Which is better: Porta-potty? Cassette? RV toilet with Black tank? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape has a 19 gal. black tank, so you lug your 5 gal. tank to the washrooms four times before I have to empty. And, my black tank is on wheels .
Old 04-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
As described, you remove the tank and find someplace to dump it. Then you usually have to find a way to rinse the outside that gets splashed while dumping. I had one of these many years ago and will never own another one.

Charlie Y
It is still easier than dumping a black tank. First removing the cap, hoping there is no residue in the pipe, and there always is a wee bit. Draining is no problem. Then when removing the stinky slinky, hoping there is no little dribble left there, and there always is. Then you have to rinse out the pipe, and with the ribs, it never comes perfectly clean. Saying all this, it really is not that much of a bother to me.

However, given that I mostly boondock, the idea of easy dumping without moving the trailer appeals to me. If you are careful, you just replace the cap, I don't remember having to clean the outside of our porta potti, though that was some time ago now. I also love the clean look, as the piping just hanging under a trailer, is less than appealing to me.

I have never used this cassette system and have in the last few days looked at that. I really like the idea of that system. Pulling out and dumping a cassette would be WAY easier than the whole stinky slinky process, plus you get to avoid those stupidly long lines that often queue at dumping stations.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and, a cassette is easily adaptable to winter use via filling the cassette tank with windshield washer fluid, inexpensive and you do not have to dewinterize the rest of the trailer but still have a onboard toilet to use when it is cold outside.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #24
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
plus you get to avoid those stupidly long lines that often queue at dumping stations.
The only bad childhood memory related to camping. Sitting in the back seat, early in the morning, waiting for our turn to dump.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I love the scene of Robin Williams emptying the tank in his rented "RV".

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay...ttvi_vi_imdb_2

Stinky Slinky at 1:50
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #26

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I have never used anything but the cassette system. I can attest that it is clean. It is totally closed until you take the lid off to dump. If you use the chemical there is very little or no smell. It is simple and there are no bulky pipes under the trailer. Win, win...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #27

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
I do feel, however, that the porta-potty does not fit with the rest of the trailer. I consider that any split-system porta-potty is entry-level facilities.

The Nest is definitely a premium trailer, and the porta-potty, in my mind, clashes. Campers fall into definite strata - the rough-its all the way to the glampers. I question how many people who will spring for a Nest also fall into the porta-potty set.
"The Curve" Regular Price $215.00, on sale $155.00+
"AquaMagic V" Regular Price $230.00, on sale $200.00

I find "The Curve" to be a very close comparison to a "regular" RV toilet and is much simpler to own. I have an "AquaMagic V" in my Fiber Stream EGGSTASY, but I chose "The Curve" for my Compact Jr. BOOMERANG. While the Compact Jr. might have originally been "entry-level" it is fully equipped now and is more of a touring vehicle than a camper.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Were not retired so when we leave camp the line out on Sunday sucks. When I had the motor home I was stuck in the line. With the scamp I am no longer tied to that dump schedule. Dumping one or the other isn't a big deal its the waiting line that makes it a chore.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #29

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
ok...I can see....

the line-up thing would be a real pain.....not a problem here...if there's somebody using I just go to the next place....here it's either free with fill-up or by "donation".....if it ever became a problem I'd put in a stub out of my house plumbing and dump there...where I park
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote