Which one to pick - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Not to discourage you from a 15' Escape, as they definitely look drool-worthy, but even in a basic 13-footer you still can have a Porta-potti or WAG bags, so you don't have to run to the campground bathroom in the middle of a rainy night.

One could always make up a curtain that would divide the camper in half (more or less), so that whomever was using the "bathroom" had privacy.

Again, nothing wrong with buying an egg that has a "real" bathroom, but on the other hand, those of us in basic 13-ers aren't necessarily hiking out in the rain, either

Good luck on the hunt!

Raya

Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Hi all,

I am now pretty much narrowed down between the Escape 15' floor plan B or the Casita Spirit deluxe 16'. Now it is the question which one to buy. New or used. If used, I would have to go for Casita, as there are rarely Escapes for sale.

Tonight I am going to tally up total prices, including options for both in new. And I keep looking further. Thank you all for the very valuable tips. Donna, your idea of using a trailer dolly made me think that also I can go beyond 13', as that gives me and my daughter more living space.

Gerda

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Gerda,

There are currently no Escape 15's yet on the market - construction will start in November and Escape is currently taking orders into Jan 2010.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #18

Registry
Yes I know. The 15' would need to be new. I already am e-mailing with Tammy. If used, it would have to be a young Casita. However, comparing the interiors and exteriors, I just am in love with the Escape campers. Would love to see finally a 15'. By the way, the next available spot for a 15' is March 2010!

Gerda
Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
By the way, the next available spot for a 15' is March 2010!

Gerda
Sounds good to me. You wouldn't have to winter it over... and you'd have a brand new trailer in time for camping season to start
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #20

Registry
And the saga goes on. Here an update on my fiberglass search. Following trailers are options for me. Prices listed are excluding tax and fees that might apply. Advantages and disadvantages are listed below each:

a) Escape 15' plan B, including all options desired, about 19500 US$
Pluses:
- just love the design (interior and exterior)
- no carpet walls
- size of fridge 3 cuft
- size nice, still easy to handle
Minuses:
- price way above the larger Casita
- I like the floor plan of the Casita Spirit Deluxe a bit better
- no second seating area (bed must be made each night)
- this trailer has to be seen yet in reality
- it takes long to get hands on one of those

Escape 13' plan B, including all options desired, about 16500 US$
Pluses:
- just love the design (interior and exterior)
- no carpet walls
- easy to handle (probably the easiest going of the pack), would make short
weekend getaways really quick
Minuses:
- price still above the larger Casita
- I like the floor plan of the Casita Spirit Deluxe a bit better
- no second seating area (bed must be made each night)
- small fridge
- perhaps a little small overall
- it takes long to get hands on one of those

c) Casita 16' Spirit Deluxe, including all options desired, about 15500 US$
Pluses:
- price (would safe me almost 5K over the 15' Escape)
- fine design (interior and exterior)
- wonderful floor plan with extra seating area AND bathroom
- bed can stay bed all day long
Minuses:
- still prefer the design from Escape
- the Escape choices could be easier to handle for me (lower hitch weight)
- small fridge (only 1.9 cuft)
- carpet walls and ceiling
- my heart is with Escape

Here now I am asking a favor from you guys. Please give me an open and humble opinion on those choices. Can I justify paying about 5K more on a smaller trailer? How do the Casitas and Escapes compare if it comes to quality of the parts and appliances used in them and quality of the build? Overall, I am still tending towards the 15' Escape or 16' Casita, thinking that I might regret taking the smaller 13'.

Thanks,

Gerda
Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #21

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Have you ever owned a trailer with just a dinette. I have and it can get old setting the bed up and down then finding enough room to store your blankets and pillows. The scamp 16 would have the advantage of keeping the bed down for longer periods of time to read, quick nap, or throw stuff on while using the side dinette. I like the escape 15 footer but that price point seems high for a single dinette floorplan. Scamp gives you the bath, floorplan and cheaper price point. You also live closer to scamp for warranty work ( I personally trust the factory work most). Also with scamp, this forum has shown you could sell it some day for around 10 grand. Paying 20 grand for the escape 15... It remains to be seen what you could sell it for some day if you out grow it. Good luck on your purchase. It's a tough decision.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We are also researching to buy in the spring. One thing that you should consider is bed size. The Escape 15 is a full (54") bed. The Casita 16 is 48". If you look at Scamp 13, look at the deluxe models also. They have the wood cabinets. And the Scamp 13' deluxe has a 53" bed.

