Where to cross? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Where to cross?

As we will be making our first border crossing with the Casita in a few days, a question. It seems I have plenty of choices from Michigan to Montana, with our destination being the Canadian Rockies. Would it be better to cross at one of the larger crossings, or one of the little 2 lane highways in North Dakota or Montana? Not expecting any major problems anywhere as we have studied the rules. Just hope to make it as painless as possible. If anyone has a favorite route, would love to hear about it.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
A few years ago we crossed on a very rural road south of Morden, Manatoba, at the guidance of a friend in a Morden. This would make a quick crossing with few trucks and other traffic on the major roads. We arrived at the border early in the morning and were greated by two guards who probably hadn't seen a vehicle in a few hours. They were asking all kinds of questions and wanted to look through the trailer. After an hour of fielding questions about the Casita we gave them some literature and the company's address and were on our way . The small rural roads may not save time but the crossing is enjoyable.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
You can get an official up-to-the-hour wait time info on the US side at the US Borders & Protection site & the Canadian information at Border Wait Times.

There is also a Google Map version that seems to be down at the moment.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When going South I cross at Sweet Grass Montana. It seems ok to me.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Years ago, I crossed back in the US in a car at one of the smaller crossings in Montana. Unfortunately for me, they had a training class going that day and they proceeded to take everything in the car apart. As we were standing watching, one of the trainees called out "Contraband!" It was Sunkist oranges that we'd bought in Calgary. Our penance was having to eat the oranges while we stood there for an hour watching them stick mirrors under our car and smell all our toiletries.

The point--you never know what's going to happen at the border.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Chapman View Post
As we will be making our first border crossing with the Casita in a few days, a question. It seems I have plenty of choices from Michigan to Montana, with our destination being the Canadian Rockies. Would it be better to cross at one of the larger crossings, or one of the little 2 lane highways in North Dakota or Montana? Not expecting any major problems anywhere as we have studied the rules. Just hope to make it as painless as possible. If anyone has a favorite route, would love to hear about it.
I don't have experience with the Canadian Border, but I do with bureaucrats....
I would choose the busiest crossing at rush hour. Smile, be polite, and look harmless with your little Casita on holiday, then they'll likely pick on somebody else and practically wave you through.

You could of course, try to use the Force...... "This is not the vehicle your are looking for...move along." [heck it works for OBIWAN]....
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I find the smaller crossings to be more personal, and less of a meeting with officialdom.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I find the smaller crossings to be more personal, and less of a meeting with officialdom.
I have always used the smaller local crossings when I visit relatives in New Brunswick. Normally, quicker than the large commercial/tourist crossing several miles away. You can get border crossing times from "Canada 360" on XM Radio. This summer, even my favourite little border crossing has wait times of 10 minutes or more.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote