Which sells easier? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Posts: 75
Which used trailer sells easier, 5th wheel or conventional type? We're not proven trailer enthusiasts. So I would like to give some consideration (little really) to what type of trailer sells easier than another in case the experience doesn't work out.
__________________

__________________
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Member
 
Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Posts: 75
OK, no response yet. How about a conventional trailer will typically sell easier because more buyers would be able to tow it?
__________________

__________________
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
John Perry's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Posts: 471
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Which used trailer sells easier, 5th wheel or conventional type? We're not proven trailer enthusiasts. So I would like to give some consideration (little really) to what type of trailer sells easier than another in case the experience doesn't work out.
My opinion is that your market is much larger for a pull trailer as you do not need a pick up to tow it.
I have a pick up but I would rather have the PU bed for extra storage on long trips.
John
__________________
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Posts: 944
Zeb,

This is just my opinion, no experience here in buying selling.

Seems to me there are more people able to pull and afford the smaller units, and with the cost of gas always going up the smaller units should continue to be in demand.

If you are so unsure maybe you should buy a used (fiberglass) unit that you could probably sell if you really hated it and not take too much of a hit at resale. I say fiberglass because you probably would take a hit on a stick built used unit. We only wanted new so did not look for used.

We thought long and hard and got the 13 because of the amount of driving we planned to do and there was not a worry about the tow vehicle being too small, we can go smaller with a tow vehicle if we want. The same argument could be used for buying a 16 or 17 over the 5th wheel. More possible buyers out there to take that 16 or 17.

Having said that we stopped at the Escape factory and fell in love with their 5th wheel (and other units). The reality of us spending more on gas brought us back to being quite happy with our 13. Also that little guy is just so easy to park in places others can't park.

Nancy in Northern MN
__________________
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Zeb,

Of the nearly 50 Brands of trailers made I know of only 3 Brands that have or are making 5th wheels. All three are still being made, Escape, Scamp, Bigfoot.

All of the “Molded Fiberglass Trailers” have a very high resell value.

Speed of sale has to do with PRICE more then model. If you are wanting to get the Maximum price it may take a while.

When I was in the printing business they had a saying, There are three things in printing, Quality, Speed, & Price; Pick any two.

Selling a trailer is the same thing, a great trailer (quality) for top dollar (price) may take a while (speed) to sell.

To me the better question is, “What will meet my needs and make me happy?” Then finding the right Brand, Year Model, at the right price.

I hope this helps,
Mike

__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Zeb,

Of the nearly 50 Brands of trailers made I know of only 3 Brands that have or are making 5th wheels. All three are still being made, Escape, Scamp, Bigfoot.

All of the “Molded Fiberglass Trailers” have a very high resell value.

Speed of sale has to do with PRICE more then model. If you are wanting to get the Maximum price it may take a while.

When I was in the printing business they had a saying, There are three things in printing, Quality, Speed, & Price; Pick any two.

Selling a trailer is the same thing, a great trailer (quality) for top dollar (price) may take a while (speed) to sell.

To me the better question is, “What will meet my needs and make me happy?” Then finding the right Brand, Year Model, at the right price.

I hope this helps,
Mike

Zeb, I agree with Mike on this one... value for the price is the predominant factor; but you'll also find that the market for conventional trailers is larger than that for fifth wheels. Fifth wheels sell well, just not perhaps as quickly as a conventional trailer in the same condition at the same price points.

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
The "fifth wheel" style is certainly a specialty, within the already niche market of our small moulded trailers; however, it seems that when someone decides they want one, they are very happy to be able to find one. My guess is that anyone who buys a Scamp 19' or Escape 5.0 today will be able to sell it next year... but it might take a few weeks to find the right buyer. Only a guess...

By the way, the Scamp 19' is not actually a fifth-wheel... it uses a socket coupler on a ball (like conventional trailers), not a fifth-wheel hitch. Doesn't matter much - it's still a trailer only for trucks with a hitch in pickup bed.

Mike, there was also a Quantum fifth-wheel, and Bigfoot doesn't do fifth-wheels any more.



P.S. Roger, great job on the Albums... found all sorts of new stuff there when looking for the Quantum link!
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Thanks Brian, I stand corrected.
__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
The "fifth wheel" style is certainly a specialty, within the already niche market of our small moulded trailers; however, it seems that when someone decides they want one, they are very happy to be able to find one. My guess is that anyone who buys a Scamp 19' or Escape 5.0 today will be able to sell it next year... but it might take a few weeks to find the right buyer. Only a guess...

By the way, the Scamp 19' is not actually a fifth-wheel... it uses a socket coupler on a ball (like conventional trailers), not a fifth-wheel hitch. Doesn't matter much - it's still a trailer only for trucks with a hitch in pickup bed.

Mike, there was also a Quantum fifth-wheel, and Bigfoot doesn't do fifth-wheels any more.
P.S. Roger, great job on the Albums... found all sorts of new stuff there when looking for the Quantum link!

Thanks Brian... the albums are still a work in progress...

and just to keep houskeeping straight, even though the Scamp 19' doesn't use a conventional fifth wheel plate and pin, it is still advertised and sold as a 'fifth wheel'... it's actually a gooseneck trailer (with even an unconventional hitch setup for a gooseneck), but I think that's splitting hairs for our purposes.

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
...and just to keep houskeeping straight, even though the Scamp 19' doesn't use a conventional fifth wheel plate and pin, it is still advertised and sold as a 'fifth wheel'... it's actually a gooseneck trailer (with even an unconventional hitch setup for a gooseneck), but I think that's splitting hairs for our purposes.
Actually, it's not a gooseneck, either, since it does not have a narrow neck leading to the hitch head - it's wide like any other similarly shaped RV trailer. The lack of a good name for this setup (not quite a semi-trailer) is certainly confusing, and people selling ball hitches mounted in truck beds as "gooseneck" hitches (because the most common use is with genuine gooseneck trailers) don't help.

I agree, the hitch distinction doesn't matter much... which is what I meant by "Doesn't matter much - it's still a trailer only for trucks with a hitch in pickup bed." It does matter a little, since the Scamp setup is quite unusual (high, and 2", where most bed-mounted ball hitches are low and 2-5/16") which could hurt resale potential, especially for a potential buyer who wants to tow other trailers with a bed-mounted hitch (ball or pin-and-plate) in the same truck.
__________________

__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who sells parts for Catalina awing in Lower Mainland BC Carol H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 09-10-2009 12:17 PM
WalMart sells Haier AC units. Are they OK for campers? Art OC Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 05-26-2008 11:27 PM
Easier said than done Frederick L. Simson Modifications, Alterations and Updates 18 07-25-2007 11:54 PM
Renovation/Fix-Up... Easier or Harder than you thought? Buck62 General Chat 22 02-18-2007 04:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.