Since there are only 2 of us I have been considering somehow getting the Escape custom made with a queen (60") bed with half fixed and the other half dinette. Then somehow tossing the bed half on the dinette side to the fixed side to make the dinette. But maybe a 30" dinette would not be wide enough.

BTW most of my information and ideas have come from reading this site.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Five words with the Escape... no rivets/dual-pane windows. I know where my heart lies, but that's my choice and my wallet. The one thing I wouldn't worry about is resell on an Escape. You'll either keep it forever or it will resell just as fast (or faster) than the other brands. As far as I know, unless you live within driving distance of any of the manufacturers, all of them cover warranty work done elsewhere... whether that's your local RV dealer or a Camping World-type place. The only thing you need to do is contact the manufacturer for the go ahead.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #24

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
It is amazing how much more comfortable the 16' UHaul is over the 13' Burro we had. That tiny bit of space and the bathroom go far toward making the larger trailer more comfortable. In the Burro, I took the bed down all the time, even though we had made a front dinette. It just compensated for lack of space. With the larger UHaul. we don't take the bed down.

BTW, I love Backbone too. I caught one of my 4 trout there. We went swimming there a lot when we lived in Elkader. Did they get that lake fixed? It has been many years now, but it had silted in badly.
That is a drive for you from Madison to Strawberry Point, isn't it?

CindyL
Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #25

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
We had a 13 ft. 1983 Casita-loved it! No bathroom-did have a/c-we like roughing it a little.
City codes say we can`t park it in the driveway or back yard, which it where we were going to store it.
We kept it at a family farm but had a 45 minute drive to get it when we needed it. We sold it and bought a Compact Jr. When the top is down-it will fit in our garage. It is not as cute as the Casita-but we like the big bed.
Our new cushion covers are going to be ready this weekend, New carpet will go in after some new wiring is done. It has no bathroom but does have enough storage for our port a potty.
We are removing the furnace and putting an a/c there. We put in a new refrigerator.
The outside is in really good shape-just need some new screens on the popup top.
Our kids say it looks like a pet carrier-just needs a handle on top.
I have named it the `Road Toad-just hopping along`
Will post pictures when it is all dolled up.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Gerda, how did you work your math on the Escape prices?

The 15B is $18,300 CAD, or $16, 708.54 USD (using today's exchange rate of 1 CAD = .913035 USD)

The 13B is $16,200 CAD, or $14, 791.17 USD

What am I missing, is it all in the options you want? And if so, does the Casita even offer them, and did you include them in the comparison.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #27

Registry
Hi all,

I can tell you exactly how my math went. I just gave you some rough numbers earlier. Got some real world quotes today. Let's take the example of the 15' B Escape and the 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe:

Escape with dual 6V battery, protection cover, bike rack ready, dual propane, Maxx, front rock guard, thermal windows and insulation extra, starter pkg, hitch wheel: 20900 Canadian Dollar. About 19100 US Dollar. I opted out on AC. Obviously, furnace is included. I would travel to Manitoba to pick the trailer up, which is about 10.5 hours from Madison Wisconsin. Good excuse though to give it a first try... Just came off the phone with Tammy. By the way, the quote on the 17B with same options is 22525 Canadian Dollars, which would be 20550 US Dollar. I did not ask for the 13', but that one is around 16500 US Dollar with those options; I tallied it up yesterday.

Casita with furnace, AC, awning, range cover, sink cover, accessory package, sway bar, roof vent, outside shower, water heater upgrade, high lift axle, vinyl flooring AND delivery to my house door for a total of about 16300 US Dollar. E-mail quote from Jonathan at Casita as of today.

My gut feeling is that the Escape is worth the extra money...

Gerda
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Gotcha Gerda, it seems you have more costly options on the Escape compared to the Casita, but then you would have to figure in something for shipping, though a road trip to Cilliwack would be fun too.

I know exactly what you are going through, I was going back an forth between these two manufacturers (I had liked the Oliver until the price was revealed). I am quite sure I made the right choice.

Donna makes a good point on the resale consideration, in that there are next to no Escapes available used. People like them too much to want to sell, it seems. And, if they do go up for sale, they get picked up fairly quick.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote