as lush as the Mount Hood Nat'l Forest) was very peaceful & quite (hardly anyone camping) & the stars were popping at night. What made it so nice, we had thunder & rain showers in the evenings & night with lots of clouds in day time as well (always a treat for desert dwellers).

Not the Most Beautiful, but not too shabby a place & the Ruins & the Canyons of the area were really neat. IMHO.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Juniper CG Loop C - Loop A & B had less Ponderosa & more scattered Juniper. We choose C for the longer site pads & we wanted to be closer to the flush toilets.

Before the Flash Food on 21 Aug. 2011 (just a year ago to almost to the date we were walking the trail, 20 Aug), they had what looked like a really neat campground along the Frijoles Canyon near the Visitor Center. Most of the sites are still there & the restroom building, but the bridge over the creek is gone. They are now a little leery (in my opinion) of having people down there camping in the future.

We had to 'ford' the creek using a narrow area with a couple rocks for stepping stones. The flash food tore out the bridge(s) along the creek & got water into the Visitor Center. Closed the park for some time. Closed the campground area along the Creek (maybe for good) as well.

"Currently all access to the most visited part of the park, Frijoles Canyon, is via a mandatory shuttle bus from the nearby community of White Rock." We stopped at the shuttle stop in White Rock, asked if the campground was still open. It was & one can catch the shuttle at the turn off to the campground. It is free. It is provide free by the County of Los Alamos & they have several bus routes in Los Alamos & White Rock, all free. A very nice service with excellent buses. One could stay at the campground & take the shuttle to White Rock, then get free rides to Los Alamos, then return without using any fuel & still get to see the sights & do any shopping one needed. Bike can be taken as well, if room for them on the font bumpers of the buses. An super nice system. It seems White Rock is consider a part of Los Alamos. Los Alamos has a few museums, but we didn't go to any.

Juniper Trees

Frijoles Canyon from Upper Entrance Road

Loop Trail at Banderlier

Room "Niches" Carved in the Banderlier Volcanic Tuff Cliffs of Frijoles Canyon

Frijoles Creek Greenbelt return trail

The Valles Caldera area, West of Bandelier, is up at least another Thousand feet elevation on NM 4 & farther west in the Jemez Springs area, there are several Forest Service campgrounds. Jemez Falls was a neat place, we visited years ago. Should be a neat one. A waterfall in New Mexico is always special. We didn't go, should have given it a go. The Pull up to the Caldera area is really a steep climb with many twist & turns, but very pretty:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/DSC05592.jpg Photo of NM Route 4 - From the Los Alamos Turn Off to Valle Caldera

Speaking of "Painting", my wife took a really neat photo of a Datura Flower (Desert Thorn Apple or Angel's Trumpets), a neat white flower, trumpet shaped with neat light lavender/purple edging inside the trumpet bell. I'm planning on doing a painting of it soon. She did a photo of an Indian Blanket wildflower as well, looks a little like a colorful sunflower or daisy with red center and red radiating up the yellow petals, turns out to be the OK state wildflower. May use it as a subject as well.

If interested in my Trip Report with photos:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ont-53991.html
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #37

Pennsylvania
Always....

If interested in my Trip Report with photos:
Trip to Santa Fe & Bandelier Nat'l Mon't

We are ALWAYS interested in your trips and photos!
That is such a beautiful place! It's funny, when I look at your photos you can almost smell the pines and the fresh air.
It's so good to know there is more to life than just work. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy work, nothing wrong with a good sweat or challenge in life. But, every day I think about traveling and just getting away from it all.
Someday.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieinNC View Post
Such thoughtful answers! Thanks, Big Lew for starting this thread. Hope you had or are having a wonderful cruise to Alaska! That is on my bucket list also. Most of us just can't go to all of these far away places, so as one said, just be sure to make the most of each experience you do get to have and be glad for the chance to do whatever you did and will get to do in the future.
Hi SusieinNC!
I am really thankful for all the replies on this thread. It's helped me out quite a bit and I also hope so for others.
Let us know when your heading this direction and my wife and I will deliver a six pack of Sticky Buns to you!
Have a great week!!!
Lew
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #39

Pennsylvania
Hey Adrian!
I re-read your post again today.......don't you just love those FREE shuttles?
We had those up in Bar Harbor.
BTW,,,those ruins were special.
Thanks for all you do!
Lew
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #40

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,mine will be a state forest, dry camping along side the black river in onaway michigan, gaurding the migrating sturgeon from poachers.
my site was about 30 or 40 feet above the river on a cliff facing west into the sunset.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote